Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike: 2001 ZX9r

i dont know how i would have wrecked my motor.... i layed my bike down (see my other thread) and when i got up and brushed myself off, the bike engine was not running, so it cut off on it's own somehow

i tried to turn it over with the starter immediately after the wreck and it did turn over

2 days later now that ive started to work on it and i cant get it to turn over with the starter. i've got nearly all of the electrical stuff connected from where i disconnected it all to remove the subframe

here's where im unsure...

i have my bike up on a stand. i put it in 6th gear and tried to grab the tire and turn it to make the motor turn over (not trying to start it, just trying to see if anything is locked up) and i could just barely make it turn over. it was very tough. i had to use all of my force to get one stroke out of the pistons, even in 6th gear.

so i decided to remove the spark plugs to see if it would turn over easier

now ive worked on several 2 stroke motors, but not a 4 stroke yet. i know on a 2 stroke if you remove the plugs the pistons will spin freely in the cylinder.

when i took the plugs out of my bike i could just barely notice a difference as far as ease of turning the motor over by grabbing the rear wheel and pushing on it. it was still very very tough to do, hardly any easier.

im thinking the thick valve springs are still going to give some resistance as opposed to a 2 stroke. but should it still be that difficult to turn the motor over even though there is no compression?

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
can't help on the mechanic side but i can tell you that your bike probably has a tilt sensor where it automatically shuts the engine off if the bike is laid over. Good luck with what your working on, maybe the sensor went bad?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the sensors wouldnt effect the ability for the motor to turn over manually thought, right (as in grabbing the tire and forcing it over)

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
My 650R has an auto shutoff when lying on its' side. But, if I understand the manual, just turning the key off and restarting it allows it to run normally. I don't think that this is your problem, but might be worth checking out.

Question: What gear was your bike in when you manually tried to turn it? Putting it in its' highest gear will make it easiest (and of course, the lowest is the hardest). Kinda why you put it a higher gear when pushing it off to start it.

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
With the plugs out, it should turn over easier. Haven't look at your other thread. Could you have knocked something out of alignment that might make it hard to turn. Can it turn over with the plugs out and rear wheel disconnected?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well something must seriously be wrong with the motor. i dont know how though, because there is no visable damage to the motor on the outside, so im not sure how the interenal workings of it would have broken in the wreck if there were no signs of damage on the exterior

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I would venture to guess, without tearing down the motor, that your pistons are welded to the cylinder sleeves.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what would cause that to happen in a wreck? the bike flipped times several and then slid

it could not have been running on it's side for more than 10 seconds MAX, so i'm inclined to think that that shouldnt have been the problem.... or is it?

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
bike: 2001 ZX9r

im thinking the thick valve springs are still going to give some resistance as opposed to a 2 stroke. but should it still be that difficult to turn the motor over even though there is no compression?
NO. You should be able to turn it with the kick starter very easily.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
If it tried to start with the starter before, and doesn't now, I'd say you missed a connector somewhere, or somehow broke/blew a fuse.

As for the turning over, without plugs is should be relatively easy to spin in 6th. Flipped three times? Geeze d00de! Look at your case covers on the sides of the bottom of the motor. If your bike impacted on one of them, it could be pressed against the crankshaft. If the bike is level, try taking the case cover, or covers off and see if it spins freely. Some oil may leak out, but not much if the bike is level.

Added thought: If it flipped three times, you should spend the money to have the frame alignment checked before you go spending any major cash on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts