Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok after calling some body shops I found most places wanted anywere from 1000-1400 CDN to paint my bike.

Then to my surprised I called LINCON dealer and asked to speak to their body shop guy. He tells me If I can take everything apart ( front crowl, lower fairing, tank, and the rear) he could do it for around 300$ CDN with 3 coats of paint plus 2 coat of clear. I told him I would have my bike apart ASAP!

How hard is this going to be to take off all the pieces so it can be painted (btw I am going for a high gloss black). Can some one who has done this plz post some specific instructions or turn me to a web site.

My main concern is removing the tank. How do i remove all the fuel and remove the tank? Can I do this job? is it possible?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey, well I cant really tell you how to preceed at this moment, I know someone who has done this, taken everything apart, including the gas tank. Therefore it is possible. If ever I talk to him and find out how, I will post it for you...then again, im sure someone will answer first! But yeah, its possible. And isnt it amazing, how much cheaper it is when you take it apart yourself, 300$ is great!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
now i am thinking because the tank and rear end is still perfect i could simply remove the decals and just get the front crowl/fender and lower fairing all in high gloss black to give it a 2 color combo look. I sketched it out on a pad and colored it in it looks pretty good. Plus it will be less in cost of painting.

What you guys think? black front with silver tank and rear. BTW engine is all nice and black.

·
Registered
70 Posts
nah, go with all black. and as for the tank thing, go to kmart nad buy syphon and see if it gets it all, if it leaves a litle, i guess run it for a minute or just take it off and pour it out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I say both could be nice, but like said, I think all black would be better. The contrast of black and silver can be nice, but one color, black, would look quite neat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For a saving that good definately take it apart. It really isn't that difficult and can all probably be done using just that nifty stock tool set :)

All the fairings/cowlings come off pretty easily. Check your manual to find out where some of the holding screws are hiding. Once all that's off, stuff like the windshield & turn signals are easy to unscrew. You might even consider putting some flushmounts before you reassemble.

For the tank... take it for a ride and get it as empty as possible first. Remove it just like you would to replace an airfilter. Turn off fuel and disconnect the 2 lines. You can prob drain the rest of the fuel through these lines once it's removed. There should be a screw just below the front of the seat then the tank just pulls out.

And share the pics once it's done! :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
d0hnj0e said:
ok after calling some body shops I found most places wanted anywere from 1000-1400 CDN to paint my bike.

Then to my surprised I called LINCON dealer and asked to speak to their body shop guy. He tells me If I can take everything apart ( front crowl, lower fairing, tank, and the rear) he could do it for around 300$ CDN with 3 coats of paint plus 2 coat of clear. I told him I would have my bike apart ASAP!

How hard is this going to be to take off all the pieces so it can be painted (btw I am going for a high gloss black). Can some one who has done this plz post some specific instructions or turn me to a web site.

My main concern is removing the tank. How do i remove all the fuel and remove the tank? Can I do this job? is it possible?

I took all my parts in to have my bike painted. As for the tank, I rode the bike till it was onto the reserve tank. just disconnect the two hoses on the petcock and take the single bolt under the seat out and your tank is off.Before you take the tank off, you need to remove the side panels. Before you remove them, you need to remove the grab bar in the rear so you can get at the screws under it. Also take off the black shield around the license plate light in the rear. There is one screw on the side of each of the panels. Put them all in a labeled bag so you dont forget where they go. The small piece between the panels behind the grab bar is self explanatory. Next take the tank off as described above. Put all the rubber pieces and the bolt in a bag. You can take the belly pan off at any time. There are two screws right below the radiator in the front and two bolts on the bottom in the rear of it. To get the upper cowl off, there are two bolts under the headlight, one screw on each side that go up from the bottom into the gas tank (make sure to take this off before trying to get the tank off), and the mirrors also need to come off to get it off. After you have all the screws/bolts off, unplug the headlight from behind it, and also unplug the directionals. Now you can take the whole thing off and take the windscreen, directionals, headlight, and rubber strips that set against the gas tank all off. Keep track of what screws go to what. To get the front fender off, the front tire needs to come off. If you dont have stands, you can do what I did...I went to a local shop and paid them $10 bucks to use their stands and tools. If you want them to do it for you, it wont be more than a half an hour of labor. Just remove the 4 bolts (2 on each side), the speedo cable guide, and brake cable guide. Bring your parts to get painted and put them on in reverse order. When i got my parts back i did the same to put the front fender on, only I put it in a backpack and rode the bike to the shop. Hope this helped. Feel free to PM me for more info or help.

Hope this helps a little.

d0hnj0e said:
now i am thinking because the tank and rear end is still perfect i could simply remove the decals and just get the front crowl/fender and lower fairing all in high gloss black to give it a 2 color combo look. I sketched it out on a pad and colored it in it looks pretty good. Plus it will be less in cost of painting.

What you guys think? black front with silver tank and rear. BTW engine is all nice and black.

I used photoshop to try different color schemes and different decal locations to see what looked good. The decals you see on my bike were a carbon fiber set I got off ebay for a zx-9r, I just obviously didn't use the 9R decals. The slashes you see are decals i picked up at advanced auto parts...they are actually meant for a car, I just didn't use the whole kit.
TuckNRide said something about flush mounts. If you are going to do them, this is the best time. I cut down my rear fender put flush mounts in the rear. I bought flush mounts for the front, but they didnt mount flush due to the shape of the cowl, so i used epoxy to attatch them to the original rubber boot that the stock signals were on. They look a lot better than stock and only stick out an inch if that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts