Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the show in Cleveland. I guess I was a little disappointed. The main manufacturers were there and a few of the dealers from around the area. There were some parts displays, but no one you could talk with about them. I would say to not bother.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey AJay:
I went to the show in the Javitts Center in Manhattan last Friday. I too was dissapointed. It was more like a flea market with silver jewelery, eyeglass cleaning solutions, sneakers for sale, sneakers??? more food and beer carts than bike tents. Oh, and Truck dealers, GM AND CHRYSLER. Its a bike show. Lots of aftermarket companies but no one to talk to and nothing but three year old advertisement circulars to read from. Lots of bikes but the people watching them didnt know anything about them or just didnt want to talk to anyone. I did, however find what I was looking for. Ive always wanted an Arai Helmet for me and the wife but didnt want to buy from an Arai local vender because they are only bike dealerships and I wanted the helmet for a perfect fit. I was able to speak to a representative from the company that knew what he was talking about and he sent me over to the vender table where I and the wife were professionally fitted and purchased one for me and one for the wife. Yes, they were expensive but now the wife wont get helmet head any more and tell me to stop every 20 minuets so she can take her helmet off for a while. I learned a lot about fitting a helmet to your head, not only size but shape as well. what a difference.

·
Registered
327 Posts
KnightRider, I've seen some specials on Two Wheel Tuesday and some magazine articles about helmet fitting, but I'd love to here some input from us regular guys instead of the experts. I've found that most of the dealerships around me don't even have a proper measuring device and they've tried to estimate by grabbing a tape from the service garage.

Share some of your new-found knowledge! I know I'd be interested to hear it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
They measured our heads with a tape mesure and took the measurement from the largest part of your head circumferance around the forehead and back of the head. That gave him the size to start with. Then he looked at our heads for shape and decided on a certain model for its shape. Some are round, others are oval, some models wider. We needed oval. He then got the size and shape for each of us and we tried them on. They fit great except for the cheeks. They were very tight. He said that we should be able to open our mouths and bite down without biting our cheeks. We couldnt. He said that your cheeks should just miss getting caught between your teeth when you slowly close your mouth. He then fitted us for the cheek pads. they come in millemeter thicknesses and are removeable. I ended up with a "large" helmet and 25 mm cheek pads. The wife ended with a "small" size helmet with 35 mm pads. He also told us to take into account that the padding within the helmet will break in and loosen up after about 15 hours of wearing time. The helmet should be felt to embrace your entire head evenly without any pressure points. It should be snug enough to NOT slip off your head if you grabbed it from the lower back of the helmet and tryed pull it up and off. In the Arai helmets the padding comes out and can be washed. Also, he told us to not put the helmet on or over the sissy bar for storage as this will distort the padding in the helmet. Lots of stuff i never realized. Honestly, I can never wear my old helmet again after wearing this one. What a difference. The wife used to wear a Shoei Z1R. A very expensive helmet, but it didnt fit right and the shape was not for her head. It used to bite into the front- top of her forehead. That helmet was fitted at the dealership where I bought the bike. Not a good fit. Now its junk. She loves her new helmet and so do I. They cost me $370 apiece. "Well worth the money. Hey, you only get one head. And Arai is rated at 10 times the snell rating. No matter what helmet you choose, get it fitted properly or its useless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts