Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a total newb when it comes to bikes but I just "aquired" a beat up 1989 Kawasaki EX500 that I am going to resurrect from the dead. Was looking for forums that I could find help and advice on. The bike is in shambles right now, waiting on a Service Manual and a carb tune up kit, that will be where I start. I need to know how to hotwire the thing since the last owner lost the keys, think I'll just use a hidden switch with a locking key to start it like I help someone do with their VW bug once :)

Frame looks like its still in good shape, odometer reads 8740 miles on it, I am not planning on keeping any of the existing body, most of it is beat up...internals look alright, guy who had it plugged a hose for some reason, have to figure out where all the hoses go since he removed the gas tank, also can't find the petcock on the gas tank, he gave me a few boxes of crap that I have to sort through.

http://68.229.118.161:8547/10152004.wmv <~ clip of the bike...

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Cool...Welcome!! :wink:

To help you find answers to what your looking for on this forum, go to the toolbar (at top of forum page) "SEARCH" put in key words and it will direct you to which Post/Thread to look at.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
tire sizes

curious about the stock tire sizes...tell me what it has???

·
Registered
184 Posts
Keyless switch.

I would suggest a litlle caution in rewiring if you are not completely familiar with that sort of work. Generally the ignition switch unit can be easily removed by loosening several screws and disconnectining several wires. I am not familiar with your model but the older ons can be done this way. Take it a locksmith and he will make a new key in about five minutes for about 13.00 If you can not remove it most locksmiths will make curb calls for about 20.00

1 - 5 of 5 Posts