Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any good recommendations for an engine block heater for a motorcycle? Specifically a Vulcan 500 LTD, 2007.

I honestly never expected to keep riding after it dipped below 40, but I had just bought it, so I did, and now I can't stop. It was -7 (Farenheit) last week and I kept on riding, well when it started, haha. Took a small heater and a very warm quick built enclosure to get it started.

So I was thinking about an engine block heater. Has anyone ever put one on a bike? I tried to find this topic in the search, but came with up with one result, and it was kinda old, and not much help.

I was thinking of either modifying one intended for a car, or using one intended for a snowmobile.

Any input?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
As I understand it, some will go down the oil filler hole, others may stick to the oil pan either by magnets or adhesive.

I'd be concerned about the electrical connection being damaged while riding as if the insulation gets cut due to vibration, your bike could develope a very dangerous condition.

Most block heaters run on 115 volts A.C and you could get more than a "Tingle" if conditions are right.

If you use a the dipstick type of heater, then it's a different story.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
A 100 watt light bulb under the engine works pretty good, and a 300-500 watt quarts light works even better. Careful though, those quarts lights melt plastic!:eek: And there cannot be any leaking fuel at all! I recall my best friend coming and picking me up on his new Kaw 500 Mach-III on Christmas day 1974. It was -3 that day and I still shiver and shake thinking about that ride!:eek:All I had on was bell bottom levis a shirt and a levi jacket!Old Hippies never die, they just wise up and park their bikes for the winter! :sgrin:

·
Obfuscation Engineer
6,704 Posts
When the need arises I park the bike over a ceramic light fixture with bulb of choice . Incandescent 60 to 150W for temperatures down to freezing , infrared heat lamps for anything more severe . Common floods work but are less efficient . Because of the reduced temperatures be aware of possible carb icing . Limit part throttle high vacuum situations as in extended warm up @ 2,000 rpm and part throttle cruise . These situations usually take place in high humidity such as fog but can sneak up on you .

~kop

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Never realized there were 'stick on' engine block heaters...the one in my Cutlass takes the place of a freeze plug in the block. Good to know! :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.
My dad and I were discussing it last night, and he suggested just an oil-pan warmer. I wasn't sure if that would be enough, but given the milder temps of Missouri I'm guessing it will be enough, and if I travel up to ND/MT with my cycle this winter I'll just have to park it in a friend garage..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts