Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe how expensive insurance is.

I'm 23 and married with a good record, I've taken an MSF safety course, and I'm quoting a "sport touring" bike. And still, the best price I've found for standard full coverage is almost $2000 a year!!! Compare that to the $244 a year for liability only.

$2000 a year!!! That's just rediculous.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Have you tried Progressive? My son found that they had the lowest rates for young guys on motorcycles. He even had a DUI on his record, and he still got a really good rate. Don't know how much he paid, though.

If you were old like me, you could get your insurance through AARP. Their rates are half what our regular insurance company was giving us. But, believe, it's better to be 23. :D

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Sooooo.....Julie.....You being an "Oldster" and all...LOL

Would you mind telling us what your rates are with AARP? Why am I asking? Well....if 53 makes me an oldster then I should look into it also! :)

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Scary Harry said:
Ha !!!
When you get my age being just called a Senior is not really a bad thing.
LOL....Harry.....I am afraid to count that high! :)

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
pitbull76 said:
Have you tried State Farm? They're the best place I've found for full coverage.
I have been with State Farm since 1972.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
yagiska said:
I can't believe how expensive insurance is.

I'm 23 and married with a good record, I've taken an MSF safety course, and I'm quoting a "sport touring" bike. And still, the best price I've found for standard full coverage is almost $2000 a year!!! Compare that to the $244 a year for liability only.

$2000 a year!!! That's just rediculous.
Usually you won't see a drop in your insurance cost until you reach 25. :(

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Yep, it's definitely your age. Sorry about that! In two years it'll be different.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
whistle clean said:
Sooooo.....Julie.....You being an "Oldster" and all...LOL

Would you mind telling us what your rates are with AARP? Why am I asking? Well....if 53 makes me an oldster then I should look into it also! :)
They quoted us $455 a year for full coverage on our two bikes, which at the time were a Vulcan 800 and a BMW F650GS. I haven't asked for a new quote since we got our new bikes. That $455 was about 58% lower than we were paying with Liberty Mutual (we insure our house and cars with them).

You can go to the AARP web site and get a quote that way. I just called them. They send you a quote via email right away.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sorry Giska.
Being young is fun, but it costs. 23 is still very young in the eyes of an insurance company. You can first thank the hapless young testosterone-heads who start out on 180-mph beasts like the ZX10R, for making Young Sportbiker such an expensive category to insure.
You can also thank the sly fellows who collect insurance payouts when their bikes are totalled, then buy them back cheap with salvage titles. Insurance companies for some reason are eager to simply write off a bike after a minor accident and these guys eagerly step forward to cash in on it.
Why are the insurance companies apparently so eager to write them off? Perhaps because they don't want to be liable if the bonehead they're insuring later has an accident and attempts to prove that the bike should have been a complete write-off.
You see people unabashedly doing this all the time, and no one criticizes them for it, but even congratulate each other for "finally getting back at these insurance companies." I have no love for insurance companies either, but this is another large reason your insurance costs so much.
And a ZZR isn't a "sport-touring" bike in their eyes at all. That was Kawasaki's 600cc track-weapon only two years ago. Any insurance agent with two IQ points to rub together knows it has a 100hp engine and that it will easily make 160mph and get there about as fast as a Dodge Viper can.

So what can you do? Insure your bikes with the same company you currently insure your car with. If they're too expensive, shop around; BUT make sure you tell each prospective insurer that you're looking for the package deal for your bike and your car(s).
Maybe the ZZR might not be the best choice right now. I rode a pathetic Harley sportster my first 70,000 miles until I was 26, even THAT was pretty expensive to insure. If the ZZR isn't already a done-deal, make a B-list of other bikes that you think you might like and see what your insurance company says about those.
If you can reach the ripe old age of 30 without any major accidents or violations, your rates will drop dramatically. So if you get a citation, do whatever you have to do (traffic school, challenging each ticket in court) to keep it off your public record. When I got my first sportbike and heard what my friends with a few tickets were paying for insurance, I quickly made up my mind that I would rather spend a weekend wearing orange while picking up trash on the side of the highway than let my insurance company find out about one of my BS tickets ( :x like 39 mph in a 35-zone, and two tickets for 6mph over the posted limit. :x )
Good luck.
-CCinC

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Calamarichris said:
If the ZZR isn't already a done-deal, make a B-list of other bikes that you think you might like and see what your insurance company says about those.
I'll probably just end getting liability and paying out the pocket for any damage I incur. I was more worried about theft than anything else, so I'll probably just take some of the money I'll be saving and buy a fancy alarm system.

It's more shock than anything else. The largest portion is the collision/comprehensive, which I always figured was based largely on the value of the insured vehicle, as well as your likelyhood of filing a claim. This bike is almost twice as much to insure as the $30,000 SUV I'm looking at leasing and it carries 1/3 the value. I guess they must figure that I'm 6 times as likely to damage a bike than an SUV. :-|

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
I like progressive. We have two cars, a truck and 2 bikes insured with them. Everything is liability except my Spectre. I am paying $350 a year for both bikes.

Heather

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Man CCinC....You hit it right on the head about the insurance and insurance fraud. I wish you were wrong....but you certainly are right about this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dairyland INS

yagiska, try giving dairyland/sentry insurance a call. i had an '04 1600 classic insured with progressive. full coverage on it was $390 a year. i am 30yrs old and married with a clean record. quite honestly i didn't shop around much at that time. i insure our house and cars with USAA, but they don't care for cycle business anymore. when i got a quote for my new bike, an '05 yamaha fjr1300 sport touring. progressive quoted $1398yr. yeah right... they look at it as a sportbike, not touring. looked around and the folks on the fjr forum all raved about dairyland. called them and got the same full coverage with towing for $440 a yr, and an additional 15% off of that for transfering from another cycle policy. obviously they take into account your riding experience(in years), age, marital status and most of them look at your credit rating. anyway below is the link to dairyland. good luck.

http://www.dairylandinsurance.com/

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Dairyland:

Do they give their customers a glass of milk with each new policy written? :) :) :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
yagiska said:
I'll probably just end getting liability and paying out the pocket for any damage I incur. I was more worried about theft than anything else, so I'll probably just take some of the money I'll be saving and buy a fancy alarm system.

It's more shock than anything else. The largest portion is the collision/comprehensive, which I always figured was based largely on the value of the insured vehicle, as well as your likelyhood of filing a claim. This bike is almost twice as much to insure as the $30,000 SUV I'm looking at leasing and it carries 1/3 the value. I guess they must figure that I'm 6 times as likely to damage a bike than an SUV. :-|
You know, you can get liability and comprehensive, but not get collision. Then you would be covered if it was stolen without having to pay so much money. I did that when I was younger and couldn't afford collision coverage. Heck, I still don't have collision on my bike but that's because I ride an older bike now and don't care.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts