Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
So I should wear clothes and paint my bike and helmet various shades of red yellow and green since drivers are looking out for traffic signals?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Supposedly it was something small off to one side. I still don't see it. If you're attention is supposed to be that focused we'd all be off the road in no time due to target fixation. I wonder if the person that did the test was a rider or not.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
I had to play it at least 4 times before I saw the change. The stupid sign in the upper right corner. I tend to agree with some of the posts...its HARDLY a significant detail.

There was another comment made that I think is the truth...people tend to think "road = look for 4 wheel vehicles" and they tend to look right through cyclists.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I had to play it at least 4 times before I saw the change. The stupid sign in the upper right corner. I tend to agree with some of the posts...its HARDLY a significant detail.
Okay...

movie 1

Count the number of times that the WHITE team passes the basketball and report back.

·
Unyayo (lone rider)
28 Posts
I counted 16. There was what looked like a quick exchange about the middle of the show that looked like it went from girl to guy with back to the camera.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I always hate those tests. By telling you to watch for something, you're automatically watching for something.

What really matters is what you see when you aren't really looking, since that's how most people drive.

It's easy to divert someone's attention from one thing to another - that's how magic tricks work. For example, you can tell someone to watch video and count the number of street signs they see. At the end, though, if you ask them about the kid that ran in front of them to retrieve a ball, most won't have even seen him.

Honestly, the first video amounts to asking a guy driving down the street to notice a bird flying overhead. It's irrelevant information and the brain is going to dismiss it - like the number on the wall. Your mind already noticed the other number and the shop. Theoretically, if that's the place you're looking for, you don't need the other number: you know where you are.

I think the first test cited with the colors is much more valid, since it studies how we observe or ignore information based on normal expectations.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I counted 16. There was what looked like a quick exchange about the middle of the show that looked like it went from girl to guy with back to the camera.
Now go back and watch it again without counting anything and see what "significant detail" you missed. ;)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I always hate those tests. By telling you to watch for something, you're automatically watching for something.

What really matters is what you see when you aren't really looking, since that's how most people drive.
The point being, cagers aren't looking for bikes. We're aware, and we'll notice bikes (and bicycles) far sooner than a cager.

We're taught in driver's ed to "expect the unexpected"... but nobody knows what the unexpected looks like... so nearly every time a cyclist is hit, it's always "I didn't see him" or "He came out of nowhere"

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
hmm i counted 13 AND seen the bear...

I must be super aware :D

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
I have seen the basketball video before.

I think as riders we are well aware that it is up to us to watch out for the cagers, because they are not looking out for us. But when approaching an intersection, the signs above the doors are likely the last thing Im looking out for!

And like most, as a rider I have developed an extra sense when driving a car. I tend to look for bikes THEN look for cars, and remind my wife to do the same (much to her annoyance!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts