Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 1000 Mule that I am in the process of restoring for regular farm use.

Just got the starter rebuilt and a new electric fuel pump, in addition to replacing a bad carb diaphragm. Before, (and since), this work, I keep losing a cylinder. I also replaced the spark plugs. Often by playing with the choke I can get it to fire back up and it runs fine, for a while, then I lose it again. I had hoped the bad diphragm might have been the problem. It seems to be doing this more frequently than before the recent repairs.

I don't think it's a fuel issue, but not sure about fire/spark. I have not been able to tell which cylinder is the culprit, or if it is even the same one each time.

Has anyone run across this kind of problem and what did you find to cure it ??

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
What are the conditions of the plugs? If the cylinder that fails to fire changes from one cylinder to the other, that indicates an ignition problem. You can determine which cylinder is not firing by touching the exhaust pipes immeaditely after start up to determine which pipe is cool and which pipe is hot. Once you establish which cylinder is not firing, install a new plug and begin the trouble shooting procedures. It sounds like you have a fouled plug.

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I use a spray bottle of water to determine which cylinder is or isn't firing(no burns this way) If the mule has sparkplug caps, they might need replacing.

The Kawasaki street bikes(at least some of them before stick coils) had RFI resistors in them limiting radio and TV interference. They will go bad over time due to heat and vibration.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've had the wire get loose in the caps before and rust on the screw that the cap has, nipped 1/2 inch of wire off and cleaned the screw. Only missed after it was running for awhile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts