Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody wanna help me out with what i can expect to be payin for insurance on an '04 ZX6R?? i'm 20 years old, PERFECT RECORD. any help is much appreciated. thanx alot.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Insurance

you just missed out on a big insurance chat the other day. If you have insurance try going through your car company...first you will get a better deal. IF you have to insure a bike alone and it isn't paid off you'll be paying some BIG BUCKS! State farm will carry mine, I've been with them for over 30 years now...big break of me...even with a clean record. I wasn't happy with what I was hearing about insurance for one on payments...even with a clean record at 51years of age! Good luck...
I'm going for a salvaged bike and it'll be paid off so i'll have just the minimums, and lots of extra change for security and nice gear...esp the helmet and new Vanson Jacket and gear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx...

thanx, yeah sorry i didn't search in advance, i have now, found some good info, but yeah i just joined the forum today so...;) anyway, i have auto insurance with USAA, but they don't do motorcycle insurance for anyone under 21, so they referred me to Progressive and their rates were OUTRAGEOUS-something along the lines of 2500 or so/year!! and what exactly have you heard about how insurance is different if you finance? i plan on getting some sort of full coverage. definately not liability. ya just never know. also, do you know anything about a discount for the Motorcycle Safety Course? cuz i have taken it, aced it in fact, and it was my first real ride. thanx again. sorry to bug ya! :p

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you financed the bike, most likely you'll have to get full coverage, and at our age that'll never be cheap.

A buddy of mine got quoted $6500/yr :shock: and that was the cheapest he could find. Luckily his dad insured it instead, otherwise he would have had to get rid of the bike.

Progressive told me they don't give the 10% discount for the MSF course. :x

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
HOLD UP!!!

Insurance is expensive if you have to pay for EVERYTHING. Find a nice used NINJA 250R and save lots of money and insurance, get some good gear, and in a couple of years, an hopefully a clean record, things will be different. You will know how to ride and repair, you rates will be cheaper and you will have some serious riding gear. There is nothing wrong with a 250 NINJA! You can go with an AirTeck full fairing, clamp-ons, rear sets, an aftermarket exhaust, carb change setups, airfilter changes...bottom line the MAXIMUM Speed Limit is STILL only 70-75MPH, and the bike is capable of getting you a topend speeding ticket. Meanwhile your fuel economy, insurance, maintenance...ther eare a lot of advantages to a new or used NINJA 250R...Besides your parents could still insure you from your homestate and your insurance company and Registration can still befrom hter as well...I know..after 20 years of NAVY that you can beat the system IF you try hard enough by searching out and investigating. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanx...

...but no thanx to a 250. i'll stick with the ZX6R, i've had my heart set on this bike for some time now. Silver. Period. Nothing less. All that money i spend on a 250R would be money wasted. And good gear is under control. I'm not getting a full suit or anything as i won't be goin to the track and rarely even on the interstate. But leather jacket, NICE gloves, and a nice helmet are under control. You can do all that stuff to a 250R, but why? to get 1/2 the hp?? i dunno, sounds dumb IMO. but that's me. And my parents are not in the picture, i've been out of the house since graduation 3 years ago. And "saving money"? i'll be happy with a 1200/year quote or less. full coverage. look at my sig ;). both the Z and the jeep are over $150/month. the ford is like $11 lol. liability on that POS. Don't take any of that the wrong way, i don't wanna come off as a prick. :D and thank you for welcoming me, i'm very pleased thus far with the forum. thanx for the advice.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
NINJA 250R

Well, because you will find that there are people that could leave you behind so fast that you'd be ready to get off of your bike and put the kickstand down...YOu can turbocharge, supercharge a car, why? You can paint one, why? Why can't a guy do his thing on a Ninja 250R? I've ridden a Suzuki GSX600R, a Kawasaki GPz750, a Honda Interstate (1600cc)...I Like the 250R. I'm not upset with you wanting a 600. It truely is a nice bike! Do I think that I personally could outride you, or that Valentino Rossi the 250 2003 MotoGP Champion could...who cares? The only thing that I care about is that you are mature enough to handle the bike, and are fully insured. Does it mean that your riding skills are less than what a 250R could do...again, who cares. Just because it is DUMB to you only means that you are not Stupid, it just means that you are IGNORANT...the difference only being that of KNOWLEDGE. I'm not mad at you, I'm only upset, really upset that people get things in their head and that is the way it is. At 51, I can have any bike that I want. I choose a bike that I can pay little to no insurance on, and change gearing and blow bikes like 600's away on very tight and twisty roads like I have here in my neck of the woods. It's nice when you see a 4 cylinder bike get smaller in your rear view mirrors...it's even more fun at the end when he pulls up mext to you and have the great chat about what the heck you are running for an engine and gearing!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok....

it's cool, i understand both our view points, maybe i shouldn't have said "dumb" my bad. but i'm not ignorant, you don't even know me. if that's how you understood the things i said, then you definately misunderstood. or i insulted you, so you insulted me back, i definately didn't mean to. sorry. secondly here, if you thought that about me and were worried about the maturity factor and your 250 is so much faster than the bike i want, why would you recommend it to me(a 250 w/the mods)? just didn't think that made sense. i want something new, never ridden, that way i know how it's been taken care of all of its life. also, i'm sure you could outride me, this will be my first bike, i'd say i'm better than average already, driving/riding anything just comes naturally to me, but you'd definately outride me...you're 51 and have been riding for um...yeah a long time. so no disrespect. chill. i seriously didn't think i came off like such a prick. once again, accept my apologies that i came off that way. and don't worry, i'm getting this bike for good reasons, first bike, so i'm starting off small(people are different, "small" is at different levels for different people) and frankly i don't mind up to $100/month insurance if that's what it's gonna cost, and i love the styling of the new ZX6R's, and have only heard great things. anyway, i'm rambling, thanx for the help, and believe it or not by my misinterpreted response, i appreciate your feedback. later. oh yeah, i know a bike is a bike and fast as ****, but i've had my Z for a year and a half now and it's dyno'd at 468rwhp/498rwtq, best time to date on drag radials is 11.2. i put about 4-5K miles on it per year average. i've raced many auto-xin events, won many classes, gone 170ish mph. but yeah a bike is a bike, i'm just pointing out i can handle power, i can handle speed, i'm mature. so don't touch on that subject, thanx.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Since this is your first bike, you might want to get someting used first.

1) insurance will be cheaper
2) you can make all the mistakes new riders make on a less expensive bike.
3) make sure that 600 is the right bike for you, you might decide it's too small. It'll be easier to get your money back out of a used bike, cause new ones depreciate real fast.

Yeah, I read your above posts, and I said the same thing. Plus I've ridden before, and I still low sided. 2 wheels are a lot different than 4, no matter what.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WE'RE COOL!!!

Done some Autocross with my 1974 Camaro. I thought I was doing bad so I put on Full Racing Sway bars, moved the Battery to the trunk and ran welding cable to the starter...went with TOYO 240-60-14 tires changed the manifold and carb...then got beat up real bad because I moved it out of my stock class that I could compete in. It's okay...I missed a ticket that a radar gun hit me at 142...a "buddy" KHP later told me that it looked like my car, they never caught the guy...gee, it's a good thing is what I told him. I don't speed much. There are just to many people that don't know how to drive here in Kansas. My favorite past time...silly of me..is the Modified version of the MSF course that we have to pass on in the Military. Lots of slalom cones, figure eights, 25foot length straight line take the longest time you can getting to the end...braking in straight lines, corners both increasing and decreasing radius, tight circles, both left and right...stopping and setting the longest/feet up drills...panic stops are still adreniline rushes for me. I miss the military (retired). Anyway, "I'm sorry," as well if I in turn misunderstood your comments. Just keep the rubber on the ground, what little there is of it, and keep an eye out for Kansas drivers!

·
Registered
38 Posts
whatever you do, just don't get progressive! search under 'progressive sucks' on this forum for more details. i pay $1776 a year for "full" coverage. however, when i had to lay my bike down to avoid a collision, suddenly my collision coverage disappeared off my policy! :evil: i've since heard of progressive doing this same thing to other people at my local bike shop. they're cheap, but basically... you're not covered.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I got an 04 500R brand new. I have just liability on it for a little under $300 a year with progressive. It would have been under 200 but I have some tickets. Anyway they wanted $1400 a year for full coverage with high deductables. So if I drop the bike I woudl have to pay an aditional $500 to the 1400 for the repair....I decided to say screw that and just save money in the bank for emergencies. If i need repairs, ill have money and wont have to worry about expensive insurance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just bought a 2004 ZX6R today. Progressive was expensive for insurance. I ended up just getting liablity which is the required insurance for North Carolina.

I don't know about other states, but in NC if you finance a Kawasaki and it's under 10K, then you only have to get liability. I know some people have been saying if you finance you have to get full coverage. I thought the same thing until the dealer told me otherwise.

If I lay the bike down, I'll just pay for repairs. My quote was $3,400 for full coverage and I have nothing on my record. That's freakin stupid. In two years I could buy a new bike.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I only have Liability on my '02 500R. I pay $92 a year. With only 6 years experience and being 27, no tickets, no accidents.

I was told by the dealer that since I bought the bike on the Kawasaki Good Times Credit card, that for the first 4 years, I won't need full coverage, because the card will replace the bike if anything was to ahppen to it because of some protection plan that goes along with the card.

I hope that's true, otherwise I may need to start looking into full coverage.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts