Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just bought my first bike and im 33. Its not junk but its and old bike. Im finding that the more i search on bikes the more i find that some young 18 or 20yo kid has just bought a new 2006 or better crotch rocket like they just went out back and dug up a big pile o money. Im just getting real jaded on the whole thing. I guess its not just bikes but just the fact these kids have so much money to burn and i cant figure out where it comes from! You cant have THAT much experience at that age to have some badass job. Even if they did, how do they afford insurance for that wicked rocket???? Or do some just ride illegally? Maybe some of them are actually going hungry or cutting back somehow in order to ride, which i commend. But man, im just like - OK i have bills, rent/mort., GAS PRICES and just the general cost of living like most of us and can barely afford any gear and there goes another kid blasting by on some new ZX whatever with a wicked Aria or Shoei helmet and im like 'christ what gas station do i have to rob to get this stuff?' Sorry this is more of a rant, i really think im starting to get old finally.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I think banks will give pretty much anyone a 10 year vehicle loan now. That and and a parent's co-signature is all they need.

I've also seen threads where newbie riders comment on putting a new bike on the road without adaquete insurance, just ot keep costs down. Seems very niave to me, but who am I, right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
either there paying the bank a whole lot of money or they have parents that have lots of $$. I just got my first bike a few months ago and I got a deal from a buddy of mine, its older but it still has a lot of life left in it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
LoL im 20, and I have a rice rocket, its an older 95 ninja zx6r but still badass. I know wat you mean by where the hell they are getting the money. I paid for mine by hard work and saving up for a long time.
When I was in high school most of the kids who had brand new bikes or brand new sports cars got them from their parents. Spoiled kids! ^_^

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
well for one Kawi financing will let just about anyone get a new bike.
for two alot of 18 to 20 yrs old live with their parents and don't pay other bills.
but just because their 18 or 20 doean't mean they don't have their head on straight either I was working full time as an Auto tech at 17 and had a brand new atv. by 22 I had a new condo and a new truck and a new motorcycle. Its all about money management. I never went to college and I have no kids so where else would you spend the $$$

·
Addicted to riding…
1,892 Posts
You know, I have wondered this too, when I see young guys (early 20s) with 3rd gen Mazda RX7s, or RX8s! I work my butt off, and can't even afford to buy a house in the town I live in! I think it must be a "parents with money" thing, or maybe these guys are just going into huge debt while they're young (not a good thing).

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
You're old.

I'm 40 and didn't get my bike 'til I was 39 (a used '03 500R). And like you, I get p!ssed when I see all of these kids with their new bikes with no plates on yet. When I'm driving with my wife I always ask the same thing, "Why don't I have one of those? Why do I have to ride a used 500R--I want a Z1000...hell, I'll 'settle' for a 650R". And she says the same thing to me, "You own a home now, we have a kid on the way...oh, and you said that Kawasaki would give anyone financing at 7.99% for the first two/three years and then they screw those kids big time with the 'real' payment". "Oh yeah, that's right", I tell her.

When you're a kid living at home with your parents, you can have that new '08 bike. When I was that age I had a $2,500 sound system in a $5,500 Sentra (that was the new price!). I also had $5,000 drum set and when I decided that I wanted to skate Hockey, I was able to dump 2 grand in one month for equipment--that will never happen today. I make three times what I did at that time but I still have to budget for a $50 Wii game because of the mortgage. Okay, it's not quite that bad but you get my point.

Again, I reiterate...you're old. Old = mortgage/rent, car payment, bike payment, two or more insurance payments (for cars and home), food, utilities, etc. Young = a motorcycle payment and insurance. I want a new 650R or Z1000--but I'm not willing to move back in with my parents.;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Some of us just have the extra money from nonsupporting ourselves entirely yet.

I'm 21, Grand total I have about $10 grand into my ninja including gear which $8,000 of it is on a Kawi financing card (which I have to pay about $900 a month on or the financing institution forks you over big time). I live with my cousins though so I only pay my insurance on my car and bike, my monthly payments on my car and bike, credit card bills, student loans and gas. i don't think I could afford to buy another bike after I have to move out next year since rent is between $700 and $1200 here on Long Island, NY :(

But also I make about $45,000 a year so I'm not entirely a poor kid either heh

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
You know, I have wondered this too, when I see young guys (early 20s) with 3rd gen Mazda RX7s, or RX8s! I work my butt off, and can't even afford to buy a house in the town I live in! I think it must be a "parents with money" thing, or maybe these guys are just going into huge debt while they're young (not a good thing).
Around these parts it is a big competition on who's kids have the best "stuff". We have high schoolers driving around in brand new cars and trucks that they could never afford. It got so bad that the 8th grade valentine dance had to put rescrictions on lemos. and what people were spending on dresses and jewelery - this is the 8th grade for cripe sake.:mad:

As to getting nice cars and houses, you just need to learn how to work the system. Lady I work with has an ex - daughter in law that is an expert. She has 2 kids (high school and college). Takes all the money away from them that they get as gifts and relies on ex husband and ex in-laws to provide all their clothes, school supplies, etc even though she still gets child support. She has had 3 brand new very expensive houses in the last year or so. She goes in and "buys" a new house. Moves in and never pays a dime. After 4 or 5 months they evict her. She goes and buys another one and does the same thing. This woman has a part time job - minimum wage - and claims to be a "student" and has all sorts of grants and loans for students. She has a new car (we don't know if she pays for it or not) and parties almost every night. Now these houses aren't dumps, the last 2 were in exclusive gated communities near Houston. Stuff like this is why the housing market/banks are in such trouble now. We have tried to figure out how she can manage to keep doing this but we have no idea. Think how many there are scamming the system like this - and you wonder why prices are so high.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Perhaps a lot of the above, but I think it has more to do with priorities. At 33, you are probably socking away a lot more money than the average 20 year old, and I'll bet that a hot new bike is just not as important to you as it would be to them...

just a guess.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Nah...you're just old!

:-o :shock: :-o Did I say that out loud? Oops....sorry about that! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:wink:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Dont go near a university town then.

Most of the kids here are from Ontario on their parents money and can't tell their *** from grass.

Unless they're smoking it. Then they can really tell the difference.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
You must live in Plano!

Around these parts it is a big competition on who's kids have the best "stuff". We have high schoolers driving around in brand new cars and trucks that they could never afford. It got so bad that the 8th grade valentine dance had to put rescrictions on lemos. and what people were spending on dresses and jewelery - this is the 8th grade for cripe sake.:mad:

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm 17 and i'm going to be saving my money to get a 650r for my first bike. I might be 18 by the time I save enough but oh well. Thanks to the great advice you guys have given me, I have decided not to cosign with my parents because I do not want to risk hurting their credit even more than it is due to my siblings being irresponsible and not paying their monthly payments on their vehicles. The wait is gonna suck but I will get over it. Besides, I still got a lot I need to learn about owning a bike.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
You, son, are more the exception than the rule! :)

I'm 17 and i'm going to be saving my money to get a 650r for my first bike. I might be 18 by the time I save enough but oh well. Thanks to the great advice you guys have given me, I have decided not to cosign with my parents because I do not want to risk hurting their credit even more than it is due to my siblings being irresponsible and not paying their monthly payments on their vehicles. The wait is gonna suck but I will get over it. Besides, I still got a lot I need to learn about owning a bike.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
and I bet your parent thank you for that more than you know because I am sure it is hard for people to have to say no to there children.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
and I bet your parent thank you for that more than you know because I am sure it is hard for people to have to say no to there children.

LOL My parents didn't allow me to have ANY street bike, let alone pay for it.

I hardly convinced them to let me buy a used dirtbike in high school.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
Nope, not at all, heck I probably say it on a daily basis! :) But Dad, that's not fair! Little Johnny gets a new cell phone. :-( Yeah, so. Who ever told you life was fair! Sure as heck not me, and as soon as you save your money you can go blow it on a shiny new phone as well. ;-)

We gladly help our kids out, but they earn their own money and after food/clothes/school, they're paying for it themselves. Our oldest boys, now both 17 have been buying all their own xboxes, nintendo game consoles and games for as long as I can remember. We helped them buy used cars, but they're responsible for their own insurance, gas, maintenance etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nope, not at all, heck I probably say it on a daily basis! :) But Dad, that's not fair! Little Johnny gets a new cell phone. :-( Yeah, so. Who ever told you life was fair! Sure as heck not me, and as soon as you save your money you can go blow it on a shiny new phone as well. ;-)

We gladly help our kids out, but they earn their own money and after food/clothes/school, they're paying for it themselves. Our oldest boys, now both 17 have been buying all their own xboxes, nintendo game consoles and games for as long as I can remember. We helped them buy used cars, but they're responsible for their own insurance, gas, maintenance etc.

I have been buying all the "toys" I like with my own job money. right when I turned 14, I got my first job working at a grocery store. I couldn't wait to get a job and actually start getting paid money. I hate using my parents money because I know they had to work hard to earn it. One day I hope I can pay them back from all the help they have given me.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts