Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the market now for an ew bike. Ive been saving forever but it wont mater as long as i buy the right bike. Now i know the Suzuki gsxr600's are amazingly fast and the zx6rr are too but they are extrememly expensive as well as on insurance and not a good bet for a beginer. How has everyones 500's done so far for them. Is it fast nuff? And think i could beat a 2003 stock honda civic?

p.s. anyone got any statistics like quarter mile time etc on a Katana 600?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
the 500R is faster than you'll know what to do with, not only will it beat a '03 civic, it'll be a '04 corvette, and stick right with a Z06 corvette, thats with the bike being stock, the 500 has the capabilities of running in the 12s on the 1/4 mile. top speed is about 125-140, I'd say it should be fast enough, and you'll save enough on insurance to invest heavily in gear.

gear: www.newenough.com

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

thanks man! but i learned a long time ago not to race bikes with my cage :wink:
its only for putting mustangs in there place :lol:

behind me :twisted:

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Dommer said:
Our truck driver at work bought his first bike lat summer. It's a 96 CBR 600. He told me last week he's going to sell it and get a biger bike.
your truck driver is insane, I looked at buying a '07 cbr 600 in march and that thing is fast. if he thinks he needs something bigger after that short a period of time he needs to get off of a motorcycle forever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
He's a good rider and can handle the 600. Although he can't do 140 through a turn he wants more acceleration.

I think if your gonna buy a bike and you have self control you can get 600 no problem. I started riding sport bikes (and still riding) with my 95 ZX-7R . I just keep in mind it's capable of more then I can handle and when I drive in trafic of around a tight corner I respect the bike and go easy. I realize not everyone is capable of doing this.

I allways recomend to go spend a summer on a dirt bike. You get real use to quick decision making and close calls when the rear end comes out from under you.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
with 4 years riding experience and owning an ex500a myself I would have to agree, it will be fast enough.

In the past I've owned:
Suzuki Bandit 600S
Suzuki SV650S
Yamaha FZR600
and although I've enjoyed all these bikes the 500 seems to give that "goldylocks just right" feeling.

Great ergos, cheap insurance and commutes well.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think that you can learn on anything, just don't try to do too much. I know plenty of people who had never been on a bike before and were fine on a 600. It all depends on what you're comfortable on. If you're afraid of the 600's then don't start on one. You can kill yourself just as quick on a EX500 (or 250) than on a 600 if you are stupid and try to do things that you aren't prepared for. I rode dirt my whole life until I bought my ZX7. I wouldn't say that I was dumb for getting a 750 right off the bat, it was the right bike for me. I didn't ride too far out of my learning curve, and I have to say I am probably still learning and definetly getting faster all the time. Just my
Oh yeah, and don't do this.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
Dommer said:
I allways recomend to go spend a summer on a dirt bike. You get real use to quick decision making and close calls when the rear end comes out from under you.
Just my two cents.
I would recommend this also. I learned on a Honda XR250L dual sport riding on the road and off. So many things off roading can be applied to street driving. Specially getting caught in the sand and how to react. Most of the time I spent off road were on 4-wheeler trails and a 30 foot section of wet, soupy clay as a part of the trail. My first time through the clay section, I dumped that bike about 6-8 times. Lost both mirrors to rocks and trees (later invested in folding mirrors). After a summer of driving through the trails when I wasn't on the street, I was able to make it the entire stretch fishtailing, but not dumping. I think that is a skill that is very useful on the street. Specially when dealing with an over abundance of tar patched roads where I live in New York.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts