Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:shock: Holy Moley!! I just called my local Kaw shop to inquire about the cost of my motorcycle chain. I was searchin online and I found a price of about $35, the shop wants $105 YIKES! Is there something I don't know about JC Whitney motorcycle chain?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
MarcusCSR said:
:shock: Holy Moley!! I just called my local Kaw shop to inquire about the cost of my motorcycle chain. I was searchin online and I found a price of about $35, the shop wants $105 YIKES! Is there something I don't know about JC Whitney motorcycle chain?
$35 bucks sounds a little too cheap. I don't know what size or type chain your looking at ,but you better look again. You might want to see if its an o ring chain?

·
Registered
806 Posts
There are a couple of online dealers who sell Kawa gear if you have the PN, can't remember their names but you should be able to google them. See what they are charging. That's a piece you sure don't want to be second guessing 1000mi from home.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I spent like ~105 for a DID chain for my ex500. Its a very good quality chain, but the $35 one is gonna be cheap as **** and not last.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
For $35 you get a standard chain with a low tensile strength. It will wear out quickly and require constant chain adjustment. In the $70 range you still get a standard chain, but with a higher tensile strength which will slow down the stretching of the chain but not the wear. for around $100+ you get the higher tensile strength will o-rings to help too minimize wear. So, how often do you want to adjust and replace your chain? You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
You do get what you pay for.

Going from a standard chain (adjustment every 2-4K miles was necessary)
to a cheapie chain (50-60ish bucks) (adjustment every 1K miles)
to the DID chain (no need for adjustment since I put it on in june or so. 7-8K miles and its still hasn't stretched at all)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts