Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to change the spark plugs on my 1995 zx-7 and the chamber going down to the spark plugs is to small for a socket to fit down. anyone kno what im suppost to use to remove this.

·
Registered
823 Posts
im trying to change the spark plugs on my 1995 zx-7 and the chamber going down to the spark plugs is to small for a socket to fit down. anyone kno what im suppost to use to remove this.
If you've got the original tool kit, you should have a thin walled, spark plug wrench in it. If not then you'll have to go searching the tool stores, for the right size. I'll let the sport bike riders take over with sizing requirements.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Thin walled socket is the only thing that will fit. If you know anyone with an OEM toolkit, they will have it.

·
Make Mine Pure BHP
1,174 Posts
I believe the size is a 16mm...but I haven't changed my plugs in a while, my bike is no where close right now, and I am middle-age...

As mentioned, you will need a thin wall, extra deep socket. I would think most sockets a Kawi/Zukki kit would fit, as well as others. Borrow one if you can, or buy one and barter with your friends when they need one.

Don't buy one (or a kit) from a dealer, unless your $$ tree is in full bloom. Not sure places like Sears or Harbor Frieght will have them either. Check local cycle salavage shops, or you can buy sockets from aftermarket sources such as Motion Pro. Something similar to this or this is what you will be looking for.

:cool:

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Sears carries a deep set, thin wall that should work.

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
I ended up calling the dealer, asking what size in mm it takes, bought a deep socket and ground it down on my grinder until it fit in the holes. bought a fairly good sockett. it all works fine now.

·
Vulcan 1600 Classic
490 Posts
I had to buy a 18MM spark plug socket for my 1600 Classic....went to Discount Auto and got it for $3.48. Checked the gap at .035, put my NGK plugs in and torqued them to specs-13 ft lbs.

Fired her up and now I'm ready to ride.... I'd rather replace the plugs ($2.98) each then clean and gap the old plugs. It's cheap enough!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts