Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets do it.

Ok, I am 32, I am an owner of a 1989 American ZZR600.

Not the first kwak, and not the quickest, and definitely the most uncomfortable thing I have ever ridden, but still fun!

This is my 5th kwak to date. The first being a GT750, then a Z750 then a GPz750 Turbo, then the Z750 with the GPz Engine and NOS, then a GT550, and now this, with a few others thrown in between.

The best of those, would be a toss-up between the two GTs to be honest, and not the ZZR at all!

Having just come from a GoldWing GL1200 both my wife and I am seriously regretting buying this, but at least it also means that she cannot send me to the shops to do the weekly shopping anymore.

Furthest I have managed to ride on the ZZR so far, is a measily 80 miles, however, the fuel consumption is a hell of a lot better than it should be, giving me roughly 65 miles to a gallon when I take it slow, and still over 50 when giving it a fistfull! - Thats seriously out of it as far as I am concerned, so better than the GoldWing there!

My No.1 bike has to have been the Guzzi Cali 3... I am seriously wanting to rid myself of this, and my GS850 and get myself a cronky Guzzi. Because I know what I like, and me... I am a Guzzi fan.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just turned 27, owner of a 01 blue zx6r.
1st bike was a 92-93 ninja 250. GAVE that to a dear friend of mine while in California and bought a brand new left over 96 zx6r in 97. Rode and raced at Sac raceway that until June 97, drove that from Cali to MN. Put 15,000 miles on that bike in the 1st 6 months. Crashed it in Nov. in MN. Totaled it. Never been on one since until 2 months ago.

Always been a Ninja fan, will never cross over to the dark side.. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always been a Ninja fan?

So, have you not tried any other bike?

I have had, in my life, somehting in the region of 20 or so motorbikes.

I am only 32

I beleive, that you should never judge a bike, until you have actually owned one for some time, however, I also know, that when you have owned as many bikes as I have, that as soon as you get on a bike, you will know if you like it or not too!

Annoyingly, my No.1 bike, was my Guzzi California 3.

I did 136,000 miles on that, and in all that time, the only thing that broke on me was the throttle cable... Now come on, name me just one bike that will do that?

I have its entire history logged down in my docs, and the work done to it was all the basic service bits such as spark plugs, oil changes and so on. Only once at 48KMiles, did I need the tappet clearance doing ( They are buckets & Shims actually ).

I sold the Guzzi to get myself a Z750 and that was a Massive mistake, as that kwak is now dead, and I see the Guzzi still going around. I have talked to the owner, and the last time I saw him ( about Nov last year ) it was at 260,000 Miles! - ( thats a quarter of a million by the way ) and its running strong as the day he got it!

So, a Guzzi is a defninte.

Another good runner, is an MZ, if you look after them, they run forever cos they are so basic.

Kawasakis I find, have very weak top ends.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hiya all
David here, in UK.
Mid 40s
Now run GPx600R (ZX600R C3 in US), had it for 3 years, currently planning to change it next month or two for either ZZR600 or Suzuki SV650.... (I know...). can't make my mind up.
I do about 12,000 miles per year, commuting every day, plus an annual trip to Italy.
Previous bikes were, in backwards order... GPz750A2 (owned 1987 to 1990)
tricked up and tuned Yamaha RD400E (1984 to 1986, while in Hong Kong - great bike for there)
BMW R100RS (1981 to 1984)
Honda 550F2 (1978 to 1981)
Kawasaki KH400, expansions, rear sets, about 20 miles to teh gallon and a fun, lunatic ride (1978 to 1980 - second bike)
Drove a variety of bikes while despatch riding in London 1977 to 1980, including awful Suzuki GT250s
Learnt on a Honda SS125 (pre CG) 1975-1977 (god, a long long time ago!)

so anyone got any comments on teh ZZR and teh SV650S?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the SV... Killer torque, so sounds a real bike.

I am still waiting for my mate, who is supposed to be going out for a ride with me, and I will be on his, while he thrashes past me, on mine, cos I recon its sounds like a bloody sewing machine, but he says it sounds brilliant when you open it up.

I like the roar of bikes, but for me,, the ZZR does not do it, while the SV certainly does... Or at least the ones I see locally do anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts