Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RETACTION PRINTED ON PAGE 2. I'm not going to close this post however because its a good conversation topic...Thanks all.

Larger sport bike question?
My bike as on my sig is an FZR1000. Has plenty of drivable torque. But friend says that I sould be riding at like 2k rpms in normal driving. I just feel that the bike has no power there and think that is rediculous. I cruise at like 4k and just below.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
riding at 2k would be lugging it, unless you're in like 2nd gear. 4k and above is more appropriate.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Larger sport bike question?
My bike as on my sig is an FZR1000. Has plenty of drivable torque. But friend says that I sould be riding at like 2k rpms in normal driving. I just feel that the bike has no power there and think that is rediculous. I cruise at like 4k and just below.
By chance does your friend drive a twin?

I have a concours 14 and in 6th gear normal cruise at 70 the motor is fairly lopping along at 3200 with a 11K redline. The bikes likes to stay right about a 4K though where it seems happiest and that is right about 85-90MPH, so I often will stay in 5th instead of 6th.

·
Registered
71 Posts
2k is really low for just about anything. It's an in-line 4 but not the same as a car. Lawn Masters is right. I hold mine at about 4k. This lets the engine run more smoothly. 2k leaves you know room for maneuvering. You'd have to downshift if you come up on a car. Safer to ride at 4k.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
2k is really low for just about anything. It's an in-line 4 but not the same as a car. Lawn Masters is right. I hold mine at about 4k. This lets the engine run more smoothly. 2k leaves you know room for maneuvering. You'd have to downshift if you come up on a car. Safer to ride at 4k.
I'm right at 4000 cruising on the highway at 60-65mph. If I'm riding aggressively I keep it up around 5-6000rpm (or higher). 2000 is pretty much idle for an in-line 4.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I try to keep it at 10500 rpm whenever possible.......j/k

So far, I've been cruising at around 4K rpm. I can't imagine running around at 2000 rpm, that would make the motor pretty unhappy.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
between 4-6k on normal in town roads, about 7k on the highway in 6th.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
My bike, 84 Ninja 900 with a six speed gearbox.
At 130kph I'm turning 5k rpm's.

·
3rd Gear..WooHoo!!
121 Posts
If I'm just lopping around smelling the flowers on my Suzuki Bandit 1200. I can run the motor as little as 2000 RPM, and then roll on the throttle smoothly, and the bike picks up pretty quickly. If I'm playing around some I usually keep it around 3000 RPM or above as the bike responds instantly when I keep it there. If I whack the throttle at 3000-4000 RPM in first or second gear, my front wheel is in the air quicker than I can say "Oooops". If the bike decides that it isn't going to lift the wheel then it just takes off like it's going to tear my arms off, and leave me there. I love Torque.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes he just got a 3 cyl. Triumph sprint. But the FZR1k was the largest sportbike he ever had and he rode it allot.
Well the friend that I'm talking about I have referenced before as an accomplished rider. The guy is 90% correct on everything but I told him I don't know what you are talking about. I said you come over and ride at 2k in fifth at 50mph.
He proceeded to tell me I'm in over my head at 40mph 4k rpm's in a straight line(he was serious).
He stated that I should be good enough that I can drop two gears to get out of danger. Why tf would I drop 2 if I can be at 4k and ready to go. I have to say that he doesn't know what he is talking about, and thats what I told him. I just think he doesn't know the bike, but I don't know why bc he owned it for 5yrs.

I want to let off the throttle in traffic and have a very slight engine brake going on. How annoying would that be to drop gears bc a car changed there speed 5mph.

Trike-And your riding a freaking 14 with efi. if yours don't like it mine would freakn probably stall. My FZR would start bucking like a dam drag car in rush hour traffic at that 2k rpm. And you've been riding for a good long time and on various different engine configurations.
The guys on 600's yea I figure that you would ride that high no doubt. I can't imagine riding below 3k, and btw I have only 5gears.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Chevy 3500 Deisels redline at 3,000 RPMS and cruise at 1,000 RPMS
Yup. I personally think the reason people think you should run lower RPMs comes straight from driving cages (not from Harleys as some people claim). My truck will cruise around 2000 RPMs at 70 mph. My Cutlass is just over 2000 RPMs at 70 (used to be up around 3000 til I dropped in an overdrive). In fact, just about every cage I've ever driven (and had a tach) has cruised around 2000-2500 RPMs. Takes some getting used to when you jump from 2000 RPM (cruising) cages to 4000 RPM (cruising) motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
4,767 Posts
Yup. I personally think the reason people think you should run lower RPMs comes straight from driving cages (not from Harleys as some people claim). My truck will cruise around 2000 RPMs at 70 mph. My Cutlass is just over 2000 RPMs at 70 (used to be up around 3000 til I dropped in an overdrive). In fact, just about every cage I've ever driven (and had a tach) has cruised around 2000-2500 RPMs. Takes some getting used to when you jump from 2000 RPM (cruising) cages to 4000 RPM (cruising) motorcycles.
I agree. Sh*t, I think my 900 probably cruises at 4,000 rpms on the highway! :eek:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
The guys on 600's yea I figure that you would ride that high no doubt. I can't imagine riding below 3k, and btw I have only 5gears.
Are you on the FZR and only have 5 gears? cause I know those things have 6 unless one of em is broke.

bikes dislike being lugged in the low rpms, and 2k is practically idling for one of them, so yeah. no good for riding. nothing like being at 4k or so and just being able to open the throttle at will and GO.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you on the FZR and only have 5 gears? cause I know those things have 6 unless one of em is broke.

bikes dislike being lugged in the low rpms, and 2k is practically idling for one of them, so yeah. no good for riding. nothing like being at 4k or so and just being able to open the throttle at will and GO.
NO not broken has 5gears just like Yamaha made her. Here are the specs. The 1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 motorcycle.

Yea he thought that the bike would do 70mph at 3,8-4k. He was way wrong and I informed him its at 4,6k at 70mph. He has no idea what the rpm's are bc he was so used to the bike that he just made up a number.
He still wants to ride with me and swap bikes, to test. He has a 3cyl. Triumph Sprint 1050ST that he is displeased with due to noise gearing and the fact that I own his favorate bike.:mrgreen:
Yea I told him about the post and he accused us all of being inexperienced and irresponsible... Yea if the hole world says your wrong, you just might be wrong.:wink:

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
NO not broken has 5gears just like Yamaha made her. Here are the specs. The 1994 Yamaha FZR 1000 motorcycle.

Yea he thought that the bike would do 70mph at 3,8-4k. He was way wrong and I informed him its at 4,6k at 70mph. He has no idea what the rpm's are bc he was so used to the bike that he just made up a number.
He still wants to ride with me and swap bikes, to test. He has a 3cyl. Triumph Sprint 1050ST that he is displeased with due to noise gearing and the fact that I own his favorate bike.:mrgreen:
Yea I told him about the post and he accused us all of being inexperienced and irresponsible... Yea if the hole world says your wrong, you just might be wrong.:wink:
Displeased with the triumph triple, then he's got problems, that's one of the sweetest motors in motorcycling right now. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts