Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here i am getting a new zx-6r
what do i need for coverages? the bike is valued for much more than i purchased it for, if i get Collision and Comprehensive with a $1,000 deduct its half the price of my bike a year. if i just do the CA minimum its $366 (geico) so why should i cover it... i can get comp $1000 deduct and its like $660 yr.
the bike isnt a huge investment for me so i feel like paying half the price of it in a year would be retarded... what does everyone ealse think? :confused:

BTW, im 19 w/ 1 minor fender bender

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
You age does not help... get your dad or mom to "buy" it and be the primary rider.... if you are bound and determined to own it... then you are going to have to pay it or go with comprehensive and liability.... so dont cause any wrecks if you do this, but it will drop the price a lot. Collision is what you are really playing for.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mom and dad dont ride so im not sure how that would work... i figured it would be pretty hard for a motorcycle to cause serious damage to a car, but if i did the insurance would cover 15 000 damage and 15,000 injury to anyone i hurt, i have med insurance so pretty much if i where to crash and be at fault i would lose my bike if it was bad. but i think paying 2500 for coverage a year is just stupid.... its not my main form of transportation. any other ideas or anyone think its worth the 2500?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Since you're 19 then yes, I'd get full coverage. At 19 I would have seen exactly how fast it could go and how hard I could corner.

Collision is the most expensive because it pays to repair your bike even if you are at fault. Comprehensive will cover your bike if say, a) someone kicks over your bike, b) your bike is caught in a fire, c) your bike is stolen. I'd recommend it just for the theft coverage as it's a brand new supersport.

But again remember, unless the other person is at fault you will get NO money for an accident without collision.

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
And if you pick the minimum liability and are at fault and the other party's costs exceed that minimum liability, you're personally responsible! If you're in any sort of accident and the other party doesn't have insurance or has insufficient insurance, your underinsured/noninsured coverage limits are usually the same as the liability limits and your bills won't necessarily be covered. Heck, these days $30K hardly gets an appendix taken out.

If you place minimum value on your life or financial future, go ahead and opt for minimum liability.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It depends on thing really. If you lose control of that bike and it incurs say $5,000 worth of damage, are you willing to get it fixed out of pocket? If you damage your bike that badly and you decide to quit within the first year then the coverage would end up saving you money since they'll fix/replace it and then you can resell at normal value..

I personally don't have full coverage and have already put around $1,000 worth of damage on a bike from a head on collision with a pole that I paid out of pocket for. Anything too serious will probably retire me from riding since my family would be very against it at that point (as if when I had the other accident they weren't against it enough!)

edit: and I guess it depends on above statement too

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I forgot I don't live in lawsuit-happy land. Maybe it would be a good idea.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check State Farm Insurance, they are the cheapest around here.

It is just like car insurance though. What is it worth to you? Can you fix it if totalled / wrecked? Is it worth the insurance premium hike to claim the accident to begin with? Is the bike your main source of transportation? Too many questions.

Generally if you get in an accident and have medical bills, your bike insurance is not going to want to pay that assuming you have medical coverage elsewhere.

A good buddy of mine works through Allstate, if interested, let me know! He will break it all down for you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with the insuring through your parents. I paid about $600 a year for bare minimum with progressive by myself. After my accident and paying out of pocket for the damages I switched to State Farm under my parents and got full coverage for $265. Makes me feel a lot better going out now knowing I'm covered.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
or you could go with no insurance and no licence like me lol
Not even lawsuits anymore....
California DMV bounces off of the insurance databases and will revoke your registration if you let your insurance policy expire.

Too many people would buy insurance, pay their tags, and let the policy expire. They are on it quickly... I "gave" my truck back to the bank on 9/12 and cancelled the insurance. 2 weeks ago (about 45 days) I got a notice from the DMV they were revoking my tags if I didn't provide valid insurance info in 30 days. I told them "I don't care, not my truck anymore"

If the bike is financed, the bank will require that you carry comp and collision, and MAY state a minimum deductible. I carry $100 deductible on the bike and $500 on the cage.

As far as the minimum 15/30... it's really not enough. Today's medical costs will eat up 30k in an ER visit, and if you hit and total any vehicle larger than a Civic, it's going to be 20k+.
It doesn't cost THAT much more to bump the liability to something that might realistically cover damages/injury.

·
rain is here
2,793 Posts
what do i need for coverages? the bike is valued for much more than i purchased it for, if i get Collision and Comprehensive with a $1,000 deduct its half the price of my bike a year. if i just do the CA minimum its $366 (geico) so why should i cover it... i can get comp $1000 deduct and its like $660 yr.
the bike isnt a huge investment for me so i feel like paying half the price of it in a year would be retarded... what does everyone ealse think? :confused:

I thought the same thing for my zzr 600, I purchased liability and comprehensive.
This past friday I crashed (thanks to a dog) and the bike is pretty much totaled.

now I am 6500 out with no money to pay for another means of my own transportation. and I am 22 yr old...

Insurance was the one reason i whent for the zzr instad of the zx6r.

·
Registered
135 Posts
geico is the cheapest... 15/15 is plenty, if you hit a car, youre getting hurt and your bike is most likely done for... the car you hit will be fine... why pay more money if you dont need to?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ thats what i thought, for a cheap bike (5,000) i dont want to pay $2500 a year for coverage... medical insurance will cover me if im hurt and i find it hard that a motorcycle can do serious damage to a car, or atleast more than 20,000... but if i did get coverage and totaled my bike would they pay me the value of my bike? which is much higher than what i payed or would they see i olny payed 5,000 and cover that?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
They should pay you what it's worth on an open market. Some people say they only pay you what you tell the DMV you paid for it (for tax purposes) but I'm pretty sure that's a load of bull****. I got paid fair market value and tax on top of that.

@Thmastr: If you HIT the dog comprehensive might cover it as a dog could be thought of as an act of God if you smooth talk the insurance company. If they won't budge on their position I"d definitely look into an insurance lawyer and see what tehy have to say. For 6500 bucks it might be worth it to look into legal help if you even see only half of that money.

·
Banned
880 Posts
i only see a few choices, either pay it, ride illegally, get a dinasaur of a bike or dont ride. if u want it bad enough id get an old bike with minimal ins.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts

Get full coverage. You have a lot to lose. Me, I have financial obligations such as a mortgage to deal with and anything that can harm my standard of living is not worth it. Plus I am in a sue happy state and live in pretty nice area where everyone rolls in $$$ cars so I like to be covered to the max.

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
Wow good luck trying to get it insured under your parents. If your parents are smart, they would know that when something bad and will go wrong their insurance will go up. Plus, you're 19....not some little 12 year old...come on, it's time to let go of their hand already.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts