Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of posts about winterizing lately, and although we get some stretches of cold here in the TX Panhandle --right now we have some snow--there is usually at least a weekend or two during the winter that I can ride without freezing to death. Sometimes it might be three weeks at a stretch, but usually just two. Besides the weekends, riding during the week is a possiblity as I can get a decent 30-35 minute ride during lunchtime. occasionally.

My question is should I be doing anything for the bike in between those days besides keeping the tank full? My wife was gonna get me a Tender Jr. for xmas. I typically only get to ride on the weekends/lunchtime during the summer as well.

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
IMHO since you are riding about once a week, there is no need to winterize other than maybe using a lighter viscosity oil. As for the tender, they are good to use year round.

On to another thought, in 1975 I lived in San Angelo and rode a Suzuki GT360 or was that a 380. I never winterized it and rode year round.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Sounds like your winter may be similar to what we have around here. I ride as often as I can. Won't be much long riding till prolly March but a lot of short rides. I'll rarely go longer than 2 weeks without some kind of ride. I don't winterize or use a tender but I do keep a full tank with a little seafoam in it, no prob! A couple times when we had snow & it had been about 2 weeks, I did raise the garage door & cranked her up for a few minutes.............didn't wear my helment either! :shock: ;) :biggrin:

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMHO since you are riding about once a week, there is no need to winterize other than maybe using a lighter viscosity oil. As for the tender, they are good to use year round.

On to another thought, in 1975 I lived in San Angelo and rode a Suzuki GT360 or was that a 380. I never winterized it and rode year round.
Thanks.

Yeah, the once a week thing I'm not concerned about, but when a three week stretch comes, or forbid--a month, then I want to make sure I'm not making things harder on the bike than they need to be.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
Plug in the tender like elr658 said. I also keep 3 gallon gas can with stabilizer in it (gas too LOL ) just in case I do get a good day to get out and then top off the tank when I get home.

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll just keep the seafoam in the tank, the fuel topped off, and the tender plugged in.

....Shane

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was just thinking about the same question. Is Seafoam okay with FI though? I seem to recall reading somewhere that it was not a good idea but I could be very wrong. Just bought a tender yesterday in case I find myself unable to ride for a few weeks over the wet spell.

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ttt for BikerEm

FWIW, I and others run Seafoam through their FI bikes all the time to clean things out.

·
It's purple, ma'am
2,016 Posts
Sounds like your winter may be similar to what we have around here. I ride as often as I can. Won't be much long riding till prolly March but a lot of short rides. I'll rarely go longer than 2 weeks without some kind of ride. I don't winterize or use a tender but I do keep a full tank with a little seafoam in it, no prob! A couple times when we had snow & it had been about 2 weeks, I did raise the garage door & cranked her up for a few minutes.............didn't wear my helment either! :shock: ;) :biggrin:
Ooh, you daredevil...do we need to send the helmet police after you??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts