Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, my idle on my 95 ex500 was at around 1,100 rpms, and it sounded bad, so i decided to raise the idle. the book says the idle should be 1,150-1,250. i raised the idle and its running between the 1,250-1,400 rpm range. is that ok, or can the slightly high idle cause any damage? thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know about the higher idle causing damage (I would seriously doubt it though) but you may want to look into getting a tune-up. Perhaps having your carbs cleaned if it seems to be running a bit rough...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
rpm's

NO it won't hurt anything...but like RadioSilence said look deeper into the situation..Plugs or carbs getting dirty are tell-tale signs. You may find i eading about racing that the big boys may set their idle at 3,000rpm to keep the lag time down when that are racing...that would be way to much for a street bike... could be valve adjustment time spark plug time bad gas, even carb cleaning or sync time...get it done don't let things get worse and ruin your summer...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
rpm's

NO it won't hurt anything...but like RadioSilence said look deeper into the situation..Plugs or carbs getting dirty are tell-tale signs. You may find i eading about racing that the big boys may set their idle at 3,000rpm to keep the lag time down when that are racing...that would be way to much for a street bike... could be valve adjustment time spark plug time bad gas, even carb cleaning or sync time...get it done don't let things get worse and ruin your summer...Keep aN ACCURATE logbook with everythng that you do time date and mileage and how much it cost to do tiengs,,,records are great as long as you keep them on paper or in the computer and accurate...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts