Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone... I'm new to this forum, so please excuse my newness.:) My questions relate to improving the power on my 2008 nomad 1600FI. I'm trying to decide what;s the best, and most cost effective way to do this. I'm looking for suggestions on which airbox, fuel manager, and pipes to use. I'd like feedback on what others have used, and their comments. I havent decided on using a power commander III, cobra f12000r, wildthings, or other fuel management systems. pros n cons on air beathers, (hyper chargers, thunder, etc).... suggestions anyone?

Much appreciated
Jake

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
The most cost effective way to add performance may be to trade it in for a Vulcan 2000.

Seriously, it seems like the more you spend to modify a bike the less it's worth :)

Forgot the link to the host of this forum, Beartooth Kawasaki.

2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 | Beartooth Kawasaki

Personally, my bike is worth less than 1/3 of what I have in it, but I enjoy it :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steel.... thanks for the suggestion.... But I also have a VTX 1800R with enough grunt....to pull stumps.... So another bike is not in the plans. I'd just like to add a few more ponies on my the Nomad...

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Ok, but you do realize it will probably cost over $100 per hp, right?

Most of the over the counter bolt on stuff don't do anything but look cool, Kawasaki spent a lot of time and money tuning it already and it's tough to do better. Don't get me wrong, you won't find a stock bike in my garage, but they're all older stuff that wasn't as finely tuned as the new bikes like yours. It's really tough to gain much, if any, more power, unless you go the power adder route. Nitrous, turbo, or supercharger.

Compare your bike to another one with the over the counter hp parts and see if there is a noticeable improvement.

What is that big Triumph? 2300cc or so? That's a torque monster :D

Not very helpful, but at least I keep your thread at the top and maybe someone else will post some helpful advice.

That 2000cc Vulcan costs as much as a Harley!!:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, but you do realize it will probably cost over $100 per hp, right?

Most of the over the counter bolt on stuff don't do anything but look cool, Kawasaki spent a lot of time and money tuning it already and it's tough to do better. Don't get me wrong, you won't find a stock bike in my garage, but they're all older stuff that wasn't as finely tuned as the new bikes like yours. It's really tough to gain much, if any, more power, unless you go the power adder route. Nitrous, turbo, or supercharger.

Compare your bike to another one with the over the counter hp parts and see if there is a noticeable improvement.

What is that big Triumph? 2300cc or so? That's a torque monster :D

Not very helpful, but at least I keep your thread at the top and maybe someone else will post some helpful advice.

That 2000cc Vulcan costs as much as a Harley!!:eek:
Thanks Steell.... I actually looked at the Vulcan 2000 but noticed I would have trouble with my lower back after riding it for a while.... I did a search online and found out that some other people noticed the same thing??? Not sure if it was the weight, but happend a few times... so I decided against buying one. I already have a Kuryakyn Pro Hypercharger ready... but cant decide on which fuel management system and pipes combination will be best. I've also read that the Nomad is tuned a little lean from the factory setting, so I think a upgrade to the fuel management system might pull in a few ponies... I'm not looking for a huge gain.... just a little more low end torque, and a little smoother ride thru the power band. So I'm open to all suggestions and comments. Id like to do a thorough research before I even decide to chg it from stock. Again.... Thanks for the input.... best to hear it from someone whos gone that road first. :)

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
I know pretty much nothing about late model bikes. My nephew and I share a shop and the newest thing out there is his 96 GSXR1100, followed by the 85 GPz750 Turbo, 80 KZ750E, two 80 KZ750 twins, a 79 KZ650SR, and my daily rider, a 79 KZ750 twin.

I can't handle the "sit up and beg" rider position of the V twin Kawasaki's (or the LTD/CSR models), kills my lower back. My 79 twin has Superbike bars and foot pegs raised an inch and set two inches to the rear, gives me a little forward lean and lets me ride for hours with no pain.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
My 2 centavos:

You have bought a great all around bike that is fairly capable in stock form. It is no speed demon but that is not what it was built for. It is designed to chew up large chunks of interstate day after day in comfort and have the storage space to take the necessities with you.

You can add your choice of aftermarket intake, fuel processor, and exhaust… then have it professionally dyno-tuned. If you make wise choices you may get 5-10 more HP out of her, but if you get the wrong combo you could actually end up loosing HP.

Let’s do some math:

Intake-------------$500
Fuel processor-----$300
Exhaust-----------$800
Dyno-tune--------$500

Total-------------$2,100

$2,100 divided by 10 HP equals $210 for each HP gained. The numbers above are just SWAGs, but you get the idea. Don’t add aftermarket stuff to get more HP, add it because it looks cool, sounds cool, and makes your bike uniquely yours.

Enjoy you new ride!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeh... I was affraid of that and thats why I came to this forum before investing a chunk a change.... may just have to keep my VTX1800 for some serious performance.. and the Nomad when a real road trip is in the works.... I do like the ride of the nomad for cruising.... but curving the VTX into corners is like riding a rocket on rails.... thanks for the input

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeh... I was affraid of that and thats why I came to this forum before investing a chunk a change.... may just have to keep my VTX1800 for some serious performance.. and the Nomad when a real road trip is in the works.... I do like the ride of the nomad for cruising.... but curving the VTX into corners is like riding a rocket on rails.... thanks for the input
Check out chucksterscustoms.com and also search caddman intake kit for nomads
I think you will find these very helpful , I have used products from both and :)my bike rocks.

Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jakestoy2002
I have a 2008 Nomad 1600 and all I've done so far is debaffled the exhaust and added a Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro Tuner. I can tell you it idles great, it's smooth thru-out throttle from idle to wide open, and does not back fire any longer. The Cobra cost me 453.49 with free shipping on Amazon. Powersport Parts,LLC. Seems to have a little more thump and also, removed the reed valves and installed block off plates. I purchased them thru CruiserCustoms.com for 31.94. I hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts