Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Drink Plenty of Water
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has ridden ironbutt rides and what suggestions do you have for me? Me and a bud are going for 1000 miles in 24 hours. Route is about 90% interstate.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Interstate makes it easier by far. Plan to stop every 2 hours at least. Stay hydrated. Have a Mustang seat...LOL Enjoy the ride. It will go by fast believe it or not.

The way I did it was get up early and start the ride completely fresh. I stopped for gas about every 130 to 150 miles and a short break. took 2 half hour meal breaks. Made it in about 17 hours.

Oh and the most important thing. Document everything. Don't forget the reciepts.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
I'm going on one this Monday. Thanks for asking the same question I was about to ask. :)

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
What did you pack with you?

Normal riding stuff (helmet, chaps, wallet, cell phone)
Tool kit
First aid kit
Rain gear
Warm clothing (if you live where it can still get cold)
Extra water bottles
?
?
?
?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
What did you pack with you?

Normal riding stuff (helmet, chaps, wallet, cell phone)
Tool kit
First aid kit
Rain gear
Warm clothing (if you live where it can still get cold)
Extra water bottles
?
?
?
?
Those are all good items. Sunscreen would be a good one as well. If you get a sunburn during the day, it will only seem that much colder when the sun goes down.

With the SS1000 ride, you can leave on any day / time you feel you need to to avoid bad weather and such. It is hard to make good time in a monsoon.

One thing I found out (the hard way) is to let your credit card company know what your doing. Call their 800 customer service number before you leave and tell them where they can expect charges from so they do not put a freeze on your credit card with many charges in several places. The card company put a hold on my card on one of my rides and I was not even 1/3 of the way through it. I was so glad I also took some cash with me because when the ride was over, I had $6 in my wallet. :shock: The next ride I did I called them and presto, no freezes. Happiness.... ;)

For me, switching feet positions helped out massively. For my two BBG's, I would switch my feet from the highway pegs to the floorboards to the passenger floorboards. This shifts the focal point on your backside enough to help circulation. Might look kind of weird with your feet on the passenger pegs / floorboards, but I was not out there competing in a fashion show.

Make sure your route is longer than 1000 miles in case your guess is wrong. Map it out on Map Quest before you leave to insure it is. How sucky would it be to only have ridden 950 miles????

To aide the good folks at the IBA, when I get home I print out the maps between each of my gas stops (most of the time the address of the station is on the receipt) using Map Quest. The people who check your ride are volunteers, if you put yourself in their position, how nice and quick would it be if you opened up a ride package and there was every stop, in order, with mileage already printed? Sure it will cost you some extra time, ink, and stamps, but you will know your exact distance before your ride pack every leaves your fingers.

Keep good records and receipts.

Good luck!

:newyear:

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
One thing I found out (the hard way) is to let your credit card company know what your doing.

The card company put a hold on my card on one of my rides and I was not even 1/3 of the way through it.
Yeah. Forgot. That happened to me too, but luckily I had a back up.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Yeah. Forgot. That happened to me too, but luckily I had a back up.
Nice! :D

Wish I did.. I started getting nervous... Do I have enough to get through it???? lol..

How you been Pat? Good I hope. Havent talked to you in a while. Are you and Mike still heading out west? Don't think I can make that one, although I would have loved to!!!

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Nice! :D

Wish I did.. I started getting nervous... Do I have enough to get through it???? lol..

How you been Pat? Good I hope. Havent talked to you in a while. Are you and Mike still heading out west? Don't think I can make that one, although I would have loved to!!!
I am still planning on it. I have a few reservations made. I should be at work today, but no one to wach the kid so I have to burn a day of vacation.

I have been good how about you?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I am still planning on it. I have a few reservations made. I should be at work today, but no one to wach the kid so I have to burn a day of vacation.

I have been good how about you?
Nice! That would be a great ride out there for sure.

I am doing good. Work / eat / sleep / bills cycle...

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Those are all good items. Sunscreen would be a good one as well. If you get a sunburn during the day, it will only seem that much colder when the sun goes down.

With the SS1000 ride, you can leave on any day / time you feel you need to to avoid bad weather and such. It is hard to make good time in a monsoon.

One thing I found out (the hard way) is to let your credit card company know what your doing. Call their 800 customer service number before you leave and tell them where they can expect charges from so they do not put a freeze on your credit card with many charges in several places. The card company put a hold on my card on one of my rides and I was not even 1/3 of the way through it. I was so glad I also took some cash with me because when the ride was over, I had $6 in my wallet. :shock: The next ride I did I called them and presto, no freezes. Happiness.... ;)

For me, switching feet positions helped out massively. For my two BBG's, I would switch my feet from the highway pegs to the floorboards to the passenger floorboards. This shifts the focal point on your backside enough to help circulation. Might look kind of weird with your feet on the passenger pegs / floorboards, but I was not out there competing in a fashion show.

Make sure your route is longer than 1000 miles in case your guess is wrong. Map it out on Map Quest before you leave to insure it is. How sucky would it be to only have ridden 950 miles????

To aide the good folks at the IBA, when I get home I print out the maps between each of my gas stops (most of the time the address of the station is on the receipt) using Map Quest. The people who check your ride are volunteers, if you put yourself in their position, how nice and quick would it be if you opened up a ride package and there was every stop, in order, with mileage already printed? Sure it will cost you some extra time, ink, and stamps, but you will know your exact distance before your ride pack every leaves your fingers.

Keep good records and receipts.

Good luck!

:newyear:
+1 on the credit card thing...they put a hold on JC's and tried calling him, but we we're riding, my bank is a tad slower and called when I was finished... Jc was wondering why his card wasn't working

·
Registered
347 Posts
+1 on the suncreen, but for your face and the back of your neck. Please wear gear when riding. You may not think so, but you will stay cooler with a jacket on than without one. Wind burn and sunburn don't feel good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts