Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name's Michael and I'm a 19 year old college student looking for a new bike.
My current bike is a 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX600-F that is now unusable. I had bought it used from a good friend of mine, and twenty minutes after I had it delivered and parked, what I assume to be a drunk driver in a truck hit it head on. He sped away, leaving my bike battered and broken. I have several years of experience on dirt bikes and other similar machines; snowmobiles, 4tracks, and jet skis. But now I'm thinking about a new bike, and the Kawasaki ZX7 has caught my eye. Could I get some feedback on this bike? I had never gotten to ride my Katana, so I'm not as familiar with the power of anything above 250cc's or so.
I have a bit of a tendency to jump into things before I think them through and any help would be appreciated.

M.C.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Welcome mate! Glad to have ya join us!!

Bummer on your scoot man! That's a bite for sure! There'll be plenty of sport peeps (cruiser guy myself) along to tell ya about the ZX. In the meantime, go to "Search" in the tool bar at the top of the page & do a search on ZX7 & it'll pull up a bunch of former threads for ya. Great tool!

Ride safe & Welcome again!:biggrin: 8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the kind words and advice. I'll just sit here patiently and make some use of the "search" thingy.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bjorhyn. You're gonna get some great advice here, and meet some of the nicest people ever. (some not so nice lol) In general I'd have to say more nice than not so nice. So kick your shoes off and enjoy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe it's either a '91 or '92.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Welcome Bjorhyn! I'm into the older cruisers and standards so I'm no help at all with your question. There plenty here that can though.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I had a 94 ZX-7 and it was a fantastic bike. I actually toured a lot on it, and found it quite comfortable. it was pretty powerful for the day, and a heckuva lot more "user friendly" than the GSXR that I had prior. Reliability was never an issue with it either.

·
Registered
199 Posts
ok well i got a sportbike..... so guess ill be the 1st to comment on this

i started out on a ninja 650 R and jumped onto a zx10 like 6 months later... and i never rode prior to that.... i actually find the zx10 more comfortable and i feel safer on it.... its more stable .... i dont stall it... as i did the 650.... but no i dont recommend a zx10 as ur first bike.... i dont see nothing wrong with u being on a zx6 as a first bike since youve ridden dirtbikes before..... if i went from nothing to a new 650 and was fine.... you should be fine on a zx6... imo.

i was going to go from the 650 to the zx6 but then i thought well in another 6 months ima want a zx10 and then ill either 1 trade it in or 2 sell it..... and loose money once again.... so that was my major deciding factor.... oh and i got a 06 left over cheaper then a 07 zx6 lollll. good luck

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
"I'm sure you all get questions of this sort a lot."

Yes we do, so take your rubbish elsewhere.

:lol: Just kidding of course, welcome to the forum, you'll love it here :smile:

That really sux about your bike... if something like that ever happened to me I think I'd freak!!! You never even got to ride it!!!

Anyways... personally I think if you have prior experience with the machines you speak of, you should already have a pretty good idea of the potential of these machines and therefore are probably more suited to "starting" on a ZX-7 as opposed to someone with no prior riding experience.

On the other hand, you are 19... I was 19 once myself and think that I would have gotten into some serious trouble if I had had that kind of bike between my legs!!!

You must honestly and objectively judge your maturity level. If you are certain that you can get on that kind of bike and take it easy without getting in over your head, I say go for it.

On the other hand, if, when riding those other machines, you were prone to taking them to their limits before you were perhaps ready to do so, and have had a lot of crashes... maybe I would shy away from a ZX-7 as your first bike and go for something more tame like a 250cc or a 500cc bike. Remember - the tarmac is not as forgiving as dirt or snow :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bjorhyn. You're gonna get some great advice here, and meet some of the nicest people ever. (some not so nice lol) In general I'd have to say more nice than not so nice. So kick your shoes off and enjoy.
What? Everyone's nice here, so just SHUT UP.

:lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is quite a bit of info. Thanks.

I really am quite hesitant to just hop on ZX7 on be on my merry way. Although I have had a bunch of experience, it's not been with something of this caliber. I am, however, ridiculously aware of the raw power something like this would generate. I like to think I'm pretty level headed, but as previously mentioned, I am 19, and as a statistic, pretty reckless. With a throttle as sensitive enough to rocket me into the triple digits out my driveway, I don't think I could spare to make a mistake. As I was growing up on those "other machines", I was a bit reckless, but never did I take on anything beyond what I though I could do. Sure I crashed, but it happens to everyone. I learned to respect the power curve pretty quickly.

I have found with my buddy's EX250, I don't fit on it. I'm 6'1 and 215 lbs with a big build.
I think a 500 would be a better alternative, but I'd worry that I'll be bored with it after a while. Hence me thinking about something bigger.

Though I still worry. I'm just not sure. I can handle a 250, but I don't know if I have enough ride time.

And I have to second asphalt being less forgiving. I've had more than my share on dirt alone, not even thinking about snow.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
"I'm sure you all get questions of this sort a lot."

Yes we do, so take your rubbish elsewhere.

:lol: Just kidding of course, welcome to the forum, you'll love it here :smile:

That really sux about your bike... if something like that ever happened to me I think I'd freak!!! You never even got to ride it!!!

Anyways... personally I think if you have prior experience with the machines you speak of, you should already have a pretty good idea of the potential of these machines and therefore are probably more suited to "starting" on a ZX-7 as opposed to someone with no prior riding experience.

On the other hand, you are 19... I was 19 once myself and think that I would have gotten into some serious trouble if I had had that kind of bike between my legs!!!

You must honestly and objectively judge your maturity level. If you are certain that you can get on that kind of bike and take it easy without getting in over your head, I say go for it.

On the other hand, if, when riding those other machines, you were prone to taking them to their limits before you were perhaps ready to do so, and have had a lot of crashes... maybe I would shy away from a ZX-7 as your first bike and go for something more tame like a 250cc or a 500cc bike. Remember - the tarmac is not as forgiving as dirt or snow :biggrin:
^+100

·
www.learntoride.org
1,364 Posts
You're here asking, so that shows some maturity. You're not talking about jumping on a liter sporty, so you're showing restraint and respect for the machine. Have you posted your questions in the sport bike section?
Someone's going to suggest taking the msf course, so I'll do so myself. Whatever bike you end up getting, take the experienced rider course on it, or see if you can take the beginnger rider course on your new (old) bike. That will give you some structured opportunity with rider coaches nearby to get accustomed to the bike.
Pick people to ride with who won't push you beyond the limits you personally set for yourself. Set personal minimums, and stay within them. You're aware of the statistical recklessness of people in your age range, so if you ride with a group, go with a group that's older. Check out the Southern Cruisers Riding Club, and see if there's a chapter in your area. It doesn't matter what kind of bike you ride to ride with them. Safety is emphasized. Also check out the Gold Wing Road Riders, another group that it doesn't really matter what kind of bike you ride. Their emphasis is also safety, fun, knowledge. Those are two groups I'm with because I wanted people who wouldn't try to put me in dangerous situations. I'll also mention riding with the Patriot Guard, because it's a good thing to do. Patriot Guard Riders -->Home
On the dirt, you're not so noticable to the public eye. On the street, you're an ambassador. For all of our sakes and for the sake of our motorcycling freedoms, ride with people who take that responsibility seriously.
As a last note, get some service manuals for whatever bike you buy and do your own maintenance.
Oh, yeh, one more thing, park it somewhere else, behind something really sturdy. Did you file a police report? Was the pile of broken metal and plastic covered by insurance? I'd cry. I'm trying not to feel irritated as it is, because it would be nonproductive. Glad it was only the bike and not you flattened.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've looked in to the MSF course, and I've always planned on taking it before getting on anything bigger than a 250. I figured all the help I can get will lower the chances of me making a mistake I could have otherwise avoided. Taking my own bike will just further my adjusting to it.
I hadn't thought about riding clubs, that's a real great idea. It would be a easy way to merge from the dirt to the road.
I've always been picky with my toys, I could never let someone else tinker with it for me. Does anyone know where I could find a manual?

I filed a report, but the police said it wouldn't be that likely that anything would come of it. Yea, I had insurance, but the damage exceeds the worth of the bike, so they wrote it off as a bad investment.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I've looked in to the MSF course, and I've always planned on taking it before getting on anything bigger than a 250. I figured all the help I can get will lower the chances of me making a mistake I could have otherwise avoided. Taking my own bike will just further my adjusting to it.
I hadn't thought about riding clubs, that's a real great idea. It would be a easy way to merge from the dirt to the road.
I've always been picky with my toys, I could never let someone else tinker with it for me. Does anyone know where I could find a manual?

I filed a report, but the police said it wouldn't be that likely that anything would come of it. Yea, I had insurance, but the damage exceeds the worth of the bike, so they wrote it off as a bad investment.
Usually for the beginner course, they actually don't let you use your own bike for safety and insurance reasons. However, by using theirs, you get a really tame bike to learn on which is nice even when transitioning from dirt to street. In your case, you get to unlearn everything you did on the dirt and learn completely different techniques for the street. ;)

As far as the clubs, be cautious. There are a lot of so-called clubs that have no clue how to do a proper group ride. Do a little research and try different groups out to see how you fit in - and stay away from the squids. ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I think a 500 would be a better alternative, but I'd worry that I'll be bored with it after a while. Hence me thinking about something bigger.
Yes, you probably will get tired of it after a while... but that's better than jumping the gun and getting seriously injured or worse.

From your words, it seems you have the maturity to get on something like a ZX-7 and respect it. But in the end it's up to you. If you are questioning yourself without the influence of others, maybe that's your conscience telling you you should wait a while.

Buy a beater 500, ride it around for a year... you'll probably be able to sell it more or less for what you bought it. Then make the jump to the bike of your dreams :smile:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts