Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Fan of not being on fire
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, it's another thread about wearing full face helmets.

I work in the private security sector, and last night I was covering our "property checks". I usually ride my bike doing this since it's a 120 mile route and we use our personal vehicles to drive the route. My bike is down at the moment, so I borrowed my brother's Harley. Well, it's Fiesta week in here San Antonio which has made things interesting on the road. I took the bike out tonight (Sunday night) thinking with tomorrow being a work day it wouldn't be as bad. I was partially right. After I was done with my checks, I stowed my duty gear in the saddle bag put on my leather jacket and a reflective belt for visibility, and hit the road. Normally while riding in town I leave my helmet open (HJC modular). Tonight I closed it in case I got swiped by a drunk. I was thinking about how good a beer sounded when a guy driving the opposite way must have read my mind. He threw a Bud Light at me. With my cat-like reflexes I caught the bottle with my face. After pulling into a gas station, I checked the bike and the helmet for damage. The impact was entirely on the face shield, which didn't even have a scratch on it. Luckily the bike was fine, because I don't have the money to fix a Harley. Either way, hooray for full face helmets, and now I will be willing to Highly recommend the HJC modular helmet. Just keep the face down when riding. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Holy crap! That would've taken a lot of people out. I'd be hard pressed to not follow them and have a few choice words...

·
Cookie Monstress
454 Posts
...at least in San Antonio !!

reminds me of one Halloween when I was about 10. I was walking along a country road and some idiot threw an egg at me from a car doing 40 or so .... hit me right on the breast bone (no padding!!) and I truly thought I was gonna die.....

·
Rolling with the big dogs
1,019 Posts
I was thinking of buying a HJC modular helmet. Good to know!

·
Fan of not being on fire
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy crap! That would've taken a lot of people out. I'd be hard pressed to not follow them and have a few choice words...
It hurt a bit, can only imagine not having my helmet on. I would have followed but I was a bit distracted keeping the rubber down.

·
Fan of not being on fire
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...at least in San Antonio !!

reminds me of one Halloween when I was about 10. I was walking along a country road and some idiot threw an egg at me from a car doing 40 or so .... hit me right on the breast bone (no padding!!) and I truly thought I was gonna die.....
OUCH!

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I've gotten hit in the face shield by a few things over the years, the worst being a chunk of pavement.

I will say, though, even if the shield looks fine, I'd replace it. If it was a big enough impact to ring your bell a bit or even just put you off balance, thank the shield kindly for its service and retire it with honors.

I'll also say, even if it was a Bud Light, that's still a waste of a good beer. I hear that's a hanging offense in Milwaukee.

·
Fan of not being on fire
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've gotten hit in the face shield by a few things over the years, the worst being a chunk of pavement.

I will say, though, even if the shield looks fine, I'd replace it. If it was a big enough impact to ring your bell a bit or even just put you off balance, thank the shield kindly for its service and retire it with honors.

I'll also say, even if it was a Bud Light, that's still a waste of a good beer. I hear that's a hanging offense in Milwaukee.
Well, the bottle was half empty I think, otherwise I don't see the bottle having broke. Looking for a shield replacement already.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Good thing for those "cat-like reflexes". Next time, be thinking about wanting a bag of marshmallows or something like that.

Seriously, glad you're okay. That would have taken a lot of people out.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Next time, be thinking about wanting a bag of marshmallows or something like that.
Heck, if I could conjure stuff up by thinking I'd like it, I'd start thinking how nice it would be to hit a big lottery jackpot - the the form of a cashable check, of course...not a giant bag of money or those giant novelty checks... ;)

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Heck, if I could conjure stuff up by thinking I'd like it, I'd start thinking how nice it would be to hit a big lottery jackpot - the the form of a cashable check, of course...not a giant bag of money or those giant novelty checks... ;)
Like my mama always said, "Be careful what you pray for. You just might get it!!"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts