Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
+2 Ring of Invisibility
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the route planned for my iron butt ride. just need to find a friend (sucker) or two that think they wanna do it too. Rapid city, SD to Austin, MN and back. 1066 miles 24 hours. $100 for gas. $70 for a room for one night. (6 to 9 hours for sleep) $45 for verification, certificate and a pin.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Best of luck JoeShorts

Four of us tried to do one of these in 2008, far South-West of Wales, through the Channel-Tunnel then on down to the South of Spain (Malaga).

We made 1011 road miles in 23 hours but 'cos of a 2-hour delay in the Chunnel that were actually 25 hours, no good :cry:

The planner estimated Malaga would be a touch over 1500 miles which we intended to do in 36 hours, we failed at 1221 miles due to one or other of us falling asleep at 80-odd MPH on French and Spanish Motorways. We'd managed 2 1/2 hours kip the night before the ride due to ripping one of the bikes to bits to make it right for the trip.

We made Malaga the next day, it were 1860 miles, we'd never have made it, idiots :biggrin:

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
Have the route planned for my iron butt ride. just need to find a friend (sucker) or two that think they wanna do it too. Rapid city, SD to Austin, MN and back. 1066 miles 24 hours. $100 for gas. $70 for a room for one night. (6 to 9 hours for sleep) $45 for verification, certificate and a pin.
If you are starting and ending in Rapid City, what do you need a room for? You do not have time to stop to rest and still make the 1000 in 24 hours.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
If you are starting and ending in Rapid City, what do you need a room for? You do not have time to stop to rest and still make the 1000 in 24 hours.
You can do that easily in a lot less time than 24 hours. Leave around 3am, do your dark time riding while you are fresh and extra keyed up. Go to your turn around point, and very importantly, document this point with at least 2 receipts, one for gas and one for a meal0 just in case. Return to start point, all done before supper time that afternoon.
I left Lexington Ky around 4am, had my first 1100 in before 8pm. Finished my trip in 32hours, with 5 in a motel in Wyoming. 1735 in 32 hours, 5 hours siesta included.

·
+2 Ring of Invisibility
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually i do. interstate from rapid to sioux falls is all 75 mph speed limit, with no cops even glancing yur way at 80mph. mn is the unknown for me but even with stops if i average 75 with 15 minute breaks every hour the average speed is 60mph. 533 miles/60 is 8.8 hours leaving 6 hours leeway more if i keep my breaks/gas fills down. the only other option on this is to do 75% up front and take the nap at a friends house in mitchell SD.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
i'd personally recommend doing it in one go.
You never know what issues you might come across, like a flat tyre or similar issue.

It's very possible to do it all in one go, and it would seem a little silly to spend $70 for a few hours sleep which you won't really need if you take regular 5-7min rest stops, and then potentially jeapordise the whole trip if one of you gets a flat or has engine issues.

I did Land's End to John O'Groats last year in 23 hours 50 minutes. It was supposed to take 19 hours, but we got caught up in a whole butt-load of traffic due to some impromptu road-works, which really slowed us down and nearly spoiled the whole trip.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can do that easily in a lot less time than 24 hours. Leave around 3am, do your dark time riding while you are fresh and extra keyed up. Go to your turn around point, and very importantly, document this point with at least 2 receipts, one for gas and one for a meal0 just in case. Return to start point, all done before supper time that afternoon.
I left Lexington Ky around 4am, had my first 1100 in before 8pm. Finished my trip in 32hours, with 5 in a motel in Wyoming. 1735 in 32 hours, 5 hours siesta included.
^^^^^^^
I totally agree with this strategy.

BTW: I'll ride with you - but can you just drop down thru Bama and pick me up on your way thru here? LOL :mrgreen: Just kidding. I want to do this, but the ol' cronies I ride with won't get off the couch long enough. :)

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
I'm dreamin' right along with you :-D .
Really? Serious?
I am riding to Charlotte to join some members of the VRA, we then are going to Crestview Fla, they will return to Charlotte, ending with about 1100 mile, I will head back to Ky from Crestview, giving me a total of 1655.
Want to go?

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Really? Serious?
I am riding to Charlotte to join some members of the VRA, we then are going to Crestview Fla, they will return to Charlotte, ending with about 1100 mile, I will head back to Ky from Crestview, giving me a total of 1655.
Want to go?
Do I want to go? Oh h3ll yeah!! Will I be able to go? Prolly not. When?

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
I'm leaving Ky on May 7, Friday eve to meet with the guys in Charlotte around 4am on Saturday May 8. They expect to be back by midnight Saturday.
Wow! That's ambitious plans. Hope everyone has a safe and uneventful trip.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I want to do an IB sometime. Prob next summer, but when I do I plan on going 500 out and back ending in the same place. We should get together sometime for a ride around the hills I'm always looking for new people to ride with.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've wanted to do an IBR myself, but my concern is more my back than my butt at this point. Will have to see about maybe doing it this year. From where I live in Lancaster, PA, there's a route that would be a straight shot going west and eat lunch in Hell, MI and back home. Would be just over 1,000 miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts