Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I could sure use a hand if some of you could spend 5 minutes checking something on your bikes for me. I've lost the key to my 1996 GPz1100 and am having a hell of a time getting a new one cut. I've found 2 different codes stamped on my ignition column but the dealer closest to me says neither one looks just right.

If you have a 95 or 96 GPZ (or Ninja, or anything else around those years) could you take a look at the number stamped on your key and see if it matches one of the numbers stamped on your ignition column? I don't need to know your key number or anything goofy, I just need to know which code matches if any. I may be getting bad information from my dealer, and it's probably not his fault, but I want to make sure before I spend a lot of money on a locksmith or replacing the 3 locks. I really appreciate it!

I've included some pics of the codes I found in hopes that one of them really is the correct one.

The first picture is looking at the ignition switch column from the right-hand side of the bike, and the number is stamped on the barrel toward the front of the motorcycle.

http://66.136.167.33/images/PICT0986.JPG

The second picture is looking up at the ignition switch barrel, again from the right side, with my head near the front tire, looking through the opening where the forks pass through the front cowling.

http://66.136.167.33/images/PICT0984.JPG

Man, my bike sure looks dirty in those pictures! I'm going to have to get out the Q-Tips and the Armor All.

Thanks in advance for your support,
Aaron

·
Registered
95 Posts
Neither of the pics show a key code. Kawasaki key codes are usually in the form z5220, the z being constant and the 4 digits running 5000-6000. The best way to get keys made is to remove the ignition lock and take it to a locksmith's shop. A lot of the time it's easier to remove the upper triple clamp and not try to remove the 2 shear-head bolts that attach the lock to the upper triple clamp. The shear-head bolts are shown in pic 2 and are sort of gold colored. None of the other locks on the bike contain ALL of the cuts used in the ignition cylinder so it must be used in originating the key. Once the cylinder is removeds the code is often stamped in the metal body of the cylinder which is under plastic covers while it's mounted on the bike.

BTW, I've been a locksmith for over 10 years so please consider this reliable info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts