Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2006 Vulcan 500 to buy and wanted to know if anyone on the forum has one and how they like it. How is the performance? Does it require much service? Will it stay up with the bigger bikes on the road? I appreciate any info I can get! Thanks, and Merry Christmas!!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I have an '07 500 and it is the same as the '06. It is a great little bike. Plenty of power 0-60 mph and will cruise 70 mph with no problem. To get power out of it you got to let it rev, but when you do it will hold its own very well with bigger bikes. I'm not a small guy and it still drags me around just fine. Mine gets 55 mpg and that is with a large windshield/fairing on it. I was getting 57 mpg before adding the windshield. I got 4500 miles on mine in 4.5 months with no issues. Handling is great. Low speed parking lot handling is almost bicycle like, and twisties are pure joy. However, hi-speed interstate is not what this bike is meant for and even though it will cruise along easily at 70 mph, I am much happier with the bike on secondary roads running around 60 mph. At 60 the bike is just wonderful. I commute 75 miles roundtrip 3 times a week to work and it handles the traffic easily.

Maintenance is easy, only complaint is no centerstand to use for weekly chain cleaning. Oil and filter changes are a piece of cake. Not much that can go wrong on the bike.

There is not much aftermarket support, but the critical stuff is out there (except for a crash bar and we are suppose to have one available from Scootworks soon). I've added a handle bar riser (Scootworks), Enterprise windshield/fairing (Slipstreamer, had to rig up a fix for the fork mounts), heated grips (JP Cycles), passenger backrest (Ebay), and a few other shiny things.

In case I haven't made myself clear, I love this thing. It is a great backroads rider and daily commuter and a near perfect first bike.

Almost forgot, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike

Thanks for your input. That's what I wanted to hear!! We have a 1500 and an 800 already and love them. I just wanted to know if I would enjoy the 500 too. Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Ditto what Mike said. I ride my 2006 Vulcan 500 mainly on backroads and highways (not interstates). It has plenty of power, but it feels a little small when out on the interstate. Only problem I've had was a loose battery connection. I have about 4500 miles on mine since last May. I've added saddlebags, the small Kawi windshield, memory foam to the stock seat (now I can ride forever on it with no discomfort) and I have the KURYAKYN iso-grips to install this week. I hear great things about these grips. Wouldn't mind having a tach. I read somewhere that it redlines around 9,000 rpm.

I also love the red color on the 2006 model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts