Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for advice on installing a Back Off Brake light module on my '07 VN900 Classic. Where did you find room to put the module? Was there any problem with the wiring? If so, what did you do to overcome it? Are you happy with the install? what would you do differently?

Anything that would make this go smoothly would be appreciated!

Thanks, and Have a Safe and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am looking for advice on installing a Back Off Brake light module on my '07 VN900 Classic. Where did you find room to put the module? Was there any problem with the wiring? If so, what did you do to overcome it? Are you happy with the install? what would you do differently?

Anything that would make this go smoothly would be appreciated!

Thanks, and Have a Safe and Happy New Year!
I don't have a 900 so I can't say exactly where to put it but I had a Classic and put it under the seat. The wire going back to the brake light was right there, I split it and put the flasher inline. I had to wedge it in there, tight fit but after taping up the connections and stuffing the unit back near the seat, it lived there for a while with no problems. Mine was a lesser known brand but I felt a lot better having it there. If you plan on going to LEDs you might have some trouble with it so that would be something to consider. Good luck and keep the shiny side up.
Keith

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
The wires running to the tail light travel under the seat and penetrate the rear fender behind the toolkit tray. Remove the 2 screws securing the toolkit tray and you can see the rear swingarm . I spliced into the taillight wires prior to the point where they penetrate the rear fender, and tie-wrapped the Back off module to the swing arm with 2-3 tie-wraps. Very secure and out of sight. Replace the tool tray and you're done!. If you want a reversible solution, just use some bullet connectors with a bit of dielectric grease.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
NOOOOOO, Don't do it!!! Brake light modulators are just a gateway device to dark siders. You'll burn in Hell!

Just thought I'd contradict my post on the other board ta confuse ya!

·
Registered
966 Posts
I put mine in My tool box location on my V2K

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Yes it is, but I have the LED kit that hooks up on the indicators for more visibilty. The Backoff modual flashes these too where the bulb doesn't. You makes your choice and pays your money.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I placed mine under the seat. It came with 2-sided sticky patch and I stuck it to the frame. It is an easy install.

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
Not too sure about the Kisan unit, but if it is incorporated into the bulb...and the bulb burns out (as all bulbs do)...ouch! Bulb replacement =$80! I think I'd rather use a cheap bulb and an external module.

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Not too sure about the Kisan unit, but if it is incorporated into the bulb...and the bulb burns out (as all bulbs do)...ouch! Bulb replacement =$80! I think I'd rather use a cheap bulb and an external module.
Wrong, the bulb element is replacable with a G-4 Halogen 20 watt element available at most auto parts houses. Should run between 2 and 4 bucks each.

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
Shows what I know! I stand corrected and thanks for the info! With this information, the Kisan unit would be simpler when it comes to installation.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I put mine in my sidecover. Very good safety device in my opinion. There are two wires coming out of the module. You will need to cut the wire going to the tail light. One wire from the brake module goes to towards the tail lamp, the other wire from the brake module goes toward the brake switch.

Use a meter or test light to determine the correct wire before cutting.

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
The brake lamp wire is the blue with red stripe. Cut it and connect the red wire from the Back Off to the end of the blue/red coming from the front of the bike, and connect the white/red from the Back Off to the blue/red end going to the tail lamp. The ground wire from the Back Off can be spliced into the black/yellow wire in the same harness as that's the bikes ground. Pretty simple!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts