Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Some good feedback here.
I read also at some blogs, that the chrome of Intruders isn't the best quality.
For the small gastank, a bigger 1400 gastank will fit on a the 800 withouth any issues..
I can say thus far with the wife's '96, the chrome is still in excellent condition.

·
Crazy as a sh!thouse rat.
2,867 Posts
Some good feedback here.
I read also at some blogs, that the chrome of Intruders isn't the best quality.
For the small gastank, a bigger 1400 gastank will fit on a the 800 withouth any issues..
I can vouch for the chrome not being the best. My 1400 was starting to lose some from the trees and head covers by the time it was 6-7 years old.

If fuel renge is a persistent issue, I'd consider MSR bottles or a red plastic can on the tail rack before I'd consider a 1400/S83 tank. The 1400 tanks are pricey used, and over the moon new. And they only hold 3.4 gallkons, .2 gallon more.

Another option would be an auxilliary fuel cell, plumbed into the system. Cheaper than a 1400 tank, removeable at will, and available in a range of sizes. This is (was) my 1400, sporting a 4-gallon Tour Tank:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm 165 wife is 140. I enjoy my C50 but wanted something with a little more get up and go. Wife has a 01 VS800 with exhaust and jets THAT's it. I buy a NEW 05 M95 (meanie) in July of 2010 464 miles on the bike. Long story short we go to our little drag way and she eats me by 12 ft in the 1/4. 805cc vs 1600cc OUCH... Yeah Intruders will scoot.

P.S. 50 miles to a gal with the Intruder but max speed is about 110 so on the top end I blew right by her like she was sitting still.

·
Extreme Gizmologist
2,347 Posts
I don't think I would ever, *ever*, push my Intruder past about 70. By that time the engine is screaming in agony. No, if I want to push it up to 90-100, definitely want my Mean Streak. Also, folks complain about Vulcan stock seats. Let me tell you, that after about 50 miles on my Intruder, the bike kicks me off the seat because it knows I'm in agony. Fun around town, tough for me to want to attempt any distance.

At 6'2", 300+, I probably look like a bear on a minibike when I ride my 1993 Intruder 800, but it's fun.

What makes the older Intruders fun is knowing that they cost so little. I don't think I'd really consider a 2000+ model unless it came cheap. My '93 was $1400 2 years ago with 7K miles on it. Cleaned up real nice. Probably could buy it today for $800.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You're right about not costing much. Been seeing qiute a bit lately for next to nothing. Just gotta find the time to go out and check them out.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts