Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. the Iron Butt is completed and all thats left is the paperwork. My brother and I left Thursday @12:02 AM headed for I-95. We headed south to Jacksonvillewhere we picked up I-10w, across to I-75s to Tampa.Let me say at this point that even with experience on my side I failed to adequately prepare for a cold FOGGY Fla. morning . We reached Tampa @ 10:00 AM and took I-4E thru Orlando to Daytona Beach where we stopped for lunch (food is a vital part of riding for old guys) and gassed up. After the rest it was back to I-95 and headed home. We arrived back in Lexington around 7:00PM . After a good meal and some time with the wife and grand baby I had the best nights sleep I've had in a long time.
As for the Connie, it was flawless. It rode and handled the stress of open road as well as the Wing. There are things about the Wing I missed but the stereo and cruise control can be adapted and overcome. There were very few places the power was needed but when it was it never failed. All around a great ride I wouldn't be hesitant to take this bike anywhere.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
Excellent post, Sabre. Congrats on the ride.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
The motorcyclists version of Buns of Steel.

Congratulations! :D

·
Super Moderator
10,838 Posts
The motorcyclists version of Buns of Steel.

Congratulations! :D
What he's really saying is "let's see some of that iron butt!" :lol: :lol:

·
Solar Panel Charged
614 Posts
Congratulations on your accomplishment. My stepdaughter and I did one Jun 8 of this year and I am still waiting on our certificates. Be patient. :D

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Hmmm....interesting to know that. I've been thinking about doing it again.

What was your reasoning for starting at midnight? When I did mine, I left about 4 AM and got back about 1 AM the following morning. I figured I could get some sleep the night before, and then not have to ride all the following night, and thereby not be as sleepy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thought was to not ride into the second night any more thanwe had to.we got most of the distance in during daylight hours and missed peak traffic hours in all major cities.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Congratulations! No way I could do one. 600 miles in one day is WAY more than enough for me!

·
Solar Panel Charged
614 Posts
If any of you guys in the south east plan an Iron Butt run let me know I'll do it again, and again, and again. Love it. I'll ride at least part of the way with you and complete another for myself. :)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Congrats on the rides folks. My buddy and I finished ours in July. I just received my paperwork a couple of weeks ago. TVoyager is right, be patient.

We are planning on a spring 1500/24 run..... :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those interested I haven't seen a firm date yet but the MTF is sponsering a 50CC in March . One reason I did the IB was to get my brother certified in time for the"coast to coast". I have been trying to find a co-rider(AKA NUT) to go along for 5 years and I think it may happen this spring. Hawk

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
For those interested I haven't seen a firm date yet but the MTF is sponsering a 50CC in March . One reason I did the IB was to get my brother certified in time for the"coast to coast". I have been trying to find a co-rider(AKA NUT) to go along for 5 years and I think it may happen this spring. Hawk

Good luck Hawk. I'd say have fun, but for some reason, I don't think it would fit.

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
Congradulations! No small accomplishment!

My son and I have been talking about attempting an Iron Butt ride, but so far that's all it has amounted to. I'm impressed an encouraged to read how many others on the forum have done it!

I was curious about your departure time myself, but Dave beat me to the punch, your reasoning makes sense. In our 'planning' we had sorta figured on leaving just after daybreak. See I don't do sunrises too well, so I figured on staying as far away from one as I could. :lol:

As the subject has been brought up and I've confessed to having no experiance with the IBA can I ask someone to explain to me how the IB rally's work? I see on the IBA homepage that there is a rally coming up on the NC coast and I read the 'rules' but I gotta admit I'm totally confused. Is there a simple wasy to explain how points are awarded, yada yada?

Bruce

1 - 20 of 32 Posts