Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group of us (about 10 bikes & wives) have planned a trip from Indiana to Pennsylvania from June 2-7. Plans are stopping in Somerset, Hershey, Intercourse(always have to stop at a unique named town, like Moonshine, Illinois, Rabbit Hash, Kentucky on our trips) and Gettysburg. Looking for suggestions on the best routes to take (no Interstates) and places to stay the night and good rest stops.

Also if we ride into West Virginia and Maryland helmets are required correct?
(Don't want to get into the pros and cons of helmets)

Any suggestions will be helpful

Thank You

Jim

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Its a bit northeast of Pittsburgh (possibly out of your way) but Foxburg, PA is a great stop and there are tons of scenic roads up there. It is located In clarion County right on the allegheny county river where the river makes up the county line between Clarion and the "horn" of Armstrong County.

The food is excellent. My first "long" ride with a group was there. It was really The Foxburg Inn sits right along the river and I watched a float plane take off out of the valley as we were approaching. We went up on a sunday for brunch and it was really cool seeing the generations and people all mixed up at this really classy place. Sunday church goes and litterally 50+ bikes all mixed to gether enjoying the food.

Here is the site. Visit Foxburg, PA

If you are coming in the southwestern part of PA, Southeast of pittsburgh, you want to hit the Ohiopyle area and the Youghiogheny river valley Then shoot slightly Northeast from there into the Seven springs resort area.

Lots of fun roads there.

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
PS as of right now I'm off the 3rd, 4th, and 5th. So depending on where that puts you guys me and the soon to be wife may be able to meet up with you along the way some where and show you around. We are getting married May 3rd and will be on honeymoon from the 4th through the 11th of May. So depending on the wife's schedule after that, that may be a factor as well.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Your proposed sights will take you right past our house so I'd recommend taking Rt. 31 through Somerset. We're in Greensburg and while Rt. 30 is nice as you get east of us, it's all malls and traffic around here. Rt. 31 is very nice, quite scenic and much of it was recently repaved. Near Somerset is Mt. Davis, the highest point in PA, and tons of great riding roads. MD is lid state but I don't know about WV. Since I always wear one, it's never a factor. Rt. 31 eventually hooks up with Rt. 30 near Bedford at the Jean Bonnet Tavern which is a great place to eat, especially if you like buffalo burgers. After Bedford you'll come into Breezewood which is where I-76/I-70 and Rt. 30 meet. It's a drag but not very big and in ten minutes you're back into excellent riding roads past McConnelsburg until you hit the next drag called Chambersburg. After Chambersburg you have good roads into the Caledonia State Forest and Mr. Ed's Elephant Museum. Stop here, it's too unique to miss. After this you got good riding all the way into Gettysburg via Rt. 30.

As previously mentioned, Foxburg is nice and the Inn has good food. There's real nice riding from there heading east and you'll be going through the heart of elk country so keep your eyes open.

Let me know when you're on the way and I'll guide you towards Gettysburg on the better riding roads.

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
A group of us (about 10 bikes & wives) have planned a trip from Indiana to Pennsylvania from June 2-7. Plans are stopping in Somerset, Hershey, Intercourse(always have to stop at a unique named town, like Moonshine, Illinois, Rabbit Hash, Kentucky on our trips) and Gettysburg. Looking for suggestions on the best routes to take (no Interstates) and places to stay the night and good rest stops.

Also if we ride into West Virginia and Maryland helmets are required correct?
(Don't want to get into the pros and cons of helmets)

Any suggestions will be helpful

Thank You

Jim
If you like weird town names, PA is full of em... 9 miles from Intercourse is a town called Blue Ball. It doesn't get much better than that :p

·
Life Begins at 200 mph
1,387 Posts
Forgot about Climax, Virginville, Coon Hunter, Coon Island, Balls Mills,

I swear some of these people were high or drunk when coming up with names. :lol:

·
The Widows Son
9,126 Posts
Yeah lol they should have laid off the peace pipe before naming their towns....

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Maybe those towns should get together....ROTFLMAO:biggrin:

There are actually 3 funny named towns right next to each other, Intercourse, Blue Ball, and Bird-In-Hand. Lots of jokes in there with only a slightly dirty mind....:mrgreen:

·
Banned
752 Posts
If you like weird town names, PA is full of em... 9 miles from Intercourse is a town called Blue Ball. It doesn't get much better than that :p
Not to mention that the Amish are all over the place around these towns. There is some real beautiful Amish scenery around there. You can even pick up self guided recordings for tours around there.:lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts