Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought some LED license plate bolts to keep my '05 zx6r legal after I moved the plate mount, but I was wondering if anyone knew exactly how to install them. I do alright with mechanical stuff, but when it comes to electrical stuff Im kind of lost. Is it a simple plug them in and go, or is it more complicated?
Thanks

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
you need to splice in the wires, most likely. If it's like the ones I bought, each light/bolt will have two wires. I had to cut the wire to my original license plate light and splice those wires from the bolt lights into those original ones. I saved the original light so that if I should ever decide to put it back to original, I have the parts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so just pretty much strip the wires a bit, join the two together with the original one and wrap the whole thing in electrical tape?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Don't get the wires too tight, vibration will break them. I like using the heatshrinkable crimp splices from Parts-Express.com - Speakers, Speaker Building, Home Audio and Video, Pro Audio, Electronic Parts & Accessories

Parts-Express.com: Express Seal (22-18) Butt Connector 10 Pcs. | solderless terminal butt connector crimp connector solderless crimp crimp on
Parts-Express.com: Express Seal (16-14) Butt Connector 10 Pcs. | solderless terminal butt connector crimp connector solderless crimp crimp on
Parts-Express.com: Express Seal (12-10) Butt Connector 10 Pcs. | solderless terminal butt connector crimp connector solderless crimp crimp on

I don't like the 3M wire connectors that come with some electrical items. They are designed to tap into the existing wires by displacing the insulation.

The guys that do trailer wiring hate them as the wire will get corrosion and become intermittant having you going in circles trying to find the problems.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the imput, but you have to remember that I'm an idiot when it comes to electrical stuff. Simple is best for me right now (plus I have about 5 days before I get a ticket from super-cop campus police because my bike isnt "street legal").

1 - 7 of 7 Posts