Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not when I'm driving but when someone else is. Anyone else like this? I've been riding for just over a year and riding is the only thing I can think of that is making me feel this way. I'm so used to reacting quicker because I'm always looking for something to happen. Always scanning ahead for what might be coming out of that side street. Slowing down right away when I see brake lights. I've noticed when riding with people that they don't always do these things. The braking early thing is what really gets me. Anyone else feel this way or am I just a little strange and paranoid?

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts
You have become aware of your surroundings, everyone should be made to ride a bike before they are allowed to have a drivers license.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have become aware of your surroundings, everyone should be made to ride a bike before they are allowed to have a drivers license.
It's weird, I really didn't notice a lot of things before I started riding. My wife hates it when she's driving because I'm always yelling, "WATCH OUT!", about 10 miles up the rode. :lol:

·
Registered
45 Posts
:-o I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one !! I my self have ben riding just about a year now too.:-o: The msf course realy woke me up to my surroundings.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I am almost the same way, I am more in tune with whats going on around me when I am driving my cage I believe I am more alert behind the wheel,after taking the MSC and riding.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Was riding bikes well before I was driving cars, but certain drivers make me nervous.
My wife for one. My daughter was a great driver til she moved to N.J.
She started driving to New York City and I swear it's like some maniac behind the wheel.
She's back in the South now and hopefully she will learn how to drive again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm more paranoid about everything! Why? Why do you ask?

·
Elmer
281 Posts
Riding motorcycles turns us all into survivalists. When we aren't looking for drivers turning in front of us, busting a traffic light, or charging out from a driveway without looking we are scanning for road hazards and wildlife (lots of road gremblins out there). When we become a passenger and give up control to another driver we have no way of knowing what they see and anticipate. They may be fully prepared to take action should certain situations develop but we are not in a good positon to evaluate their readiness. Ever find yourself pressing that imaginary brake pedal on the passenger side? The bravest of us all are thouse that trustingly ride pillion. :troll:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
lol you ought ta ride with my wife...shes one of those that waits till the last second before she hits the breaks.....her dad drives the same way...scares the sh1t outta of me..............lol

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
I've always been scared when someone else drives. I am more defensive with my driving. I slow down for red lights so I don't have to brake hard. I leave room between me and the car in front. When my mom was teaching me to drive she told me "You are only as good a driver as how comfortable your passenger feels". I try to drive like that.

·
Livin' fast, dying slow
1,084 Posts
Ryan, you've survived how many tours of duty in Afghanistan or Iraq now, like 2 or 3? You'll be fine, trust me. You deserve nothing but good things.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A friend of mine grew up in Taiwan, her mom will not drive in the states. Not enough is happening on the road. She gets bored and tends to fall asleep. Just 2 years of battling Chinese drivers, has made Canada a very boring place to drive, but also hard. Sure it's nice if everyone drives on the right side of the road, but it is often easier on the left. Honking removes the need to follow the rules of the road. Need to get through a red light? just honk while you are going through it.

Pillion? I can't do that. I tend to steer for the driver :)

·
Super Moderator
10,776 Posts
I used to get really tense while a passenger in someone else'e vehicle. But I trained myself to get over it. I just look out the side windows and enjoy the scenery instead of looking out the front. Seems simplistic but it works for me! BTW my wife is one of those on the gas/off the gas people. Speed up, slow down, repeat. Drives me crazy b/c she refuses to use the cruise control, even on the interstate. Claims she feels like she has no control.

·
Follow Jesus!!
733 Posts
Hey Ryan,
How old are you? I am 42 and have been this way a couple of years. The bike may be part of it, but I think for me some of it is age!! LOL

Now, when my wife drives, I am tired enough to go to sleep. That way I do not bother her. LOL

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Ryan,
How old are you? I am 42 and have been this way a couple of years. The bike may be part of it, but I think for me some of it is age!! LOL

Now, when my wife drives, I am tired enough to go to sleep. That way I do not bother her. LOL
LOL! I'm only 32. Although every tells me I look and act older.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts