Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I have a sign on my car that says pull me over but it seems since I've been driving (I'm 26) I've gotten pulled over quite a few times but I've noticed since I've been riding for about 10 years as well I have never once been pulled over on my bike. I've actually never even seen a fellow cruiser pulled over.

So my question is do cops generally just leave cruisers alone or have I just been lucky? (knock on wood)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This might seem kind of a wierd since there is another thread around about a guy getting pulled over for lane splitting or whatever. But that thread got me thinking about how rare it seems to see a crusier pulled over.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Honestly, the times I've noticed people getting pulled over including myself it was usually that I was running modified exhaust and your local LEO could hear me coming "a mile away".

Ever since I've decided that stock exhaust is for me (knock on wood) I haven't been pulled over once in about 20 years now. That's on various models, and styles too.

·
Into the Wind
676 Posts
Just last weekend I saw two Harleys get pulled over after they passed us!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
My experience is that the owners of cruisers (and some dual sports) are more mature and less likely to attract attention of the police.

There are some cruiser riders that push the limit, and they get nailed, but for the most part they are people that just want to enjoy the ride and not be obnoxious.

·
Guilty By Association
650 Posts
i have done 70 in a 55 past numerous times not paying attention to my speed and none pull me over. i was gonna ask the same question, but i didn't wanna jinx myself---good job on that one.......j/k

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have done 70 in a 55 past numerous times not paying attention to my speed and none pull me over. i was gonna ask the same question, but i didn't wanna jinx myself---good job on that one.......j/k
haha well at least i'm not the only one that has noticed it! the other day I forgot where the city limit ends on the hwy and I was going 65 in the 50 zone because I hadn't made it past the city limits yet. Sure enough there was a State trooper sitting there waiting. I was like oh crap!! he pulled out but never tried to catch me or get close enough to run my tags. Just kept a slow pace behind me and eventually he must have turned off. I was ready to pull over and everything.

·
Registered
142 Posts
A cop once told me that they 'grace' motorcycles a few more MPH than they do cars since they are more manuverable.

·
Thread Killer
1,053 Posts
Honestly, the times I've noticed people getting pulled over including myself it was usually that I was running modified exhaust and your local LEO could hear me coming "a mile away".

Ever since I've decided that stock exhaust is for me (knock on wood) I haven't been pulled over once in about 20 years now. That's on various models, and styles too.
Yeah. I've never been pulled over in almost 40 years. But I rarely go much over the speed limit.

I think it *is* rare to see a cruiser pulled over by a cop. The last time I saw that the guy had......wait for it...... aftermarket pipes and he was deliberately making a he!! of a racket in the middle of a small town. You know what I mean: throttle blipping.

·
Registered
36 Posts
had a full face helmet on, stopped at red light, put sheild up. green light, took off. put sheild down in 2nd gear. ticket for no eye protection

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
A cop once told me that they 'grace' motorcycles a few more MPH than they do cars since they are more manuverable.
I have been told the same thing. The cop that told me that also said that they will watch to see a return to "normal" speeds as bikes tend to accelerate to higher speeds to avoid danger. That was a pretty cool conversation. He did go on to say that they light up sport bikes more often because of the wheelies and stoppies etc that cruisers just don't do.

That being said, I lived in Myrtle Beach for a long while and saw plenty of cruisers pulled over. Probably none for speeding, but plenty enough getting tickets. My guess would be exhaust.....

Saw more sporties getting impounded than cruisers even at the beach though. Jinxing myself here, but I have never been pulled over on either kind of bike. (please don't let it happen on my way home today!)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
They are scared of cruiser riders.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
I don't know if I have a sign on my car that says pull me over but it seems since I've been driving (I'm 26) I've gotten pulled over quite a few times but I've noticed since I've been riding for about 10 years as well I have never once been pulled over on my bike. I've actually never even seen a fellow cruiser pulled over.

So my question is do cops generally just leave cruisers alone or have I just been lucky? (knock on wood)
I rode with a group of sport bike riders a couple of years ago who "according to them" said the police didn't like them as they speed...ride on the edge...and run from the cops when chased. Somehow I knew then I wouldn't be riding with them again. Anyway...it was a group ride of about 30 riders. Two of us were on cruisers. While out riding we approaced a motorcycle officer coming from the opposite direction. I was at the back of the pack. When the officer approached me we both waved to each other. Later...when we all stopped for a break several of the sport riders came up to ask me why the cop waved to me. I smiled and said...we're both riding cruisers. :)

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Yeah, i agree that those riding cuisers tend to be more mature folks that aren't liable to be doing stupid crap on the roadway compared to sport-bikers (not that all sporties are immature or doing stupid crap). Basically the same reason that someone with a raced out import car (the fast and the furious style) is going to get more police attention than someone driving around a mini-van.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
I was pulled over for 65 in a 50 on my cruiser... at 4:45AM on my way to work. Officer was nice, gave me a "Failure to obey traffic signs" and sent me on my way... so, I guess cruisers are not prone to be pulled over... but then again, when I am riding on mine, I'm not burning up the asphalt, or doing wheelies and stoppies, or running from the cops... I am just happy to be riding!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts