Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mule 1000 and am getting a warning buzzer at various times. Nothing consistant. It is intermittant and very brief. I disconnected the speedometer cable, started the mule and still get it only more pronounced. Can you eleminate the speed sensor by opening the Light Green wire. I have checked for continuity in the ground side of the connector for the speedometer and it is good. I also have about 6V on the light green wire coming from the igniter with the sw on and the motor not running. When the buzzer sounds I loose this voltage. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Repaired the wiring and still have the intermittant warning buzzer and accompanying engine miss.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Was your speedometer dropping off when the buzzer warning was going off or was the buzzer going off and the speedometer still working like it was supposed to?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was still registering the correct speed but at different speeds thoughtout the range of the speedometer the buzzer would sound and when it did the motor would cut out. Buzzer stopped and the motor would pickup right where it left off. If I was accelerating it would continue to accelerate untill the next alarm at which time the motor would again shut off and restart as soon as the buzzer quit.

·
Registered
628 Posts
But if the speed sensor is what the speedometer is using to display speed and that was causing the engine to cut out, how come it wasn't affecting the indicated speed?

It seems to me that if it tripped the warning light, it would stop registering the correct speed on the speedometer. Unless the speedometer is mechanical (so it would continue to indicate the proper speed) with an electrical pickup only used by the ignition system. Failing speed sensor would throw the electronics into a tail-spin without the speedometer showing it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the mule 1000 the speedometer is strictly mechanical and the speed sensor is shown as a switch. According to the manual, it is supposed to read continuity 4 times with one revolution of the speedometer cable. I am not sure but I think what happens is that switch will stay open (centrifical force) when the speed approches 25 mph. When that happens the ignitor looses it's ground that it senses with the four closed conditions per revolution and then a ground is applied to the buzzer circuit causing it to sound. It ( the buzzer will also sound if a solid ground is applied to the Light green wire (jump out the sw.) but the ignitor will funtion properly and the motor will run fine but not be limited on speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts