Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After buying my first bike (vulcan 800 classic) my best friend wants to buy his first bike. He wants to get the new Meanstreak. He's 5'6" 160 lbs. I think this is way too much for him and told him he should stay around the 800 range like mine especially for his first bike. I'm 6'1" 260 lbs and my 800 has plenty of power. His he crazy for wanting this bike as his first bike?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

generally speaking YES he is :twisted: - considering his size and if he's
a new rider that's alot of scoot.its not the fastest hot rod bike but its dang sure a handful :p if he's a sure enough rider then i've seen smaller peeps on it.all i can say is he has good taste for a first bike-i remember when the 800
was a big bike :lol:

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
CRAZY--CLUELESS

Find a shop that will put him on the back of one...then tell him that you have arranged for him to take a ride...play it down. I'd (most of us would) love to be there to see it all unfold!

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK...I'm 48,5'5" 150 Lbs. and have been riding a 1975 Honda 360 for a year.I'm shopping and have also decided to buy a Mean Streak.I'm figuring ...what is the difference between an 800 at 600+ lbs. and a 1600 at 700? You don't have to ride it fast,right? Why all the fuss about 100 lbs? Or is it the added cost of repairs when I dump it? :) What a Beautiful Motorcycle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well actually he bought the bike this week and has already dropped it twice!!!! I told him it was too heavy for his size/experience. My bike weighs less than 550lbs and I feel very comfortable about its size. Even for me at 6'1", 260 lbs his mean streak felt very heavy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Under what conditions did he drop it? I've sat on alot of bikes this week and they all felt pretty much the same.Some of the smaller bikes,Volusia 800 and Honda Areo 750,I felt I was actually too low in the seat! One of my other choices is a Triump Speedmaster 855(aprox). The Triumph had a very similiar feel but I'm sure it weighs much less. Even I feel that to start out with a first bike the Mean Streak would be way too much. That's why I bought the 360. I'm also smart enough to know I still have some practicing to do before I go all out on my next bike.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

just another example of buying beyond your ability :roll:
breaks my heart to see any bike go down-especially a new meanie :cry:
he'll get the hang of it-just hope the bike makes it thru :lol:

"OK...I'm 48,5'5" 150 Lbs. and have been riding a 1975 Honda 360 for a year.I'm shopping and have also decided to buy a Mean Streak.I'm figuring ...what is the difference between an 800 at 600+ lbs. and a 1600 at 700? You don't have to ride it fast,right? Why all the fuss about 100 lbs? Or is it the added cost of repairs when I dump it? Smile What a Beautiful Motorcycle."

sillyworm,your size is not the issue,the 100lbs is not the issue and with a year of riding you should have a good feel for it
the issue is the bike-shaft drive,dual disc brakes,lots of power,superior
handling,all things the honda don't have.so for you its just gettin used to a new bike-but a first timer with a mean streak - i would never recommend it- 8)

·
Registered
41 Posts
sillyworm, with a year of riding under your belt, you should be fine on a Mean Streak. Like bikeaholic said, I would not recommend one for a first time rider, but with a year of riding, you've got a good feel for the physics of riding a bike and should do fine.

I had not ridden for about 20 years, then I took the MSF course and got a Virago 535. Rode that for about two months (700 miles), and felt like I was ready for a bigger bike (I do lots of long-distance cruising; if I was just riding around in town, the Virago would have been just fine). Fell in love with the Mean Streak and got a good deal on a year end close out on an '03. It is a LOT of bike, but pretty well-mannered for such a monster. I've only put about 300 miles on it so far (winter, dangit!), and I'm still inclined to take it easy until I get really used to it (should be about the time the break-in period is over). But it's an awesome bike and I'm ever so glad I got it.

From what I've read, there is not a considerable difference between the 1500 and the 1600 - you might still be able to find a deal on an '03!

P.S. I'm 47, 5'7", 170 lbs., 32" inseam, and the bike fits me like a dream.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks! Would $10,600 out the door be a good deal? Or should I try for more seeing that it's Feb? Can't find a 2003 in the area but there might be one somewhere.To drive too far would not be worth it.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Well here I go again putting myself in harms way !

The 800's are way underated when it comes to performance and prestige. But the fact is that for a lot less money you get very little loss in performance.

Meanstreak top speed = 112 mph VS Vulcan 800= 102mph
Quarter mile Meanie =13.5sec vs Vulcan 800= 13.7sec

In my book these differences are negligeable and the supposed power cruiser is one big letdown. Sort of like putting racing stripes on a tercel, it may look faster but it isn't.

The new 2,000cc Vulcan with a top speed of 130+mph and a 12sec quarter mile is really more power cruiser than any other V-Twin. But bear in mind that all these bikes will be left in the dust by a 500cc Ninja.

·
Registered
487 Posts
is my friend crazy???

sillyworm, a riding partner of mine just bought a 04 meanstreak with a kawasaki factory windshield in kentucky for 9900 out the door.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

my dealer has a 03 meanie tagged at 10,500 so it sounds like yours is knocking off tax,tag,freight,prep- not too bad but it could come down :wink:

and i agree with bob on the differences-i still maintain that the meanie is not the fastest
hot rod bike out there. it really excells in braking/handling not quickness :D

·
Registered
487 Posts
is my friend crazy???

yea you caught me. actually we live in missouri, but even so the tax on the bike was just under $600.00 so that brings it to $10,500, still room for negotiations or more accessories.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is my friend crazy??

sillyworm, I got mine in November 2003 for $9100 (not including tax, etc.). OTD it was $9571. I have heard of deals as low as $8700 on the '03s. Check on the internet for dealers in areas near you and call around. I can't believe dealers are still asking close to MSRP on '03s when the '04s with the bigger displacement are out now.

There may not be a huge difference in the power between the Mean Streak and the 800, but there is a huge difference in looks and handling! I bought mine because I read numerous reviews that said it handled and stopped like a sport bike, not because it is a "muscle bike."

I certainly would not recommend the Mean Streak for a first bike, but for someone with some experience (like sillyworm), it is the sweetest ride you can possibly imagine!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts