Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you are suppose to only use aluminum-engine-safe antifreeze for the Ninja 500, so I was looking at the specs for the Prestone Dex-Cool, since i have some of that around. I didn't see it saying anything about being safe for aluminum engines, but i think it did say something about being safe for aluminum carbs. I don't remember if that was exactly it, and I don't have it in front of me right now, but basically it didn't specifically say that it was good for an aluminum engine.

Does anybody know if this is safe? I just want to be overly cautious. Thank you guys.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
DO NOT USE DEATH-COOL !!! there are so many other BETTER anti-freeze's out there. i just go to my dealer and pay 8$ for a gallon of the POLARIS pre-mixxed. plus you dont have dex-cool in your system now and you can NOT mix the red with the green.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DEATH-COOL? Can I get more information as to why DexCool is not good. Is that your opinion or is that something that is widely known. I know you can't mix, and I was going to do a total flush if I was going to change it in this cold weather (NYC), but is there are a reason Dex Cool is harmful. I've been reading some more on some BMW forums and some say DexCool is fine, if not for it's price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,I am a mechanic and dex-cool contains a diferent strain of acid than your other coolants the does not get along well with alluminum.I see it everday where it first corodes and then procededs to eat its way through it.(GM's dumbest idea ever)If you want a good coolant (i use this in everything)go to dennis kirk,it is called engine ice.Its a lil pricy but it drops your operating temp significantly and serves as an antifreeze.The DK part # is 30-3686.Last time I ordered it it wasnt in the catalog,I had to call them with the PT#. :smile:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Prestone vs/ Dexcool

Hey:
Just a thought. dont go crazy with antifreeze. Prestone works great in car engines and they too have aluminum parts in them. Mix it 50-50 and put it in. Its anti freeze and coolant. Bottom line. Glycol base will never freeze but the anti corrosive additives will eventually boil out. So change it every year. Its cheap enough. Remember 50-50 mix actually performs better than straight anti-freeze. As far as Dex-Cool, I dont trust GM for anything. Can you remember the last GOOD IDEA they came up with? (Cadilac T-4100) I still have nightmares about those engines. Your bike is a machine. Be maticulous and treat it well but dont go too crazy. Be more maticulous about safety. Check tire pressure regularly. do a general tightening up regularly. Lubricate control cables with light oil, not just WD 40. WD 40 is a great CLEANER but its lubricating properties dry up rapidly. You may want to flush and clean the cables with WD 40 but lubricate them with 3 in 1 machine oil. Change oil and filter regularly, oil works harder in a bike than in a car. Change it more often. Remember tires eventually wear. Dont wait till you start to slide to change them. It may be too late. Most important ""BE SEEN"" PUT AS MANY LIGHTS ON YOUR BIKE AS YOUR ELECTRICAL SYSTEM WILL ALLOW. High intensity LEDs work great. People in cars and now SUVs dont expect you to be there, especially when they're busy talking (or arguing with someone) on the phone. Light up their life. You may just make them realize that they're driving a car. Ride like your flying an airplane. Have your eyes all over the place. I could go on forever. Be safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Forget any extended life coolant. this stuff will attack any o-rings or other rubber seal it comes in contact with. Cummins deisel puts it in there engines and you will replace the water pump in a year from leaking o-rings.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Why fight what the factory recommends? Is it price you are worried about? Surely not, considering the tiny quantity motorcycle engines use. Then is it frequency of changes? Well, two years for coolant ain't that bad. I know you'd like to put something in and weld the cap shut, but ****, working on your bike is more fun than laying under the Dodge.
Use Kawachem with distilled water and change it about every two years and sleep well.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
T-man said:
, but ****, working on your bike is more fun than laying under the Dodge.
I"d say anything is better than lying under a dodge.... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts