Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the deal, I went to the parts store and it was 3.25 for a quart of oil, non synthetic. there must be a gimmick. is castrol good enough, it is a third the price...

thanks

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be. I've been using Castrol GTX 10w40 in my bike since it was new back in 2001. I just recently started using Castrol Syntec Blend in the bike.

According to Kawasaki's Specs, the oil should be SE class SAE 10w40 at least, which according to Castrol, their oil surpasses this class and is at SJ class.

I also see that Castrol makes motorcycle oil that have a lot of addiatives in it specifically for the wear and tear of a bike. Haven't seen the stuff in any of my local stores though.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OIL

I wouldn't use anything less than synthetic in my bike! In the south 10-50, 20-50 and in the north 10-40. I believe that more important than the oil is the oil filter! Most everyone believes that you can go every-other oil change with out the filter. with todays synthetics it is reversed. the oil is so good that it is used in the aerospace and aviation industry from exterme heats on the ground to the extreme cold at elevations up to near 40,000'Above Sea Level. So I think that yo uwill find too that the filter is what traps the Crud or micron level of contaminants that are in your engine. IF you want to go through the process in you r own garage get some various oils adn put them in beakers and place a wooden paint stirrer in each one, then add the liquid nitrogen to the tray holding the beakers of oil. AMSOIL does this and seeing is believing. I even tried to up them one by bringing in a quart of PENNZoil Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmissio Fluid ATF Synthetic Blend...I had been a dealer and figured that perhaps they had chosen Havoline, Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobile 1, synthetics for a reason...adding in my atf was not a problem said the presentation director...lets jsut see what we get...so perhaps i was an un-believer...I'm sold on AMSOIL. I'm no longer a dealer. I live on a farm and I'm not able to get around and even though the price of the oil IS marked up so that the dealer makes a little on each things he/she sells IT is NOT enough unless you have some very large accounts, or you beat the pavement. IF the oil is good for 50,000 miles of once a year change...you run out of people in your hood really fast! I still buy my oil and filters through a farmer that buys it in bulk. It's not exactly fair, but like I said 5 quarts and a filter lasts a long time. I change my filter about every 10,000 highway miles or 5,000 local miles and then add the difference to fill it up...Filters get stuff in them the oil just doesn't break down. You have to wonder how they did aviation during WWI and WWII.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm using Castrol 10-40W because I've heard not to use synthetic on my specific bike until 2-3k miles and I'm only at 1200 now ;)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
IMPORTANT POINT

YES! YOu have to break it in first! Thank you for your timely correction,,,my oversight...It would take years to break in with synthetic oil...because the grooves would hold it and never allow it to wear enough!!!
How you doing? did you finally get out east and take those old roads that we talked about? Besides being away from the traffic they should be awesome for scenery!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well, I found a few roads towards the east. I'm not quite skilled enough to wind around the twisties on Hwy 88 out of Apache Junction. I went up there about 600 miles ago and had trouble focusing on breathing let alone riding heh. Although on the other side near Hwy 87 just to the north there is a very lazy road I've been practicing on... Mapquest says it's called "Bush Hwy." But I haven't actually looked at any road signs the countless times I've been by there. I'll probably make another attempt at Hwy 88 again since I've put a few more miles under my belt. Most of it is very low speed turns and a lot of slow moving cages. Thus my reason for being edgy on the first excursion. It was pretty interesting turning the 15mph rated corners at 30 with a very slight lean though. I just wish I had a track of my own I could practice on instead of having to pay a few hundred to ride on a track with people rushing all around me to go real fast. I definately don't have anything against speed... but only with experience should that factor be added in.

So on the whole... GREAT! ;)

I hear that riding with others is a good thing though... I suppose I'll have to try it sometime...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
COOL!

I'm waiting for my check to come in then I pull my bike out of the salvage yard. Have several things in order for it...get to that at some other time. There is a female on the FORUM from Phoenix...cant remember her name but she should be silted on the last couple of pages of members. Just be careful of those rocks, sand and cars crossing the line, then again stuff falling out of trucks like spare tires and oil bottles...any way happy to hear that you are havin ga great time between classes. I'm really excited about mounting mine in short time. she's yellow right now2002..1028 miles, Muzzy exhaust...anyway I'm looking at completely new bodywork although I only have to paint the upper fairing...and clip-ons, shaving the seat and an adjustable shock...among some of the changes. Then I'll be looking at some serious time with te ewife in the hospital for a kidney transplant and some heart work. I'm on ssdi for a bad back, but the bike is great physical therapy...already done the ride to figure it out. I'm excited about seeing a friend near Morenci, AZ, and a High School Chat friend in Mesa, AZ. Once things have settled down here and the wife is stable I'm going to need some time, and Karen's son is living here full time, her mom and sister will be here...and I'll get a breather. Chat with you later...be careful and keep those expensive rubber tires on the ground!

·
Registered
142 Posts
i ride a 2005 ninja 500r. i had a similar question. for my first oil change i inquired about the best oil for the bike. i called a kawi. dealer and the service tech said, "no matter what you do, do NOT use castrol 10/40 in your bike". this concerned me, mainly because my relatives own gateway tires. there main oil is castrol.(and free mind you). the kawi. tech said that the castrol will gum up your carbs. after inquiries, i resigned myself to the notion the tech doesn't know what's he's talking about. i hope i'm right. on the other note, do not use synthetic oil in your bike. i'm in the south too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts