Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming up on 52 and riding for the last 40 years or so, maybe 41 I never used to care about riding in the rain. Now I'm more inclined to cage it when the weather sucks like it does today.

Don't mind getting caught in it unexpectedly but when the choice presents itself I choose to be warm and dry. Old age or wisdom, or both? hmm, or

maybe it's oh crap now I have to wash the **** thing.

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Wisdom man!

I dont mind getting caught up in it...sometimes...but Im not foolish enough to go looking for it, or start a ride knowing its going to downpour on me!
(And I have only been riding for a year!)

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
I think it's just you getting old. :D

I've noticed that as I got older, I'm a little more picky about riding in the rain myself.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I didn't start riding until I was old, whatever that's worth. I don't mind riding home in the rain, but if it's raining when I'm leaving the house, I'll take the car. I don't really know what the difference is, but that's just the way I do it. I suppose if gas goes through the roof again, I'll ride in the rain a bit more.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
not sure...hmmm but will not ride if it's raining... but don't mind if out and got caught... but I ride for enjoyment, not as of necessity

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
I think that seems normal. Riding is fun when conditions are good, but can be miserable if it's bad weather and cold.

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
I used to ride in any weather, still ride down to 10f. With the many wide white strips at intersections even my Avon 200 tends to slip. At 52 I can't take the pucker factor anymore - I've kissed the pavement before and it ain't fun.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
NOOOOO...... Your becoming an S&S rider!!

Soon you'll be wearing a "poser" patch and hanging out at Starbuck's. :lol:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Depends on the time of year for me. I do not mind the rain, but I do not like being cold to the bone. I actually look forward to riding through a little weather. Its like a challenge. But, it rains here so infrequently, rain is a real treat for me.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I won't set out to ride in it. If it's raining when it's time to head to work or someplace else and it is raining or I know it will be, I'll cage it.

If I get caught in it (like last weekend), ya just suck it up and get home :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I won't set out to ride in it. If it's raining when it's time to head to work or someplace else and it is raining or I know it will be, I'll cage it.

If I get caught in it (like last weekend), ya just suck it up and get home :)
I guess that's my attitude too

·
Registered
473 Posts
I guess it's just something that comes with age, dave.
Even less than 10 years or so ago, I'd ride regularly during the winter. Just bundle up and go. No more. Generally, if it's below 55 degrees, I'll think long and hard about subjecting myself to doing that. Yeah, you can buy electric this and cold weather that, but it's just not worth it to me for stuff that just might get used 3-4 times/year.
I've never liked riding in the rain and will avoid it as much as possible. Sure, there are times when you just get caught in it and have no other choice, but I've never purposely set out to go riding when it's raining.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
As long as you're comfortable, fine. But if you have the option, bike & wet & cold , or cage & warm & dry, it's called common sense....at any age. :biggrin: 8)

·
KawiLove
2,933 Posts
Not old, just smarter. Riding in the rain is an unnecessary risk.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I didn't start riding until I was old, whatever that's worth. I don't mind riding home in the rain, but if it's raining when I'm leaving the house, I'll take the car. I don't really know what the difference is, but that's just the way I do it. I suppose if gas goes through the roof again, I'll ride in the rain a bit more.
The difference for me is being cold and wet at work in a room kept cool for the equipment as opposed to being cold and wet when I get home and being able to change my clothes.

Granted, I can just put on my rain gear for either ride, but then I have to stow the rain suit where it won't drip everywhere instead of just a little umbrella that can sit in the corner. At home, I can hang the suit up to drip over the bathtub.

The other issue is, when heading out in the rain, I have to figure out what to do with the wet cover, which I normally stow in my truck since I'm not driving it. When heading home in it, I park under a tree that I cable the bike to. That allows me to dry the bike off a bit before I grab the (dry) cover out of the truck. If I put it in there wet, it's staying wet.

·
07 Classic 1600
81 Posts
Not only do I not ride in the rain if I can help it but I have this "my age rule" when it comes to the temp. too. If the temp. drops below my age (61) then I don't ride the two wheeler either. And I might add that I also consider a Motel 6 as the closest thing to camping I'm going to do these days too. I find that less misery and more comfort goes well with my (ahem) older age...

Bumper

1 - 16 of 16 Posts