Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having a hard time taking turns like i used to. here's what happened:

yesterday i was coming home from school, and as usual i like to take my turns fast. so on the last corner of my street, i'm leaning and then all of a sudden the front starts to shake and i 've lost a lot of grip. i keep calm and manage to get control again and made it safe to my house. but now, whenever i take a turn, i take it very SLOOOOOOOWWW and WIDE, with the least amount of lean as possible. i'm spooked now, whenever i start to lean i also "feel" - maybe its my brain playing tricks on me or it isn't - the shake.

so i went back to that same spot and notice a big stain of grease(or something like it) on the ground, and a long tire mark next to it.

any advice as to what i can do to overcome this. thanks for reading. :D

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
i'd say that since you saw a grease spot on the ground...get back on that horse...it will take time but be confident in your abilities

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

no biggie :wink: get on some good pavement you know and
roadtest the bike and it'll go away 8)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Everyone has a scare like that at some point that makes you a little gun shy of turns. Recognize what caused it, learn from it, and you'll get past it with some time and miles.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Scares happen, sometimes its a good way for you to take a step back and rethink how fast you wanna go through the curves. Get back on the bike and ride and get your confidence back up.

·
Registered
837 Posts
you kept control when you did'nt expect it...now you know what caused it...just keep an eye out on those slick spots on the pavment and ride on ..... :wink:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did something kinda like that today.

I was riding my dirt-bike and I was in 3rd gear. I had to stop fast to make it around the turn. I slammed on the brakes and the back started to slide out from under me. I regained control and made the turn safely. I almost ate it hard tho.

Yeah it shaked me up pretty good tho. But I knew if I stopped I would be too spooked to keep going the next time. So i kept going and its all good.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
spooked

spooked but not down on hte ground with gear and fairing and parts that show that you have been down... I've been there as many of us have...even down several times...sand oil, gas, antifreeze, even black ice...all nasty stuff. If you have a tendancy to take corners to fast then slow down...even your own street could change in 3 minutes if you have just one car that is leaking fluids...ALWAYS know your roads. Sounds like you were going to fast for the condition, the slik stuff, but you managed to save it...lesson learned...keep the head looking where you want to go, check out the surfaces, and ride...always expect something around the corner or even on a straight...you let your guard down, you are going down...stay in there and just keep riding...before long you will catch yorself going to fast again...and you now know how it feels to be on the edge.......just ride, and be safe!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the comments guys. :D

at least spooked is better than being on the ground as zx-2r said. thanks :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SLIDE!

STEM, You will find the professionals on the racetrack gettig a little wild and actually sliding their rear tire sometimes coming out of corners. In a short race whre you don't have to change tires the one thing that they have to look out for is getting the tire to hot and then it loses it's ability to stick...most of them ride dirt for the practice, this is according to several magazines that I have read. I know for a fact that I have rolled on the throtle on the track and let the ground just keep comming closer to me until all of a sudden things were in slow motion and I was on the ground sliding. I didn't fall off, the bike just kept getting lower. Anyway, I have in the past brought it up enough first and then cranked on enough power that I had to countersteer...one could highside easily...but I've been fortunate in the past. About two weeks ago it was really hot on the roads and I made a really hot corner on knobbies and literally did a controlled power slide around the corner...it scared me enough to go back and get off of the bike, and walk the corner to see if I had missed fluid, or something. it was dry pavement and it had really cool stamp sized (knobs) marking the entire corner, kinda stretched like play-dough. I'm a lot more careful now, after finding out what the bike limits are on knobbies and hot pavement. I may put street tires on it this winter if I don't get the funds together for my Kawasaki...
YOU didn't mention what bike you were on, only that you were in third gear...and did you use the front brake before you started into the curve........?????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts