Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wink: ok so i am a girl but all my guy friends have bikes and they always tease me on how i would never be able to ride one so being that summer is coming and i have all this free time on my hands im gonna get one... any suggestions on what i should get? i saw all the start out in the dirt stuff and take the classes... ok the classes thats cool but id rather skip the dirt! I saw this Kawasaki Ninja 250R that I really liked any opinions on that?
Thanks xoxo
-Holly-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gender isn't a problem

Ok being a girl...... well nobody will hold that against you, as long as your keen on riding bikes. If you have never riden a bike, then start off small and work your way up, but in the end it's all about power between your legs and wind in your face. If you like the sweat curves of a mountian road or the straight line of the open highway. It's all good, but be safe. A good ride is ending the day with everything intact... Riding with friends is good but learn at your own pace, never be pushed past your comfort zone, that's when accidents happen. See on the road, smile and have fun.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
welcome to the "brotherhood" don't forget to give all of us the secret wave

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you don't like the dirt that is ok. Just take the msf course :) the 250 is alright if it fits you. If you can't touch the ground with both feet then try a lower slung bike untill you get a lot of experience. It is great to have women riding and we hope to see you around for a long time.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Take the MSF course!!! For a starter bike 250 is good, but shop around and get what your comfortable with not what looks "cool!!" Be sure you get all the right gear and practice, practice, practice. When I got my bike I took it to an open parking lot and practiced away from the cars. I have had my bike since October 03 and just turned 3000 miles on thursday night!!
Just remember, don't let the bike control you, you are in control of that bike.

Good luck and have fun!! :wink:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Right on! Glad to hear you're interested in learning to ride! I would snag that 250 if it looks to be in good shape and runs good. If you have a few of your "bike" friends come with you and help you take a look at it, I'm sure it will help. I picked up a 250 about a month ago and I totally love it, Hehe, almost 1500 miles... But yes, definately need to buy a full set of gear to be prepared. The MSF course is probably the only reason why I haven't layed the bike down yet. I also highly recommend it!

Don't forget to make sure you find a good helmet that fits well though... it's no fun wearing something that doesn't fit right for hours.

Hope to hear from you again soon... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great!!

:D Yall are great! Thanks so much for all of it... My dad is totally excited about it, we talked for along time about it the other day and he says he would love to help me learn (cuz he use to ride) so I got a pro to teach me... My mom on the other hand isn't so sure, she says its not me she doesn't trust its other people driving, says they have no respect for motorcyclist.. and plus I'm a girl and a little one at that she says. About 120 pounds but I told her I'm gonna do it regardless just so now I can prove her wrong! Again yall are amazing thanks....
Where exactly do I find this class at and what do I need to take it? Like should I get the bike first? I would think so but I have no idea!
-And the bike is brand new? Is that bad?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Re: great!!

Itsmepoo said:
:D Yall are great! Thanks so much for all of it... My dad is totally excited about it, we talked for along time about it the other day and he says he would love to help me learn (cuz he use to ride) so I got a pro to teach me... My mom on the other hand isn't so sure, she says its not me she doesn't trust its other people driving, says they have no respect for motorcyclist.. and plus I'm a girl and a little one at that she says. About 120 pounds but I told her I'm gonna do it regardless just so now I can prove her wrong! Again yall are amazing thanks....
Where exactly do I find this class at and what do I need to take it? Like should I get the bike first? I would think so but I have no idea!
-And the bike is brand new? Is that bad?
Here is the website for the MSF course. http://www.msf-usa.org
I did'nt have my bike until a year later (for finacial reasons). You don't have to have a bike to take the course. Your mom is right, it is the "drivers" you have to watch out for, riding has definetly made me a better "rider" and "driver." You will be fine.
My bike is a 2004 right out of the showroom, but that does'nt mean that you have to get your first bike brand new, everyone's "budget" is different and for me I wanted brand new w/a warranty etc. Check out www.cycletrader.com ......good deals on pre-owned bikes, for your first bike this is a great option.
PM if you would like to chat more or have any other questions.
And this forum is a good resource, there is alot of experienced riders out there that are very helpful!!

Have fun!!! :wink:

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
YESSS, Another woman who wants to drive. I absolutely love it. I wish more women in upstate New York would start to drive.

If you have a Motorcycle Saftey course available....take it. If you don't but have willing friends and family to help, that's great too. My dad help to teach me how to drive, he's been riding now for over 30 years. I also used to ride on the back of his bike until I got of to where I could afford to get my liscense, so I was a rider for 15 years, then became a driver. I've been driving now for 6 years. I love every minute of it.

So again, welcome to the world of motorcycling. Drive safe, have fun, and let the good times roll.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome, good to see responsible people getting into motorcycling. I'm pretty new myself but having fun just the same. Practice safety, then emergency situations, then going fast :D

see ya around

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello Holly. Taking the course is single best thing you can do. One of the worst things you can do is to get your father to teach you. Unless he is a certified MSF instructor it is a bad idea. Statistically the majority of riders that get into accidents are trained by either a family member or friend. I know your dad means well, but just let him know that you should learn the proper way to ride from a certified instructor. You don't want your father to teach you any bad habits that may cause you to have an accident later, when the accident could have been completely avoided because you knew the proper thing to do in that situation. And ya know what, why don't you get your dad to take the class with you? I'm sure you'd both love it, and it would be a great way for both of you to spend time together and share an activity/hobby. And when you do go buy a bike get a used one. As a beginner you are likely to drop your bike at some point, better to do it on a used ride than a brand new one that will break your heart when it happens. A great site for beginners is www.beginnerbikes.com Check it out!! It is a great site with plenty of good advice, and not just for beginners either!! I have learned so much from that site! Good luck to you Holly and ride safe!!

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
I'm a girl Toooooo

I AM A GIRL TOOOO......... I have been riding motorcycles for over 25 years. I love motorcycles and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I started out in a vacant parking lot on a little Honda 250. I learned to shift, turn and brake properly. I took the safety course to get the discount on my insurance. After I felt comfortable on it I started looking for a larger bike. Fell in love with BMW's (I was rich and single then). Ended up buying a new 1984 BMW R80RT full dresser with faring and bags. They lowered the shocks for me so I could put both feet flat on the ground. My BMW is parked awaiting a rebuild and I am riding my Kawi 550. Just bought a KZ750 LTD...something I have always wanted to own. I am always encouraging other ladies to ride too. Its an adventure. I have ridden in every type of weather, even snow. I guess I am a die hard biker!!!! :D
Definitely take the safety course. Anyone, even the most seasoned riders benefit from the skills they teach. Happy and Safe Riding

·
Registered
91 Posts
I say take the MSF course with your Dad. Includes him AND you get to learn to ride in a SAFE sure manner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MSF

I have been riding a couple of years and just took the MSF basic course. Besides some good fundamental skills they teach you, you also will get a discount from most insurance companies for having taken the course and most states will either pay for the course or subsidize it and some will indorse your license without and extra test when you present your MSF completion card. All around a good deal and a good ideal. (2004 ZZR1200) :mrgreen:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hehehe. I'm a guy, I'm only 18 and I ride an EXF 250 Ninja. I startes riding in April 2003 when I was 17. If a kid my age can't crash it, you can't! The thing is great to start on. By December I'll have a new ZX-6RR, and the experience wll help ten fold! Great on gas on safe as hell, is what I say! So yeah, I ride this thing year round too! If anyone here lives in Hamilton, you've probably seen me on the roads! Green HJC helmet, black and white and grey Alpinestars jacket... Ex 250=good times for newbs, like me! :(

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

look at all the girls riding :shock: i'm liking it :lol:

gear up ladies,
kickstands up in 30 minutes :lol:

ride safe!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
ZX-6RR Ninja said:
Hehehe. I'm a guy, I'm only 18 and I ride an EXF 250 Ninja. I startes riding in April 2003 when I was 17. If a kid my age can't crash it, you can't!
Don't take this the wrong way but people perform differently on different machines. Always, always, always assume that the worst could happen and rely on experience and the MSF safety course to help you through it.

P.S. This is my first real post, I just bought a great 1980 kz650, I know it's old but I like the style, it's one of the best I've sat on because i'm 6'4" and 296 lbs. I look about 225 because of the muscle so all the dealers tried to get me to buy a more expensive, more painful (to my back) crotch rocket. No offense guys, I love most all motorcycles to death.

Stew (Denver, CO)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts