Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cruisers? I usually stay pretty close to speed limits on the cruisers that I've owned, but when riding this 650R, I look down and I'm always speeding. It feels comfortably slow, and then I realize I'm doing 75 in a 45 zone. I keep thinking my speedo is wrong or something. I made some vids Sunday, and I was going pretty fast (for me) thru those curves. I thought I was going slow when riding, so I was suprised to watch the vid and see the speedo. It was 32 degrees, so I was going slow on purpose to avoid any ice patches. Dang - these bikes are just plain quick if that speedo is anywhere close to right. I love the handling, but I'm gonna lose my license driving this thing. Are the speedometers typically wrong on these bikes?

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
They aren't THAT far wrong! :D

You're experiencing something that's pretty normal, IMO. I went through the same thing when going from my cruiser to my sportier bikes. The 650 just goes through corners so much better that you don't realize how much quicker you can ride it. it was far more apparent to me that I was riding faster when i rode with my friend who was on his Vulcan 800. I just rode away from him in the curves. I didn't feel like I was pushing hard in the curves, just that they are so much easier in them.

You'll get used to it. Just watch the speed!!! :D

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Sportys are powerful maneuverable very stable at high speed and LIGHT!

First time I merged onto the freeway and really let er rip on my ZZR I was doing something like 110 indicated, I thought I was at 75 or so!

You get used to it, just keep an eye on that speedo and soon you'll get the feel for it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yeah, sports cut through air resistance so much easier than cruisers. You don't feel like you're going as fast because you don't have the usual "signs": things like less clothing flapping in the wind, a full faced helmet, a more aerodynamic seating position and quicker 0-60 times.

Racing around with a couple cruiser guys, there's a point at about 50mph that the cruiser will pull much harder than my 500 but past 80 the wind starts slowing them down. If I tuck in I have a huge advantage.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
your perception of what speed you are going hasn't adapted yet. do some riding in traffic, note the speed and pay attention to the sound of the motor... not going into all of it, you know what to look for.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
your cruisers?

YES.

In terms of performance, even the fastest cruisers compared to any 600cc and up sport bike/sport tourer are in totally different worlds.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
your cruisers?

YES.

In terms of performance, even the fastest cruisers compared to any 600cc and up sport bike/sport tourer are in totally different worlds.
My man Stefano knows what he's talking about. It's just a change of mindset.

·
Old Man Riding
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What was so odd was that I actually thought I was going fairly slow, and I had to watch to vid to realize that I was going faster. This is definitely going to be some fun riding. Warm weather can't get here fast enough. :)

Note to 'old' guys(like myself): Consider getting one of these bikes, or at least ride one a few times. I never knew what I was missing. Totally different riding experience.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
man....you are SOOOOO in the same spot that I was 2 years ago. You're gonna have a ball! Everyone who owns a cruiser should also have one of these to go have fun on every once in a while.

·
Registered
649 Posts
That's exactly what I did. Got a 2004 ZRX1200R (made into a naked standard before delivery) just so I could have the best of both worlds in the garage...love them both! Like having a wife (cruiser) and a mistress! (fast and HOT).

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
From personal experience, that spedo has nothing to do with it. :biggrin: Going from a cruiser to 650R, you'll have a serious adjustment period of keeping that baby in check. So much less weight to deal with for an engine that, relatively speaking, just plain puts out more oomph.

No worries on losing your license, though - I went thru seven months of owning a 650R after a VN900B and not a single ticket to my credit (of course, that just means I was never caught!). :twisted: As others said, you just have to force yourself to be more aware of what you're doing with that throttle, and just resist the insanely irresistable urge to behave out there ( or at least just make sure no one with a radar gun is watching :lol: ).

·
Registered
533 Posts
so here is my question... why do you want to ride a bike that you know is gonna only feel challenging (fun) when you are trashing the speed limits... Now, over the years I have constantly ridden a little and occasionally a lot over the speed limit... but, I have fun (challenge) every time I ride around a sweeping corner on a cruiser...(oh and a comfortable seating position)

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Dave, it's probably mostly about change of pace. I love my cruiser, and there are times that I just want to enjoy the scenery. There are other times though that I find myself wanting to ride past what the cruiser is capable of. by that, I mean leaning into curves, etc. It scrapes down far to early. I have the 650 for those times when I want to pump up the thrill-meter a bit. I always ride within my limits though. It's just a fun change of pace.

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts
If you think the handling and sense of speed is different on a 650R, wait until you try a true supersport (or even a hypersport). Corner speeds that scared me on the 650R are nothing for the Hayabusa. There is no comparison in the handling of the two bikes. It's as different as the 650R is to the cruiser once again!

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
so here is my question... why do you want to ride a bike that you know is gonna only feel challenging (fun) when you are trashing the speed limits... Now, over the years I have constantly ridden a little and occasionally a lot over the speed limit... but, I have fun (challenge) every time I ride around a sweeping corner on a cruiser...(oh and a comfortable seating position)
Admittedly, I would be going faster in the Four Corners region on the 650R than on my Vulcan ( it kinda begs for it :) ), but I wouldn't quite call it 'trashing' the limit. Like Dave said, it's all about a change of pace. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts