Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I am trying to install a radio I bought for the vulcan 900 that have three wires they show on the schematics Green goes to - Red to the + and the black goes to the ignition switch the ignition switch has more than a few wires to does anyone knows if I should connect to the black wire coming out if the ignition switch ? any ideas anyone ?
don't want to cause a short ....
thanks

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
It looks like the Radio is designed to be switched off when the Bikes Ignition is turned off to negate the user forgetting and ending up with a flat Battery in which case you need to splice into the Thick Brown wire from the back of the Ignition switch.
Without looking at the Radio's wiring diagram I would assume if you connect that Black wire to the + side of the Battery the Radio will remain on even with the Bikes Ignition off until you turn it off.

·
Sick Puppy
3,202 Posts
It looks like the Radio is designed to be switched off when the Bikes Ignition is turned off to negate the user forgetting and ending up with a flat Battery in which case you need to splice into the Thick Brown wire from the back of the Ignition switch.
Without looking at the Radio's wiring diagram I would assume if you connect that Black wire to the + side of the Battery the Radio will remain on even with the Bikes Ignition off until you turn it off.
Probably, the third wire will keep the memory of the radio alive. ( clock, presets)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Surely they would get that feed from the Red wire connecting to the + Side of the Battery as the op stated.
Maybe there is an indicator in the instructions we need for clarification.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I tried to connect the black to the - red to + but the radio didn't come on
maybe the radio is defective :) or it only works only according to the diagram
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
673 Posts
Black is normally a ground so normally this should be connected to ground or to the negative terminal of your battery. So black to red just scares the heck out of me because Red is normally reserved for the positive side of your battery.

Your original post said "...three wires they show on the schematics Green goes to - Red to the + and the black goes to the ignition switch". This is an awkward sentence since a minus sign appears right before Red and no comma to clarify. I will assume you meant the following:
1) Green wire from radio goes to negative (ground) on bike.
2) Red wire from radio goes to positive on the bike.
3) Black wire from radio goes to ignition switch.

If the above 3 statements are accurate, then it would appear that Green and Red are used to power the radio and the black wire is used to switch on the radio when the ignition key is turned. The black wire would function sort of like a relay to complete an internal circuit of the red wire. Without seeing the radio and its complete instructions, this is just my best guess as to what is going on.

What I don't know is if the black wire needs to see a ground from the ignition switch or does it need to see 12 volts??
Based on convention, black should be grounded but I would be very careful before randomly trying to connect the wires. Are there any other details in the installation instructions that might shed some light on this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is what it looks like green to Battery - black to ignition switch does it make sense ? if it does to what wire on the ignition switch do I connect the black wire ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome great video really appreciate the answers from everybody
never thought I can connect red and black together go figure in electric world it's called a short haha
Thanks again everybody

·
Registered
673 Posts
No just three wires like the schematics shows ......black red and green
Ok. I am officially confused. The schematic you posted shows 5 wires.

Anyway, if indeed the video that greenisbest posted is for your unit, then yes you can wire it hot (red and black together) but if you forget your radio on you will have a dead battery. Now that we know black wants a positive source (either from battery or from the ignition switch) all you will need to do is to find a wire coming from your ignition switch that is hot only when the the key is turned on. Connect your black wire to the hot ignition key wire and you are good to go and never have to worry about forgetting the radio on as it will only have power with the keyswitch turned on.

Enjoy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts