Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
It's purple, ma'am
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie pursuing my first purchase, hopefully an 800 Cruiser. Am signing on for an MSF course next month. :smile: What sources of information do you recommend for me to look at for reviews of equipment?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Penguin said:
I am a newbie pursuing my first purchase, hopefully an 800 Cruiser. Am signing on for an MSF course next month. :smile: What sources of information do you recommend for me to look at for reviews of equipment?
If your asking about after market accessories, start here www.cruisercustomizing.com by the way welcome to the forum.

·
It's purple, ma'am
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but those will come later. Thanks. The issue now is essentials like helmet, gloves, boots. I need to bring some stuff for the MSF course, and need some info about the best equipment to choose.

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
Penguin,

Welcome to the forum! :D
I don't have any info for you but I'm sure someone will be chiming in with advice.
Check back often. You're going to like it here. 8)

Scott

·
Registered
806 Posts
Welcome, you'll enjoy yourself here.

As far as helments go, it boils down to personal choice, and you can wade through the deabtes on this site but a couple of the Cruiser Magazines like Road Bike and Motorcycle Cruiser have some comparison tests on helments, bikes, accessories and the like. There's also a number of online motorcycle stores (a couple threads on that within this site as well) that can help with price and never forget ebay once you know what you're looking for. Hope that helps, great plan with the MSF course. If you have a specific question, post it and you'll get some good input.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Helmet: Buy the best quality (at least DOT and/or Snell certified) you can afford. Arai is one that comes to mind. You can get them on sale for as low as $250.

Gloves: You can lose as much as a pint of blood from your hands in a fall. Again, buy the best you can afford, preferably a race-type glove with wrist & palm padding.

Jacket: If you want leather, make sure the thickness is at least 1.5 mm thick, preferably with armor in the right places. Vanson or Motophoria jackets fill the bill. A good quality textile jacket with armor is OK, too. The armor should be CE approved.

Boots: They need to be light, with padding in the ankle & toe areas. If possible, the leather should be 1.8mm-2.0mm thick. Be sure the sole material is oil resistant.

Riding pants: You can go with chaps over regular jeans if you're on a tour, or I would look into the "Draggin' Jeans" by Aerostitch for local back road strafing. Denim does provide more abrasion than fashion grade leather.

These are just general guidelines to ensure you get a quality product that will perform when you need it most. Some people will say that it's too hot out to wear all that stuff. My response is to point out that a hospital bed and bandages (not to mention no riding) for several days or weeks is also pretty hot! :) Most of the stuff mad is pretty nicely vented & I have never had issues with overheating even in 95 degree riding.

Ride safely

·
Registered
229 Posts
Safety gear is great, but the very best I've found is "good experience and plenty of it". Get all the schooling you can get, and know that the other vehicles don't see ya. In the meantime, welcome to our world ! Hope you live long, ride hard, and build more memories then any 10 people !

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I just started riding again. I understand the advice here but if I have to wear all that armor and shielding I will just stay in the car. Yes, I will hit the ground one day, it is part of it. I am going to be free till then. I dont know if that makes me old school or just dumb.

·
Registered
806 Posts
tnhunter said:
I just started riding again. I understand the advice here but if I have to wear all that armor and shielding I will just stay in the car. Yes, I will hit the ground one day, it is part of it. I am going to be free till then. I dont know if that makes me old school or just dumb.
Simply means you're excersising your freedom of choice.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes, it is a choice. And the dynamics of crashes are so varied, there are no absolutes. Armor is actually very light & tough. You hardly know it's there. But in a slower speed crash, or even a parking lot dump, it could mean the difference between a busted up elbow, knee, etc. that may put a stop to riding for a few months. That's why I just do the basics on the protection. If you go overboard, you'll feel and look like an arthropod from another planet!
Ride safely

·
Registered
186 Posts
I find that, in addition to others' suggestions, http://www.webbikeworld.com provides reviews of various motorcycle accessories, and they generally seem honest and thorough.

Helmets come in a variety of prices, and you should try them on to feel how they fit. Just my two cents - I've been very happy with my Arai helmet. They tend to be on the expensive side, but they are extremely comfortable and have excellent ventilation. I can wear it even in the 90's and I don't feel uncomfortable at all. To me comfort is very important.

Also, there are some good textile jackets and overpants available. I wear a First Gear jacket (the "Kenya") and in cold weather, I wear their overpants. Many textile jackets are very versatile. (Probably leather jackets are too, I just don't know as much about them.) My Kenya jacket has a number of vents, lots of pockets, and a removeable liner so I can wear it in very cold weather with the liner and vents closed and I can be comfortable in the warm weather by removing the liner and opening the vents. The great thing about some of the well designed motorcycle apparel is that they are surprisingly comfortable while they provide protection. I don't mind wearing them at all.

BTW - The MSF course is an excellent idea, and the more you ride, the more comfortable and better you will be with your motorcycle. Good luck and enjoy - riding is one of the best experiences.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
For the MSF course, you don't really need to spend any money. They should provide helmets, and all they require is that you wear long pants, above-ankle boots, long sleeves, and gloves. Then, after you get your bike, you can take your time looking for just the right gear. That's what I did, anyway.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Welcome to our world,,
Buy the best helmet you can afford,,if you have a ten dollar head then a ten dollar helmet will work.dont spare no expense there.
.As for boots I have a pair of rubber sole boots that I bought at wally world that work great for riding boots.dont try to ride in cowboy boots ,,the hard soles on them will make your feet fly out from under you on black top roads .(trust me on this one I found out the hard way)..
Also in warm weather I use Bicycle gloves with no fingers in them (also available at wal-mart ) they are around six dollars a pair and have some padding to help protect against road rash yet are comfortable enough to wear.
The best advice I can offer is ,,dont run out a spend a fortune ,,just take your time ,find what you really like and most of all Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Welcome to the fourm Penguin,as far as the gear goes i think everyone else had great suggestions.

·
Registered
70 Posts
School

Hi Penguin ! I'am pretty new here too. You'll find everyone real helpfull here, thats why I like this forum. Dont know how much you have ridden but I took a beginner course to build up my confidence. Glad I did! I went to T.E.A.M. Arizona Motorcyclist Training Center. They supplied helmets and gloves, and I got to see them used on payment, hard!!!! :shock: I have ridden off road a lot but took the school anyways. I was the only one to get a perfect score in class, but the only one to ever have ridden a motorcycle. I had fun! Good luck! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts