Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been on a bike in 20 years. Looking to get back into.
Past bikes:
YZ 125
RM 390
BSA 650 '68
Sportster 1000 '78
Bikes I am considering used:
Suzuki GS 500
Ninja 500
XZ 6 (2003)
While shopping around I ran across a '96 Ninja 600 w/less then 6K miles.
Overall in good shape, some surface pitting on alum.
They are asking $3200, this seem a little high? Any thoughts?
Also I can not find any information on this model? mabye under different model number?
Anyone have this model, would like good/bad comments.
Would also like comments on choices, will 500's ride 2up?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm old fashioned so I'd go for the BSA. They maybe hard to find parts for, but I think there's a certain statement about a man that rides a 68 BSA, rather than someone that rides a ninja 500 or 600.

·
Registered
551 Posts
forget the suzuki , ugly bikes. The ex500 will ride 2 up , no street bike really rides to up comfy though unless your relatively small people. Me and my wife enjoy riding 2 up on my cbr 1000 now that i have upgraded to corbin seats though. The deal on the zx6 doesnt seem to bad , is it the zx6r or the zx6e? with the mileage and condition you described , id offer about 2800. It almost a 11 year old bike. Look at the blue book on it and look at what others of the same bike are going for , look on ebay cycletrader craigslist etc. In your area if 3k seems reasonable , i dont think 3000 would be to bad , but 2800 would be a deal if its in excellent shape.

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
it all deppends where you are.

if you are in Europe the same bike was marketed as the zzr 600. In the U.S. it was marketed as the zx6e.

I was looking at it when I bought my EX500 it was a really nice bike. When I bought my EX i sat on one and though... this is huge!.. Im sure 2up would be no problem on the zx6e. try kbb.com for value information...

the 500 is a very nice bike to start, or get back on two weels.. heck if mine still worked I would still ride it!

here 3200 is about right and the 02, 03s are going for about 5.4k.

the 500 can definately handle two up as long as the two are not too heavy... I think and dont quote me on it the limmit is 400 pounds...

the zx6 would have a lot more engine and thus it would not seem that it was working hard if you do do the 2up thing.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If you want to go 2 up on a 500, I've done it with a combined weight of me and passenger weighing in at 230 ish, and it seemed to struggle a little bit with that on it, the 600, probably wouldnt have much trouble though.

for a 96 with that few miles, check for leaks anywhere, expect to replace rubber parts, and get some stuff tuned in perfectly. I wouldnt offer more than $2500 at the most because of the stuff that could potentially need replacing.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a ZX600 but I dont know much about specs or anything. I dont have a hard time finding parts if I need them you just gotta know the right site to get'em from. Although mine is 10 years older then that shes an '86....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts