Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to figure out the best route to go for interbike comms. I'm doing a cross-country trip rolling 6 deep. I want to get comms for all of us so we can all talk to eachother without having to be up close and personal.

give me your suggestions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Bluetooth Intercoms are designed for two units, primarily. They can accommodate more, but you have to switch to the other units, and it is not easy to connect to six different devices/units... For your situation, I'd suggest CB's on each bike. Pick a channel, and roll. It will be push-to-talk, but you can communicate with as many 'units' as you want, within range. Portable CB's are available, along with headsets. You will need to do some research on available options, but this is the best way for mass communication between six riders (passengers are on their own, unfortunately). Alternatively, check into GMRS and FRS radios: may be less expensive. Cheers!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
much better. looks like the scala rider G4/pro seems to be the ticket for me. read some other reviews on it and a guy figured out how to link 2 sets (4-way intercom each) which should get my 7 riders no problem. Now, where can I find them used or cheaper so I dont have to drop $1500 on comms??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found another option:

each of us riders has cellphone mounts and 12V cigarette lighter ports to keep our phones charged. with that in mind, We could all get one of these (or something similar) and just stay on a conference call for our ride. I'm fairly confident we all have verizon (m2m is free regardless of time of day) and all of us definitely have smart phones with 3-way calling option.

Thoughts?

Amazon.com: BILT Techno Bluetooth Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet - XL, White: Automotive

Looking To Buy A Bluetooth Motorcycle Helmet? Come on in! | Helmet Advisor

·
Registered
151 Posts
Problem would be loss of service. Even momentary would cause you to drop out of the link.

I've never used the group intercom function on my headset. Hell, I've never even used the intercom other than testing it around the house. Supposedly Shark makes some bluetooth headsets as well. I've heard mixed reviews about them, but don't know what they're capable of. They look to be a little cheaper if you choose to go that route.

Intercom and Headsets - Buy Intercom and Headsets at Best Price

·
2 owners high mileage
156 Posts
You can get UHF licence free walkie talkies at most decent radio stores or off the internet...forget CB frequencies...or ham equipment, use UHF 433 low power ( range up to 2-3 miles) get the ones with VOX and remote mic socket
Vox is voice operated transmit.
By using FM you will hear one operator at a time, even if two way up front are chatting and the biker next to you shouts you have a problem, you will hear him clearly as the stronger ( nearer) signal will override the reception of the weaker ones 100 yards in front. .as FM radios can only listen to one transmission at a time..the strongest one...Mounting is easy, have them clipped to the back of the helmet and use a remote mic inside the helmet. Don't wire up the call button, that would drive you mad and possibly suicidal after a few hours...BRINGG BRINGG !!! at full volume.
As the vox will need setting to the less sensitive setting ( high low) to avoid it transmitting every breath you take, just blow a "PHEUGH" to open the transmission then speak..if something bad happens and someone yells out, you will still hear "ucking hell what was that" you will just miss the first syllable....
these are the best solution and are light, work very well and are legal everywhere... battery can be rechargeable and you can have a 12 charger run from the bike.
I've been in comms a long time and this is the best solution for a pair or group of riders.. even if you fall off the bike you radio will still be with you and able to transmit your cries for help..

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
Scala G9 connects 9 riders and has VOX. I've only connected to 4 riders at one time - haven't tried more. I gave up connecting to more than one person primarily b/c I don't use it enough to remember how to make it all work.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can get UHF licence free walkie talkies at most decent radio stores or off the internet...forget CB frequencies...or ham equipment, use UHF 433 low power ( range up to 2-3 miles) get the ones with VOX and remote mic socket
Vox is voice operated transmit.
By using FM you will hear one operator at a time, even if two way up front are chatting and the biker next to you shouts you have a problem, you will hear him clearly as the stronger ( nearer) signal will override the reception of the weaker ones 100 yards in front. .as FM radios can only listen to one transmission at a time..the strongest one...Mounting is easy, have them clipped to the back of the helmet and use a remote mic inside the helmet. Don't wire up the call button, that would drive you mad and possibly suicidal after a few hours...BRINGG BRINGG !!! at full volume.
As the vox will need setting to the less sensitive setting ( high low) to avoid it transmitting every breath you take, just blow a "PHEUGH" to open the transmission then speak..if something bad happens and someone yells out, you will still hear "ucking hell what was that" you will just miss the first syllable....
these are the best solution and are light, work very well and are legal everywhere... battery can be rechargeable and you can have a 12 charger run from the bike.
I've been in comms a long time and this is the best solution for a pair or group of riders.. even if you fall off the bike you radio will still be with you and able to transmit your cries for help..
Can you provide any links? I'm not quite sure what you are suggesting here.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the helmets came in the mail yesterday. I absolutely love it. We have one rider who bought the full-face version and the rest of us bought the modular version. the speakers are nice and loud, the vox control works well. voice commands and one touch are great additions. I had no issues on the test ride. the voice GPS also worked well and was loud enough even to hear over my V&H pipes. Not a bad investment at all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts