Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up some supports for my Vulcan 800 and went to install them tonight. Except that with the added thickness of the supports, the rear bolt on each side is now too short to catch the threads inside. Do I have to now get slightly longer bolts to attach these?

Hilts

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Hilts said:
I picked up some supports for my Vulcan 800 and went to install them tonight. Except that with the added thickness of the supports, the rear bolt on each side is now too short to catch the threads inside. Do I have to now get slightly longer bolts to attach these?

Hilts

Yes. Take one out and take it to a nut and bolt store to match up one that is a little longer. Get the stainless steel ones. They are a little more expensive, but are best.

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that was fast. Yeah, thats what I figured too. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something first as I'd never heard of having to replace the bolts too. I just figured I'd be able to throw them on in 5 minutes. Thanks.

Hilts

·
Super Moderator
10,861 Posts
I found out the hard way on my 800B, but on the left side the support may be just a bit too long unless you have stiffened up your suspension a lot. It will hit the bolt head directly below it, for the chain guard, I think. I had no luck bending the support out, so I ended up cutting out about 1" from the downward arms and welding in a piece of small diameter steel shaft. If you hear a sharp rap when you go over a bump, check this out. You can tell from the wear on the bolthead.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Hilts said:

Hilts
welcome aboard Hilts, which brand of supports did you get? The ones I got had longer bolts that came with them.

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome.

Actually, the suppports I have are hand-made. I met a guy on another forum who has the identical bike to mine. He made his own supports and when I saw the digital pictures of his, I thought why not? Once the bags are on you can't see them anyway. My dealer here in Canada wants $125 for the supports. These hand-made ones cost about $10 US in materials. He made some for other Vulcan owners too and he shipped my pair up last week. It was last night I went to install them and discovered the now too-short rear bolt problem. Once I get longer bolts, these will work just fine.

Hilts

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
Hilts said:
Thanks for the welcome.

Actually, the suppports I have are hand-made. I met a guy on another forum who has the identical bike to mine. He made his own supports and when I saw the digital pictures of his, I thought why not? Once the bags are on you can't see them anyway. My dealer here in Canada wants $125 for the supports. These hand-made ones cost about $10 US in materials. He made some for other Vulcan owners too and he shipped my pair up last week. It was last night I went to install them and discovered the now too-short rear bolt problem. Once I get longer bolts, these will work just fine.

Hilts

I remember that. It was a guy on the Beginner Bikes forum. The supports he made looked good. I got the Cobra supports on mine and I needed longer bolts.

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bluestringer said:
I remember that. It was a guy on the Beginner Bikes forum. The supports he made looked good. I got the Cobra supports on mine and I needed longer bolts.
Thats right. His name is Raff. He hangs out now at

http://www.beginnerandbeyond.com

I don't have a digital camera so I'd have to see if I can get someone to take a picture for me but certainly Raff has pictures of his own. He in fact has encouraged me to tell people about the supports that he makes. He wouldn't even take money for them. I'm going to send him a t-shirt or something from where I work to compensate him. He's a stand-up guy.

Hilts

·
Grade "A" Poser
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hand_Made Saddlebag Supports

ispeed77 said:
Hilts
take some pics of the supports if you can. i am sure there are a few people on here that wouldn't mind saving a little money !
Here is the pic of Raff's hand-made supports.

Hilts

·
Registered
159 Posts
I purchased saddle bag supports from F&S for about $75. You have to be carefull with saddle bag supports. They are on both sides of your rear wheel. If those home made supports were to break due to not using a strong metal or come loose and fall into your back wheel while in motion it will lock up your rear wheel. The washers used on them hinder the secureness of the support to the bike. The F&S supports are made of heavy steel and have a large heavy bushing and weld at the mounting point. You have to be very careful of what you bolt on to your bike at the rear, or even front, wheel.

·
Registered
123 Posts
knightrider, not to worry my man, my supports are made of 3/8 diameter steel rodes and are one piece, I would think that a weld part would break easier that one piece of steel. If a bad support break because is not strong enough it would be hard to lock up the rear wheel, don't you think. Any way I used my for a year now and no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
How do these compare to ghost brackets?

I have veered away from bags and used a T-bag on my luggage rack but it is showing some wear on my chrome that I do not like. Thinking about bags but don't want them there all the time and like the thought and look of ghost brackets. So, what do ya think?

·
Registered
123 Posts
T-man said:
How do these compare to ghost brackets?

I have veered away from bags and used a T-bag on my luggage rack but it is showing some wear on my chrome that I do not like. Thinking about bags but don't want them there all the time and like the thought and look of ghost brackets. So, what do ya think?
Hey guys, the saddlebags supports that I made are an alternative for those who don't want to pay over 75 bucks for them like me. I rather to use that money on something else than a pair of brackets that no one sees anyway,
If you want to spend over 100 bucks on supports I have no problem with it, is your money.

This is a close up picture of my Vulcan supports, can you see them?

Ride Safe

·
Registered
66 Posts
I picked up saddle bag supports that weren't even for my bike (not even the right manufacturer) but the aftermarket dealer I work with had them around because some other joker ordered the wrong part. So I picked em up for about 15 bucks and "modified" them. A little heat, a drill and some ingenuity and all is well. I then got more creative and mounted them inside the bag so the bag looks like it is just stuck to the side of my fender. Only issue I have is that the bracket on the left side sticks out more than the one on the right. I did this because I was concerned about it interfering with my chain. Turns out I probably didn't need to worry so much. It's not very high on my "to do list" so it remains that way still.
I will try and get some photos of this on the next nice day and post for all to see.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hilts said:
Here is the pic of Raff's hand-made supports.

Hilts
T-man this is the picture from the side. last week a found a place that chrome metal, I took my supports to show to them and they would charge me 30 bucks to chrome them which still cheaper than $75. in other forum when I was looking for cheap supports some guy gave the idea to make my own. After I made my own I made a couple more for other guys, I am going to get the pictures so you can see them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts