Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am a V2K rider but my wife found a pretty red 2006 VN 900 classic and it is a pretty good price and looks great. I want some honest opinions if would be condidered to be really high miles and maybe an issue? I am sure this bike was a commuter, my son recently bought a DR400S from this company and is pleased so I think they are good to deal with. I would appreciate any info you 900 owners could give.

Thanks Daddyo

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
With water cooling, personally I don't think that's high mileage. In the days of air cooling, maybe but now days that to me isn't allot. The bummer is that too many people are still in the "thats allot of miles for a bike" mode.

IMO that's not the case. I've known water cooled motors going over 200 K

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
A well maintained bike those miles are fine. I would be more interested in other wear and tear, Valves adjusted, fork seals, breaks, rotors, hoses, drive belt that sort of stuff.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you guys, I mostly look for knocks, rattles or smoke on a cold start up as a red flag right off. My wifes current VStar 650 has 21,000 on it and is a very strong runner, just too small for she says... I was just wanting input from 900 owners. I dont mind adjusting valves and belts etc. I hate messing with forks!!! not knowing the actual history i just want to go armed with as much info as I can, Thanks!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
That's barely broken in.

You should be able to EASILY get 100k or more out of a 900. There's a bunch of guys with over 200k on their 1500 Nomads.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
The 900 has shown to be well built and if Kawa is willing to give a 5 year unlimited millage warranty on it they must think it is built pretty well. I love my 900 and hope to keep it a long time. I would suggest you check the belt, try to find out about how the bike was maintained. One thing - ride it! See how it handles and if anything strange happens. If it has been maintained, the 900 should last you a long time.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, the bike is in Ontario so we might just go over and give her a look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A well maintained bike those miles are fine. I would be more interested in other wear and tear, Valves adjusted, fork seals, breaks, rotors, hoses, drive belt that sort of stuff.
Yes indeed. I believe it's critical that a bike was properly broken in in its infancy with the requisite break-in oil changes, early valve inspections/adjustments, etc.,etc. I see that so many new riders buy the bike, rip right out of the showroom, never give any thought to proper care, make their payments, get tired of those hefty payments, become delinquent in payments, then give it back to the bank or whomever. Usually the young kids regarding the above. Whoever gets this kind of bike next time (usually sold at auctions) will dearly pay. If not now then later.

Sooo many bikes listed on sites like Craigslist, etc. Many bikes flipped on CL. Read those ads carefully...

Just my thoughts from my observations
Dean
Seattle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts