Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to go back to the '70's?

Seriously...Has anyone seen a stock or mildly modded 4-cyl sportbike that has a reasonably retro upright ride and is almost completely naked? Not you...the bike.

Also...how difficult would it be to make a 600ZZR naked? Doesn't it have some kind of fairing induction? Induction might be the wrong word...

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
You'll only have to go back to 1983! LOL

You are not a lone. The closest thing available is the W650, and they quit importing them earlier this decade.

I will use my tax return to buy one next year, if I can find one!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just love the EVIL sound of a well respirated medium to large displacement 4-cyl sportbike.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
yeah, I understand. That's part of the reason I like the twins. Ever since I heard a Honda Superhawk one time with a great sounding exhaust, I've wanted to have a big twin sport bike. I just got my 650R and going to do some work on it next year, but I don't think it will sound like the big V Suzi would.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Was the W650 a 4-cyl?
[edit] Specifications
MSRP $6.500 USD
676 cc
Air-cooled, SOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, vertical (parallel) twin
50 bhp claimed at 7,000 rpm
Torque: 42.2 lb/ft at 5,600
8.7:1 compression
Electric and kick starters
Digital CDI ignition
Twin Keihin CVK34 carburetors with K-TRIC system.
Final drive: Five speed constant mesh, return shift.
Chain drive (KX-inspired chain adjusters)

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts

Seriously...Has anyone seen a stock or mildly modded 4-cyl sportbike that has a reasonably retro upright ride and is almost completely naked? Not you...the bike...
Sounds like you wanna find a ZRX-1100/1200

Classic/Retro styling with modern muscle and components. Not for the faint of heart, though!

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts

Seriously...Has anyone seen a stock or mildly modded 4-cyl sportbike that has a reasonably retro upright ride and is almost completely naked? Not you...the bike.

Also...how difficult would it be to make a 600ZZR naked? Doesn't it have some kind of fairing induction? Induction might be the wrong word...

Thanks for the help!
The KZ1000 was a really good bike. Millions were used by cop services, so there are lots of them around.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The new Suzuki Bandit or possibly the Suzuki B-King might be what your looking for. The Kawasaki Z1000 and the Yamaha FZ-1 are supposed to be upright naked sportbikes but they seems more sportbike and less upright to me.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Lots of Zephyrs, Nighthawks, etc from the 90s. Big heavy aircooled fours. Very nice but not much more technology on them than what you'd find in a 70s bike.

I personally like the looks of these bikes WAY more than a modern naked 4. Z1000 etc are just fugly.

A big +1 on the ZRX1200!! I love those bikes. I'd love to have one after a few more years are under my belt.

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
Yamaha FZ6?? Inline-4, 98hp, upright seating, naked streetbike. Sounds like you might want to check it out. FZ1 maybe since you're 6'1". Uses R1 engine and I think it's 135+ hp at the wheel.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Lots of Zephyrs, Nighthawks, etc from the 90s. Big heavy aircooled fours. Very nice but not much more technology on them than what you'd find in a 70s bike.

I personally like the looks of these bikes WAY more than a modern naked 4. Z1000 etc are just fugly.

A big +1 on the ZRX1200!! I love those bikes. I'd love to have one after a few more years are under my belt.
That's what I like about the ZRX. They intenionally tried to give it some "retro" styling cues. The 919, Bandit, Z-1000, etc.., are all great bikes, but if you like the look of an old UJM muscle-bike, the ZRX is about as close as you'll find right now.

I keep toying with the idea of replacing my old ZX-10 with one, when the time comes. It'ed make a nice sport-touring platform, but I want a bit more fairing. But what I want, changes on a weekly basis (which is why I sill have the ol' 10 :biggrin: )

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Didn't think of that. They did a comparison, FZ1 vs. R1 on motorcycle.com and they were really impressed with the FZ1 even though it weighs like 100 pounds more or something.

Sit Up or Lay Down?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That's what I like about the ZRX. They intenionally tried to give it some "retro" styling cues. The 919, Bandit, Z-1000, etc.., are all great bikes, but if you like the look of an old UJM muscle-bike, the ZRX is about as close as you'll find right now.

I keep toying with the idea of replacing my old ZX-10 with one, when the time comes. It'ed make a nice sport-touring platform, but I want a bit more fairing. But what I want, changes on a weekly basis (which is why I sill have the ol' 10 :biggrin: )
Plus the 1200 gives you the advantages of liquid cooling. I wish they had a 600 version of it TBH. 1200 is out of my league at the moment.

I've heard rumours that honda is going to bring back the CB750 stateside. They have a version of it in Japan now which is essentially the Nighthawk unaltered from 2002. Maybe they'll realize retro UJMs are in demand over here... I'm considering buying a friend's neglected Kz750 in the meantime.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yamaha FZ6?? Inline-4, 98hp, upright seating, naked streetbike. Sounds like you might want to check it out. FZ1 maybe since you're 6'1". Uses R1 engine and I think it's 135+ hp at the wheel.
Wow.

WOW!!!

Thanks StreakingTiger...you may have just found my next bike!!!

Here is one of my favorite things about those Japanese I-4's when they are naked...reminds me of a KZ1000...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts