Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found an article that was posted on another forum a while back and found it quite interesting.

"Get Horizontal"

It makes full sense actually and scientifically is backed. In veterinary school in one of my classes we actually watched a video regarding a science experience a bit back where they explored this concept. Simply put, they took some kittens and only exposed them to horizontal or vertical lines. As they got older that's all their brain was able to see. If they saw horizontal lines when they were young the vertical lines were invisible to them when they were older because their brain learned to not see them basically. So what they are saying about blocking out vertical lines in the article actually makes a lot of sense as your vision is interpreted in some degree at least as horizontal and vertical lines.

·
Proud Hokie!!
564 Posts
Makes sense to me. Anything that increases your "footprint" is bound to help - and your horizontal presence makes you more of a threat and thus more noticeable.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I have unfortunatly come to the conclusion, that we are not seen becuase for the most part we don't matter. I refuse to leave my continued existance up to the possibility that the fools driving automobiles may or may not see me, or even acknowledge my existance.

I will always ride like I am invisible, and do my best to ride in a manner that keeps me prepared for anything that may happen around me.

In my years of riding, I've been cut off by drivers who were ignorant to my position as well as being forced out of my lane and off the road by drivers who knew very well where I was, and made the decision to borrow my piece of pavement anyways.

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
While there are a lot of circumstances where a MC could be blocked from being seen - IE light pole, cages A pillar, etc. - I think it has more to do with people's lack of attention. I have people do the same crap to me when I'm in my truck that they do when on the bike, so where's the explanation for how someone "didn't see" a 7 foot tall, 12 foot long, 6 foot wide vehicle that is painted bright red? Or the fire trucks that are significanlty bigger, have broight flashing lights all over, and even a loud honking siren? Show me the study that explains that and I might buy in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
While there are a lot of circumstances where a MC could be blocked from being seen - IE light pole, cages A pillar, etc. - I think it has more to do with people's lack of attention. I have people do the same crap to me when I'm in my truck that they do when on the bike, so where's the explanation for how someone "didn't see" a 7 foot tall, 12 foot long, 6 foot wide vehicle that is painted bright red? Or the fire trucks that are significanlty bigger, have broight flashing lights all over, and even a loud honking siren? Show me the study that explains that and I might buy in.
No, it's not about a light pole blocking visibility of the bike at all. It is about how the mind interprets and processes information. As it said in the article the mind is more about disregarding information then it is taking information in. In that, the bike is more of the vertical lines (like light poles, etc) that are non threatening and thus disregarded. The bigger vehicles are more of the horizontal lines and the mind has learned to see them as a threat.

That being said, it is definitely NOT the only reason why it happens. Peoples lack of attention most definitely plays a big roll. I am not denying that at all, nor do I think this article is. It is just showing that some of the problems may be caused by this other process and people MAY not always be lying about not seeing you.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think driver inattention is a problem no matter what you drive or ride. I have people pull out in front of me whether I am in a car, truck or bike. I have been rear ended 4 times, twice in cars and twice in pickups. So I don't think it has much to do with horizontal vs vertical, I think it has more to do with cell phones, make up, newspapers, radio, iPod, fast food, etc.

As a semi-funny story, the first time I was rear ended I was 17. I stopped to make a left turn and was hit by a guy who only skidded 3 feet before hitting me. He was watching the first pretty girl in a pair of shorts in the spring. Sad thing is, I was making that left turn to get a better look myself. :lol: It is kind of funny now as my brother and I only had a mild case of whiplash. :biggrin:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I took a safety course awhile back and the instructor had us do an exercise where we held up one finger and then looked across the room at 1 other student. At 50 feet away, my finger completely blocked my view of that person. Try it the next time you see a rider. Its really quite startling to think that we are that invisible. On the other hand, I came to a stop at a red light 2 weeks ago while turning right and was rear ended buy a mini van. The guy got out of the van and told me that he didn't expect me to stop. His words were ( WTF are you doing? No one stops at a red light when turning right! ) He honestly thought I was in the wrong until a witness told him otherwise. There are as many reasons as people in this world for why we get hit.
I ride like I'm invisible but I still could'nt have stopped that one from happenning.
I think people just get complacent and quite honestly I think alot just don't care.

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
I just found an article that was posted on another forum a while back and found it quite interesting.

"Get Horizontal"

It makes full sense actually and scientifically is backed. In veterinary school in one of my classes we actually watched a video regarding a science experience a bit back where they explored this concept. Simply put, they took some kittens and only exposed them to horizontal or vertical lines. As they got older that's all their brain was able to see. If they saw horizontal lines when they were young the vertical lines were invisible to them when they were older because their brain learned to not see them basically. So what they are saying about blocking out vertical lines in the article actually makes a lot of sense as your vision is interpreted in some degree at least as horizontal and vertical lines.
More than anything this is just trying to say that our minds are programed to see what they want to see.
Here is a great example of how this works. Click on the link below and the count how many times the basketball is passed. See if anyone can get it right.

movie 1

·
Step up or step aside
180 Posts
Thanks Pawky, even though the article was over 10 years old, it's still revelant, and unfortunately, always will be. I'm buying a light bar today. Every little bit helps.

And I agree with Trikebubble too, I ride as if I'm invisible and that car/truck is going to cut me off.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Something that helps with horizontal visibility is to alter position sideways (and back if necessary) on the approach to a junction. Because you are moving laterally, cagers are more likely to notice that motion, rather than your mere presence.

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
More than anything this is just trying to say that our minds are programed to see what they want to see.
Here is a great example of how this works. Click on the link below and the count how many times the basketball is passed. See if anyone can get it right.

movie 1
23?

Love that gorilla...

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
I took a safety course awhile back and the instructor had us do an exercise where we held up one finger and then looked across the room at 1 other student. At 50 feet away, my finger completely blocked my view of that person. Try it the next time you see a rider. Its really quite startling to think that we are that invisible. On the other hand, I came to a stop at a red light 2 weeks ago while turning right and was rear ended buy a mini van. The guy got out of the van and told me that he didn't expect me to stop. His words were ( WTF are you doing? No one stops at a red light when turning right! ) He honestly thought I was in the wrong until a witness told him otherwise. There are as many reasons as people in this world for why we get hit.
I ride like I'm invisible but I still could'nt have stopped that one from happenning.
I think people just get complacent and quite honestly I think alot just don't care.
justification to shoot in Texas

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.