Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am completely new to riding motorcycles and I'm 18 years old. So far, I have never been on one once. I've decided to buy a bike instead of a car though, it's more practical for me in terms of price and parking etc. Not to mention, I've always been in love with sport bikes. In 2 weeks I'll be starting a basic training course on learning how to ride and defensive riding etc. My question to you guys is, what bike should I get. I love Kawasaki's sport bikes. The model I want is the Ninja ZX-6R. I love the way it looks and the performance looks unbelievable..So the other side to this question would be, is this bike too much for me? Can I start out on a Ninja ZX-6R? I can easily afford it but will I be able to handle it? Any suggestions would be appreciated! :roll:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine and your situation is almost the same, I will to be starting my basic riders course soon and I own a ZX-6R(i am also pretty new to motorcycling). I would greatly recomend the zx6r but thats just me. Some of the other guys in this place would recomend the EX 500 or the 250 before they would the zx6r. I think that the 6 is only a good beginner bike if you are not stupid and drive responsibly and know your own limits.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. I just am inlove with the ZX-6R. I think it's the most beautiful bike on the market. I also like the Ninja 500R, but the ZX-6R is just..gorgeous. That bike turns me on. But I'm also terrified of it. I know it's bigger than me so I plan to learn how to use it with extreme caution. I suggest we both take our training and see how confident we are after that. =)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well all I can say is that ive been riding only a few months now and im 20 yrs old. Like you, I checked for 250cc and 500cc, but the model I liked was the 600cc. The ZX-6r is beautiful, but I got my hands on a ZX-6 at a good price, so I took it. Since im fairly new to driving, I noticed that this thing has ALOT of power, but as was said before, if your responsible and able to set your limits, you will be fine with the bike. I think the Zx-6r is lighter then the zx-6, and even with the heavier bike, I find it ok, a bit overwelming at first, but it was easy to get used to (overwelming considering I drove a scooter from 14 to 16,and that was really light!). Anywho, I think the 600cc is a perfect bike to start off with if you are responsible and take it one step at a time, test the bike when u first start driving it and you will get used to it really fast. I LOVE MY BIKE NOW! And there is no way I would go to a 250 or a 500cc now that I have my ZX-6. ( and no im not bashing the 250 or 500, they are very good bikes also!).

There you go, hope it helped.

Dave

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi guys!

I own a ZX-6RR and I absolutely love it!! Yes it's very powerful, yes it's very fast and yes it looks awesome! :D but like kmcbee said, you have to learn how to ride the bike and know your own limits. Start by going to the riding course, then start slow, don't try to burn up the country side! Then Practice, practice, practice! :wink: Use a parking lot. I did that a lot before going into traffic, I wanted to know exactly how the bike will react in different situations. Practice with the brakes, slow stops, fast stops, lock-up the rear brake, etc. Safely of course!

I drive my bike every day to work and I don't speed. I'm very careful and I'm always looking out for what the cars and trucks will do next! Think ahead! Way ahead! Leaving enough space between you and the car ahead!

I have found that the most challenging situations when riding my bike is when I'm going very slow 10, 20 and 30 MPH, mostly at intersections, pulling out from gas stations, parking lots, etc. But once you learn how to deal with these situations, you will feel a lot better on this bike!

On the other hand I don't know if at 18 I could have handled myself in the way I do now! :wink: I'm 44 with a family and I'm always thinking about what could happen! :shock:

I would also recommend you read the following books:

1- Proficient Motorcycling : The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well by David L. Hough

2- More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride by David L. Hough

3- The Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Guide to Motorcycling Excellence: Skills, Knowledge, and Strategies for Riding Right

You can get these at amazon.com or other bookstores.

The ZX-6R and the ZX-6RR are awesome bikes and I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one, even if it is your first bike! But of course, just like any other bike, you have to be very VERY careful!

Anyway just my 2 cents! :)

Stay safe!
Ed

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
I Haven't bought a ZX-6RR yet, but I am planning too. I think it looks like a pissed off alien :). My one word of advice is stay off the freeway for a while. Its very intimidating! And and when you break it in, don't do it on the freeway! The engine needs to be revved up and down, do this and you'll get maxium power in the end :). Anywho, I like your taste, ride safe!

·
Registered
102 Posts
NewNinja said:
But I'm also terrified of it.
If you're terrified of it, don't get on it. It's that simple. Just like with everything else in life, confidence is huge. If you get on it and you are afraid, you're not going to be able to handle it. If money isn't an issue with the ZX-6R (what, $8k?) then you should be able to easily spend $1500 - $2500 on a used EX500. The best part is, at that point, the 500 won't lose much value, so you'll be able to sell it, get your money back and still be able to easily afford the ZX-6R.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my ex500.. put around 5000 miles on it.. kept it for two years.. and sold it for 200 bucks less than what I bought it for..

I really liked that bike too.. :D

edit: a typical example of why it's good to get a bike like an ex500.. it's light.. one time on my second year of owning the bike.. I had a passenger and was pulling up to my garage.. for some reason I hit the brake hard instead of pulling in the clutch which was what I wanted to do.. needless to say we braked so hard that I didn't get my feet down in time and just caught it as it was starting to fall over, so not only did I have the weight of the bike to hold up but I had the weight of my passenger too.. who was wondering what the hell was going on.. since the bike didn't weigh much, I was able to pull the bike up before it went down.. and no damage occurred.. I never did that again.. :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I passed my test couple of years ago, and bought a GPZ500, mainly because I passed my test on a ER-5, and preferred the look of the GPZ. It was also more affordable than some of the bigger bikes I saw, in terms of price and insurance.

I bought another GPZ500 a year later as it was going to fail the MOT. I would love to buy a Ninja, but I don't have anywhere dry to keep it, so until I get a house with a garage, the 500 stays!

It may only be a 500, but I have still managed to scare myself a couple of times!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NEW TO Motorcycles

IF you want to LEARN about how to ride you should start small and work your way up. This is not a car with four wheels under it, with an automatic transmission. Shifting, breaking clutch and brake drills/techniques cannot be properly learned on a 355lb motorcycle with that much power. IF you are serious about learnign to ride get a 250R first and learn on it. You can probably sell it for what you paid for it when you are done learning. A ZZR-600 (430lbs) is much heavier than a ZX-6R/RR(355lbs), and it has carbs not fuel injection...not knocking carbs though Pro's still use them...IF you dump the 250 and completely destroy it you have only lost a small amount tof money and unless you hurt yourself or someone else you can just scrap it and start all over, the insurance company never needs to know. You take an $8,000+bike out and dump it you have just seriously hurt your wallet and insurance for at least the next three years. GET SERIOUS and THINK about it before you do it. I think that the insurance companies should break bike insurance down not only by motorccle type but by age and that the faults of others should not affect my rates...un fortuantly that is not the way insurance companies work...go for a ride with someone on a 600+cc sport bike and have them show you the power of the bike, its full potential with even the two of you on the bike...I say it is Ignorance and not Stupidity 98% of the time in this decision to buy a bike this powerful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first bike was a Ninja 250, wanted the 600 but couldn't afford it. I'm now glad that I started out with the smaller, less powerful bike. But, every person is different and as long as you take the MSF course prior to getting in over your head the 600 should be a fair bet for your first bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought the ZX-6R 2004. I luv it. this is my fisrt bike also and my first Exprience on the BIKE.

I'm Taking a safety coarse in a couple of weeks.

But I'm Riding as we speaks and the bike Handles Well. If you TREAT with respect then you'll be alright.

NEVER MIND the hot dogger's these the ones that have the mis-haps.

Ride @ you're own pace and if you can Ride with Exprience Rider's
this way you cant get into any trouble's

stay away from Fool's they only teach you BAD habit's

Take Easy around the corner's until you get to know you're BIKE.

Take Care, and save Driving

Bonz

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Yeah, I second all motions :D. Anyway, Bikes don't have traction control, so you really gotta watch your self. Depending on how you feel, and the cercumstance, you could still go with the 600. What I mean is, poeple can make senarios all they want, And most of the time those will happen. Its a Risk you must be willing to take. In two exact same senarios where the bike is about to be droped, the ninja 250 will be easier than the 600. Its a simple number, The 250 weight like 305, where the ZX-6RR weights like 355. So yes, the ZX-6RR will be harder to pick up. But that doesn't mean the ZX-6RR will be impossible. Plus i know poeple who haven't once dropped their bikes (I know, unbeleivable :shock:). In any case, I'm starting on the 600, but I'm gonna take it slow. I think its ok to be afraid of the bike for a short period, just so long as you stop being afriad, and respect it instead. At no point in time will you be so skilled that you can't die on it. Something could always happen to anyone here. So just make sure you respect the bike, not exacly fear it. Anyway, I'd go with the 6RR, it has a slipper clutch, ans has closer gears. www.Muzzys.com makes lowering links for it, but you could make your own with a jig saw and a drill, but why do that? They cost like 60$.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NEW TO RIDING

I strongly suggest that you take the MSF course BEFORE you even purchase a bike...SERIOUSLY! YOu don't want to be stuck with a bike or even spend $8,000.00 on one to find out that it is way to much bike for you to start out on one. Ninja 250R's are about the most inexpensive Sport bike you will find. I say purchase one an dif you feel uncomfortable running in the 8,000-13,500RPM range you are not ready to step up t anything else. Once you are comfortable doing this then you can sell your $1,500.00 used bike back and most likely not lose anything on it. With the prices of gas increasing you may even make money if you can find one inexpensive right now. Spending great amounts of money will not compensate for EDUCATION that you need in learning...DO take the MSF course and if you like it take the advanced course, BEFORE you buy anything larger! I'm being honest and sincere. A ZZR-600 weighs in at 430lbs, and a Ninja 250R weighs in at 304lbs, and to be fair a Ninja 500R weighs in at 388lbs.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I haven't taken the advanced course, but I've heard others talk about it. The difference between a new 250R and a new ZX-6R is $5,000. I'd bet that quality training will make as much difference as the faster bike, and it's something you can keep after you wreck your first bike. I know some people who have a lot more training and experience than I do, and it's amazing what my 250 can do when one of them is driving.

I also think the ZX-6R is a lot of bike for a beginner. It's pretty easy for it to get away on you if you're not very careful.

But you are attracted to its looks, and I can't really argue against that. It is gorgeous.
Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
ZZR-250

In Canada you have theoption for the ZZR-250 that we don't have here in the States...IF I had the cash in hand (I already have all the paperwork sitting here on my desk, including the DECLARATION), I would buy one, right after I got off of the plane, perhaps, before I even left the States, so that I could get on her and ride her all over the plac before I rod her all the way home, to Kansas. She has a beautiful fairing, Aluminum frame, better turnsignals...it's an awesome bike!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you. I'm going to take the MSF course in a few weeks. I love the ZX-6R, but honestly, we may be better off with an EX250.

Like ZX-2R said, you can sell it when your'e done with it and make your money back, if not more. Even if you lose a little bit you still got to use and learn how to ride. I'm almost sold on the EX250. Worst case scenario, I learn how to ride well before selling it for a larger bike.

Another thing to consider is height and weight. I'm 5'7 130lbs and when I sat on my friend's GSXR750 it felt very heavy and bulky. My feet weren't flat on the ground.

Good luck with any decision you make!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi R1DE!

I'm 5-6", 140 LBS and my feet are flat on the ground on my 2003 ZX-6RR. Maybe I just have long legs? :shock: That's one of the reasons I bought this bike. Not being able to put my feet flat on the ground would definitely make me think twice about buying a bike! :wink:

Stay safe!
Ed

1 - 20 of 33 Posts