Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got a 1983 KZ550 and I'm finding that I get really bad gas mileage - like 10mpg. It looks and sounds good - no smoke from the exhaust. I also made sure it is not leaking any gas - any suggestions on what it could be? It seems like it's running a little rich because I sometimes hear gas combusting in the pipes, but I don't know how to adjust this - any help? Would that account for such bad gas mileage?

Thanks! --Lex

·
Registered
91 Posts
well, for a gas mileage problem you should post in the " mechanics corner "

Now, I love to do all my own work where I can but this sounds like a real problem so I must suggest you take the bike to a shop of your choosing.
I bet your chrome pipes are all blued up now though...... It's a sign of having run rich. Yeah it may cost some $$$$ but seriously if you are dumping that much gas it can be thought of as a safety hazard also.

I saw your post and was gonna say stop riding so fast. I get around 30 to 35 mpg but I ride a little hard and I own an 1100 about the same age as yours. { wear & tear and just old technology }
Starting to eye around for a cruiser to do some long haul trips...... 130 miles a tank just wont do it.

Best of luck

·
Registered
380 Posts
woundwort said:
I get around 30 to 35 mpg but I ride a little hard and I own an 1100 about the same age as yours. { wear & tear and just old technology }
Starting to eye around for a cruiser to do some long haul trips...... 130 miles a tank just wont do it.

Best of luck
wow, that's about the same mileage my friend gets with his car... is that normal for a bike that year?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have no clue. The previous owner says that is about par for this bike.

The carbs are going to get cleaned out and inspected, possibly overhauled.
then synced. bike is down for now and most parts have arrived.

Milage varies upon the rider and wind. and if any mods have been made to the carbs, airbox and or exhaust. Gearing changes also have an effect. AS far as I see now, everything is stock. Although somewhat outa tune as I have a choke problem and it runs rich

I live in an area where I have lots of OPEN road and can open it up a lot... Every stop sign in the country is a place to give it heck for me :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
FUEL

IF the plugs are all black and wet then you have a serious fuel problem...are you burning oil too? Do a compression check, adn a leak-down check...I think rebuilding the carbs may help but it sounds more like valve adjustment to me...you're just running gas through it and burning it as it passes by the valves to the headerpipes...not a good thing either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts